Support:

Services at Home

Search in Community:
Poster
PatrickL

Appalling Broadband speeds/ping times

Hello there,
Iv been a customer of Vodafone at Home(7mb package) since they started rolling out broadband, I used to get Good speeds of 3mb(3072/340 kbps). Prior to this whole BT fiasco.
But recently the ping times and speed of my connection is very poor during peak times.
I cant even look at low quality videos on youtube without it stopping and starting. Now when i started with vodafone first my connection very rarely dropped below 2.7mb, but now its mostly 1.2mb all the time, no matter if i log on early in the morning or late at night and ping times and speeds are horrible, i get 132ms to dublin servers, it used to be 16-20ms, and i get 120ms to servers in london and netherlands(was 40-50ms).
And recently something happened to my connection and it went down for 3 days, after i sorted it out with vodafone, they said that the line was only capable of 2mb speeds, I cannot understand this, like, iv had my 3mb connection for 2 years prior, was very satisfied, and now suddenly they say i can only get 2mb stable? Its crazy.
So after 2 years my line suddenly isnt capable of 3mb, This i cannot tolerate and i want it fixed, iv rang a good few times asking very nicely and politely for it to be put up to 3mb again, But if my profile is changed to 3mb, my connection will crash(or so they say). Im absolutely fed up of this.

Just to some up what i want done: I want my connection set back to 3mb, my ping times fixed and my contention ratio lowered.

This speed test below is an example of the speeds that i got for the past 2 months.
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Moderator (Retired)
Nick from Vodafone

Re:Appalling Broadband speeds/ping times

Hi PatrickL,

If you PM/mail me your land line number I'll check your line and mail you back with an update :D.

Cheers.

Nick
Vodafone View Team.
I am no longer a moderator - Please contact Daz if you need to send a private message.
Message 2 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
PatrickL

Pm'd
Message 3 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
dunnocks

Pm'd

You are wasting your time...Mine still sin't sorted..Gonna spend my time now spreading the bad word of vodafone broadband
Message 4 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Moderator (Retired)
Nick from Vodafone

Hi PatrickL,

I've sent you a PM please check :D.

Cheers.

Nick
Vodafone View Team.
I am no longer a moderator - Please contact Daz if you need to send a private message.
Message 5 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
PatrickL

Hi PatrickL,

I've sent you a PM please check :D .

Cheers.

Nick
Vodafone View Team.

Got it, thanks for the quick reply.
Will the issue of ping time and contention ratio also be sorted?
Also my line is capable of alot more than 3mb, just to tell you as an example, I successfully got a few fast download speeds about 5MB 2 months ago.....
Now i tried explaining this to customer support, but they didnt believe me at all, they said that my line was only capable of 3mb, they still wouldnt believe me.....
Then i explained that the data that was transfered between me and a server was hard raw data, that the data was was downloaded over a period of 10 seconds was actually downloading at 500Kb/s, and in that space of 10 seconds i downloaded 5mb of data, but then the cap kicked in and reduced it down to 300Kb/s(or 3mb as i like to call it).
Message 6 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Moderator (Retired)
Nick from Vodafone

Hey PatrickL,

Don't know if you received my last PM but in short I said we'll increase it, test it for a week, see how it goes and increase it again if the line is keeping a stable connection :D.

Cheers.

Nick
Vodafone View Team.
Message 7 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
PatrickL

Has the Connection speed been increased yet???
Message 8 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
PatrickL

Here is my landline number, I want my connection speed increased now please, ******
How much longer should i have to wait to get this done?
Message 9 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz
Topics: 8
Kudos: 329
Solutions: 208

Here is my landline number, I want my connection speed increased now please, ******
How much longer should i have to wait to get this done?

Hi Patrick,
The line is already at the maximum it can take.
There is currently no further upgrade we can perform to increase the speed.
Learn all about our new forum, right here .
If I've requested details via a private message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link may not be answered.
Message 10 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
PatrickL

Hi Patrick,
The line is already at the maximum it can take.
There is currently no further upgrade we can perform to increase the speed.

Just took this pic using vodafone router , i unplugged all the home phone that were connected using splitters.
And this is what i got from my vodafone router, Now according to this i should be able to recieve 4480kbps max.
Message 11 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

Just took this pic using vodafone router , i unplugged all the home phone that were connected using splitters.
And this is what i got from my vodafone router, Now according to this i should be able to recieve 4480kbps max.

