Support:

Nokia

Search in Community:
Poster
AZorin

The Nokia N97

Hello,
I am very interested in getting the Nokia N97 (on bill pay) and I am wondering when will it be available on Vodafone Ireland.
I have checked in a Vodafone store and they told me that it will be available in August, but when I e-mailed Vodafone Customer care on this site they told me that they have no information on the N97 in the upcoming phones for 3 months. The N97 is going to be released on the 26 of June this year, only 3 days from now (when I was posting).
Does anyone know the RIGHT release date here?

Best Regards
AZorin
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Tony Reilly

Re:The Nokia N97

Hello,
I am very interested in getting the Nokia N97 (on bill pay) and I am wondering when will it be available on Vodafone Ireland.
I have checked in a Vodafone store and they told me that it will be available in August, but when I e-mailed Vodafone Customer care on this site they told me that they have no information on the N97 in the upcoming phones for 3 months. The N97 is going to be released on the 26 of June this year, only 3 days from now (when I was posting).
Does anyone know the RIGHT release date here?

Best Regards
AZorin

Oh... touchy subject round here... why not have a stroll round the rest of the forums and see what pops up! :)
Message 2 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
dunlin man

Digital Life
Vodafone Ireland releasing N97 Mini?
Does Vodafone know something we don’t? A forum posting by an official moderator told members that a pared-down Nokia N97 – the N97 Mini – was launching later this year.

Following a discussion by Vodafone forum members over what smartphones were on the cards for release this year, an official moderator known as EV said that Vodafone Ireland would not be getting the N97 (pictured), but instead is waiting for the mysterious N97 Mini.

“Vodafone Ireland will not be launching the N97 but will be launching the N97 Mini later this year. Due to the N97 Mini's competitive pricing, we feel that it will appeal to a wider segment of consumers,” he stated.

In the meantime, the post was removed by Vodafone with the statement: “Some information posted here yesterday has been removed. We are not in a position to discuss the N97 at this point. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will update you in due course.”

So, no confirmation but no denial of the N97 Mini. However, moderator EV also indicated that Vodafone Ireland would not be getting the Palm Pre in 2009 but that it would have the BlackBerry Storm 2 later this year. These comments were also removed.

By Marie Boran
Message 3 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Tony Reilly

Digital Life
Vodafone Ireland releasing N97 Mini?
Does Vodafone know something we don’t? A forum posting by an official moderator told members that a pared-down Nokia N97 – the N97 Mini – was launching later this year.

Following a discussion by Vodafone forum members over what smartphones were on the cards for release this year, an official moderator known as EV said that Vodafone Ireland would not be getting the N97 (pictured), but instead is waiting for the mysterious N97 Mini.

“Vodafone Ireland will not be launching the N97 but will be launching the N97 Mini later this year. Due to the N97 Mini's competitive pricing, we feel that it will appeal to a wider segment of consumers,” he stated.

In the meantime, the post was removed by Vodafone with the statement: “Some information posted here yesterday has been removed. We are not in a position to discuss the N97 at this point. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will update you in due course.”

So, no confirmation but no denial of the N97 Mini. However, moderator EV also indicated that Vodafone Ireland would not be getting the Palm Pre in 2009 but that it would have the BlackBerry Storm 2 later this year. These comments were also removed.

By Marie Boran

Exactly why it's a touchy subject round here!
That info hit most of the major online and a couple of print outlets last week (it was even in the times!)
Old news now mind you.
Message 4 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Lorconblue

Exactly why it's a touchy subject round here!
That info hit most of the major online and a couple of print outlets last week (it was even in the times!)
Old news now mind you.
Message 5 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Lorconblue

I can't understand why all the feeling that its a touchy subject or why Vodafone won't confirm or deny whether they will be offering the N97 handset.

It is available from Vodafone UK as a free handset on a £45.00 per month plan, presumably they are happy it will work on the Vodafone network.

Irish consumers are not slow when it comes to embracing the latest and greatest technology offerings, there is a demand!

Rather than frustrate their existing customers by remaining silent, why not simply give a release date or say officially that they will not stock the handset.

That way I know it will be safe to pay the 489 sterling and buy in a sim free model, in fairness I don't really want to do that only to find that they will offer the handset with a subsidised price in the region of say €399

I could take my upgrade, get a free phone and flog it to offset the cost of a sim free model from the UK but that is rather underhand and I don't see why Irish consumers can't be treated in an open and honest fashion and likewise not have to resort to such disingenious methods.

Come on Vodafone, get off the fence, either you will supply the N97 or you won't, what's to be?
Message 6 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
phonewhiz

I was told by a guy in the Vodafone shop in Dundrum that VF will not be stocking the N97 due the current economic conditions and they don't think that it would sell as it would be too expensive, but they would be supplying the N97 mini. I always keep up with new phones that are coming out and I had never heard of this. When I asked him what was the difference he didn't have any idea what the phone would be like, but he did say that it would be cheaper then the proper N97 and that is why they are going to stock that one.

He also blamed the sales of the N96 as another reason why they wouldn't be stocking the N97.

I bought my current N96 off ebay the week it was launched, VF didn't have for another couple of months after. Why is it that VF UK have new phones almost imediately but Ireland has to wait months for the same phone. I have ordered the N97 from Ebay and hopefully that should arrive in the post today.

