Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Other Devices

2G SIM card

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Regular

Is it still possible to get an older 2G sim card?

I've a GPS tracker coming for my car and it requires an older 2G and not 3G sim card.

Thanks

View more options
36 REPLIES
Regular

Bumpidy bump Smiley Happy

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya,
In a way, yes - there's a function available at our end to disable 3G data traffic.

Normally the service uses 3G as a primary, with a fallback option to 2G when needed - we can turn off that function.

Thanks,

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Regular

Thanks.

But It has to be the older 2G type sim card to work in these Car GPS trackers. 

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hmmmm... not sure then, we can pop you out a modified SIM card in the post to test?

Alternatively, there's a thing called Eiroffice, which uses a data terminating number to carry traffic, this may be what you're looking for - we supply them for fleet owners to use in lorry trackers.

Thanks,

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Regular

Thanks, maybe one of those options might be helpful.

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cool, I can ask one of the team to give you a call and check out the data terminating option - I'll also credit the first month, so you can test without incurring a cost?

Thanks,

View more options
Poster

i have a same problem, cant find a 2G sim card for my tracking device... did you got solution?

spec. for my device.

• GSM Band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz (compatible with most Australian GSM networks)

View more options
Poster

i am in trouble with my electric gates i never topped up and now sim is cancelled with meteor.

i bought a sim from vodafone on sat with vodafone, i registered it and recieved 10 free credit,

i have put it in to box for the gates and the gates wont work it keeps ringing out. i phone the man who installed the gates and he says it needs to be a 2g sim for it to work, its a old system and 3g or 4g wont work the gates, is it possible to get a 2g sim for the gates. 

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there,

If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, I should be able to get the 3G on that sim disabled for you.

Mobile number associated with the gates:
Address:
Date of birth:

sim number:
Link to your thread or post:

Regards

Sean

If I've requested details via a private message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link may not be answered.
View more options
Poster

Hi All ,,

I'm new to this forum ..so forgive me if I've screwed up by posting HERE ..

I also have a similar problem as described above. and have a couple of 'old' SIMS that somehow I managed to 'keep alive' by top-ups ! 

One mobile-phone-provider TESCO cancelled my contract - cut me off - even though I had credit in my account, " Thank you for your email. If you do not make a Credit Top Up to your Account, or use your SIM Card for 6 months, your Account and any outstanding Credit on your Account will be suspended. "

If .. 

Moderator (Retired)
could help me out with a Vodafone 2G SIM . I would be very gratefull ... I have been a Vodafone Customer for many years . 088 - - - - - -  !! ? 1992 I think ? 
View more options
Valued Poster

They only suspended the account, Top up again and it'll be good to go.

The day of idiots is upon us!!!!
View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, I can look into this for you?

Vodafone mobile number:
SIM card number:
Address:
Date of birth:
Link to your thread or post:

Thanks,

View more options
Poster

Hi there... 

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought 2 GPS tracker watches for my kids. 

They're in the post and they're mad excited about them getting here as they heard they can talk to us through the watches.

I don't have the heart to tell them now that I can't find the 2G SIM cards anywhere and they're going to be useless!

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

I really have a preference for Vodafone as the signal is great all around my town, not so good on other networks.

Cheers,

Bren.

View more options
Poster

Hi Daz, Is there any way you can disable my sim so that it only works on 2G...needed to get messages from and to my alarm. Thanks..  Alan

View more options
Community Expert
He cannot do that I'm afraid.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Poster

Hello

I also have an alarm that only wokrs with 2G option so can you please disable the traffic data for me. It was done before but for some I think when I let credit run out it was reset.

thanks inadvance

cyril.

View more options
Poster

Hello

Can you do this for me also as I have an alarm that needs the 2G. It was done before but I think I let the credit run out on the topup and it was reset.

thansk

Cyril.

View more options
Community Expert
Not possible I'm afraid.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Poster

Were you able to come up with a solution? I too am trying to fine 2G sim cards.

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up