That's correct, however the line is graded as a 2mb line by our supplier, which means that the speed cannot exceed this cap until it is regraded.
Lines are periodically reviewed, but a review cannot be requested by us, our supplier undertakes this themselves.
If I've requested details via a private message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link may not be answered.
Message 12 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
PatrickL

That's correct, however the line is graded as a 2mb line by our supplier, which means that the speed cannot exceed this cap until it is regraded.
Lines are periodically reviewed, but a review cannot be requested by us, our supplier undertakes this themselves.

Ahh rite, so your supplier is Eircom, of course, So would a normal technician be able to grade the line that works for Eircom?
I know a fella and he deals with stuff at my local exchange, so would be be able to regrade it? Or is it something that is dealt by Eircom as a whole? I could ring eircom and try and make them to regrade my line, i know a friend who is a non-eircom customer, he asked to talk to the the highest rank technician or some sorts like that over the phone, and they re-graded his line.
Thank you for for bearing with my questions Daz, you are always a very helpful person.
Message 13 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

Ahh rite, so your supplier is Eircom, of course, So would a normal technician be able to grade the line that works for Eircom?
I know a fella and he deals with stuff at my local exchange, so would be be able to regrade it? Or is it something that is dealt by Eircom as a whole? I could ring eircom and try and make them to regrade my line, i know a friend who is a non-eircom customer, he asked to talk to the the highest rank technician or some sorts like that over the phone, and they re-graded his line.
Thank you for for bearing with my questions Daz, you are always a very helpful person.

It's certainly worth a try, and if you could let us know how you get on, that'd be appreciated too.

Thanks!
Message 14 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
PatrickL

It's certainly worth a try, and if you could let us know how you get on, that'd be appreciated too.

Thanks!

Seen as this problem isnt going to be sorted any time soon by eircom, could you please change my profile to low ping/interleaving please Daz? How long will it take for the change to take effect?
Message 15 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
beeforsam

I couldn't agree more, we just switched from an eircom package I think it was 2mb or maybe 3mb.

We were happy with phone and service but found sites such as youtube and a football radio and match viewing subscription stopped and started. Vodafone rep showed us eircom speed well below what we were paying for and convinced us to sign up for 7mb package. Just checked the speed on the vodafone and it's even slower than the eircom one was eventhough we are paying for a faster connection than that of eircom.

Checked the football site, still stopping and starting.

Total waste of time.

Also from reading the above posts why do the vodafone reps sell packages of these faster speeds if people's phone lines aren't capable of supporting them? Mis-representation if not fraud surely?

Really not happy at all
Message 16 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

I couldn't agree more, we just switched from an eircom package I think it was 2mb or maybe 3mb.

We were happy with phone and service but found sites such as youtube and a football radio and match viewing subscription stopped and started. Vodafone rep showed us eircom speed well below what we were paying for and convinced us to sign up for 7mb package. Just checked the speed on the vodafone and it's even slower than the eircom one was eventhough we are paying for a faster connection than that of eircom.

Checked the football site, still stopping and starting.

Total waste of time.

Also from reading the above posts why do the vodafone reps sell packages of these faster speeds if people's phone lines aren't capable of supporting them? Mis-representation if not fraud surely?

Really not happy at all

Hi there,
If you can send over your landline number I'll see what we can do to improve this for you.
With regard to the reps advising speeds, these lines are graded by our supplier, so the reps are merely advising the speed that the supplier have marked the line as.

Patrick, I can't find your number, if you email it over I'll get the interleaving modified for you.

Thanks!
Message 17 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
beeforsam

thanks DataDaz I have PMed you my number and info from latest speed test report.
Message 18 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
beeforsam

Thanks for the reply DataDaz i have replied.

rather than it all being PM and maening that other people have to do the same to find out the answer I will post what's being said in the PMs

DataDaz pointed out that I was using the external splitter and I shouldn't as there's an splitter in the modem, this could affect speeds.

I replied that I had already tried plugging the phone into the modem (as suggested in another thread here) and the modem into the wall plug but it didn't really help with the speed and meant that the phone would only make out going calls. It wouldn't ring or receive incoming calls while plugged into the modem. So no help at all.

Even removing the phone altogether and just plugging the modem into the wall jack does very little for speeds.

Also DataDaz I forgot to say that there is a buzzing on the phone when it's plugged into the external splitter and when it's plugged into the one in the modem.

I'll keep you all updated when I get a reply
Message 19 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

Hi there,
Would you mind trying the update found here if you haven't already done so?

Thanks!
Message 20 of 20 (15,287 Views)
Please use plain text.