The other mobile companies are stocking this phone and others that vodafone won't stock because they deem them too expensive. Why don't they let us choose what is too expensive or not. Vodafone obviously don't want our business and I can see a lot of people moving companies since they can't get the phone they want from VF.
Message 7 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
muckwarrior

He also blamed the sales of the N96 as another reason why they wouldn't be stocking the N97.

Apart from the delay, another reason it wouldn't have sold well was because it wasn't worth upgrading for. It was really just an N95 16GB.
Message 8 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
liverpoolfcfan

Apart from the delay, another reason it wouldn't have sold well was because it wasn't worth upgrading for. It was really just an N95 16GB.

We are talking about the N97 here - not the N96.

N97 has full slide-out QWERTY keyboard, bigger screen, and I'm pretty sure a newer version of the operating system. Very different phone.
Message 9 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
muckwarrior

We are talking about the N97 here - not the N96.

Eh yes, I know. I was pointing out why the N96 not selling well has no bearing on the N97.
Message 10 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
AZorin

VF Ireland really sucks
Message 11 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
AZorin

If Vodafone stopped branding their phones (which is what they do with every phone) and focused on actually having a GOOD customer service they will get much more money and more SATISFIED customers. Branding the phones also costs a lot and nobody really likes it so PLEASE Vodafone listen to me and you might just aswell be more successful.
Message 12 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Tony Reilly

If Vodafone stopped branding their phones (which is what they do with every phone) and focused on actually having a GOOD customer service they will get much more money and more SATISFIED customers. Branding the phones also costs a lot and nobody really likes it so PLEASE Vodafone listen to me and you might just aswell be more successful.

I'm not actually sure how to respond to that post...
I'm pretty sure that VF Ireland don't get handsets branded specifically for them, the phone would be Branded for Vodafone Global and would probably cost less since they buy for the WHOLE of the their networks (usually) and not just for VF Ireland.
In terms of sucessful, VF Ireland is the largest network in ireland and makes more money per head than any other VF network in Europe along with that Vodafone is the largest network in the world (including all its subsidiaries) .
I'm not defending VF ireland here cause lately they've dropped the ball BIG time. but not branding their handsets isn't really going to solve any problems!
Message 13 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Val from Vodafone

Hi AZorin
it is possible to buy most phones sim free & unbranded ,from certain retail outlets, but they are a lot more expensive.......

Val
Valerie

Vodafone View team.
Not a Vodafone customer yet? Talk to Vodafone on Boards.ie
Message 14 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
DeanMc

Another thing people may not be aware of is, like any other electronic product phones have to be bought in batches. Now if Vodafone bought in 100,00 units of this phone the need to sell all those units. The problem with phones though is operaters are selling them at a loss as it is so they have to be very careful about what they buy in.

I think that nokia may have released this handset at the wrong time as it is very expensive given the general market depression. I would imagine who ever made the desision on wether to stock this handset or not has figures to back up its viablity. Although having said all that this is all assumption for all we know the handset probably preformed poorly in tests or was not feesable againts other phones with similar features that we do not yet know about. There could be many reasons.
Message 15 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
foobar

To be honest, i think VF are right not to get the N97.Its reviews have been very mixed.
Message 16 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Digi
Topics: 42
Kudos: 394
Solutions: 40

I can't understand why all the feeling that its a touchy subject or why Vodafone won't confirm or deny whether they will be offering the N97 handset.

It is available from Vodafone UK as a free handset on a 45.00 per month plan, presumably they are happy it will work on the Vodafone network.

Yea i was just reading that earlier - Couldn't believe it - Free on 45.00 per month plan that includes unlimited texts, 600 minutes and unlimited calls to landlines. - Now that's value for money

*I am not a Vodafone employee and the opinions expressed in my posts are that of my own

Has your issue been resolved? If so please take the time to click the "Problem Solved" button (on the bottom left)
Want to say thanks? Click the thumbs up button
Message 17 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
foobar

That makes no sense - every phone out there has mixed reviews.

Let me be clearer. Unlike phones such as the palm pre , iphone , HTC magic a large % of N97 reviews have been negative. The keyboard is not good and the OS is not built with touch in mind and it really shows. So if VF Ireland can only pick one or two flagship phones i don't think the N97 should be one.
Message 18 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Digi
Topics: 42
Kudos: 394
Solutions: 40

So if VF Ireland can only pick one or two flagship phones i don't think the N97 should be one

Well im happy these desisions are not left up to you. By your above post you base your entire opinion of the device on a few reviews you have seen most likely from apple fan boys.

You want to see some real reviews?

See the N97 thread on Boards.ie for some quick reviews, the owners seen general very happy
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055532927

*I am not a Vodafone employee and the opinions expressed in my posts are that of my own

Has your issue been resolved? If so please take the time to click the "Problem Solved" button (on the bottom left)
Want to say thanks? Click the thumbs up button
Message 19 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Tony Reilly

Can we keep this thread on topic?
It's to find out when / if the N97 is coming to VF ireland and not whether someone thinks it's good or not!
Message 20 of 99 (73,105 Views)
Please use plain text.