Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

My Vodafone

Vodafone Email service

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi folks,

This thread is for discussion of the recent announcement regarding the closure of Vodafone Mail.

FAQs can be found here, but please do post if you have specific queries that are not covered.

The withdrawal of this service was carefully considered before we went ahead, and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks,

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
167 REPLIES
Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Regular

Yesterday I received a phone call from Vodafone informing me that the email service (<user>@vodafone.ie) is being terminated from 18th October this year - about 6 weeks notice, with no forwarding or automatic email reply notifyng a sender of the new address.

This is completely unacceptable. I have used this email address for over 10 years and would need at least a year to migrate to a new address. Vodafone should either extend the notice period to at least a year or else migrate the vodafone.ie domain (email only - MX record) to a commercial provider like Eurokom. Probably the email provider would levy a charge on each user that wanted to subsribe but I for one would be prepared to pay a reasonable fee.

Vodafone told me that webtext would be continued. However the contacts database it uses is part of the email system and will be destroyed. There will be a new contacts database for wextext but Vodafone will not transfer the email contacts database to it.

This is appalling service from Vodafone. No assistance is being provided. The technical support rep who phoned me told me to seek assistance from my new email provider if I needed help transferring my email. Of course that's not the new supplier's issue, its Vodafone's. I use a client model with my email held locally so I do not have a problem there.

Vodafone do not seem to be making any announcement about this on:

- this forum

- on login to the email service

- on facebook

- in the media

- on their home page

Are they ashamed of it? They should be.

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,
Further information will be added shortly, with both notifications and FAQs being posted.
We are proactively contacting users of the email service where possible to give as much notice as we can.

Thanks,

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Poster

Hi Daz,

because this is a change in the service that I have signed up for would the following apply.

Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) Regulations 2003 an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification.

Could you let me know as soon as you can.

Thank you.

View more options
Community Expert
Email was not part of your contracted plan. It was an additional benefit. It's like if they changed the price of out of allowance calls, you cannot get out of contract if this happened either.

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,
Cookie is correct here - email does not form part of the Ts and Cs of your contract, which have not been altered.

Thanks,

View more options
Regular

Well, there's a lot of defensive legalese here but no comment at all about the unfairness of Vodafone's actions in abruptly withdrawing a service many users will have relied on for a number of years. Furthermore whether it is a contract issue or not I regard the provision of this service as part of the deal I paid for; its certainly part of custom and practice. Where has loyalty to customers gone?

Why does Vodafone not consider different options:

- introduce a small charge to customers for the service

- farm out the email domain vodafone.ie to an email provider

- maintain at least a forward provision for each user, with no login or storage?

Here's an irony: The SMS alert for emails had a small bug for quite a while, whereby the from <user> was sent as from<user>, ie no space. This fault was so slight I never reported it but its just been fixed - for a service to be withdrawn!

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

An FAQ is coming to address anticipated questions - until that is available, we're not able to comment further, apologies.

Thanks,

View more options
Regular

Well. any comment now? Vodafone have dumped customers of over 10 years standing with a month's notice. No mention of transferring the service or downstream forwarding. Basically it is just get lost, you're not worth the trouble.

What is the moderator's reaction to this? What kind of Internet service does this amount to? I cannot even imagine how widespread my email address is. This is disgraceful.

View more options
Community Expert
While it's certainly inconvenient, a free service always has greater risks then something you pay for. Migrate now to another email system and set up an automated reply from your vodafone account stating that the vodafone email will stop working and you're switching to ...@....com

Start changing any accounts that you have used your vodafone email details as a login too.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,
As Cookie has advised, taking action now will allow you to mitigate most of the inconvenience of the switch.
Proactively emailing contacts to advise them of the new address, and setting up the reply mentioned above are certainly useful steps to take,

Thanks,

View more options
Regular

Daz, Cookie - I see your positions as moderators prevents you from making a meaningful contribution here.

The remark about the free service is particularly inappropriate with its underlying hint of "what can you expect" and claiming that "taking action now will allow you to mitigate most of the inconvenience of the switch" is a major exaggeration. In fact Vodafone email was not a simple free service. It was always dependent on being a subscribed, PAYING customer to Vodafone; if you changed mobile operator, you lost the email. Of course most Vodafone email users will switch to the "free" services like Gmail and Outlook; they are in fact the more reliable. Other commercial email suppliers such as O2 and Ireland.com have also dumped their users. Regarding mitigation, a month's notice is totally insufficient to handle 10 years build up of personal contacts, registrations and and associated emails.

At least I kept my email locally, not on the soon-to-be-gone Vodafone email server.

My objection to Vodafone's disgraceful abrupt withdrawal of this service centres around notice and the failure to farm the email domain out to another supplier. The company is making no effort to minimise disruption to its client base and showing no loyalty to its customers.

View more options
Community Expert

@Kilmolin wrote:

Daz, Cookie - I see your positions as moderators prevents you from making a meaningful contribution here.

The remark about the free service is particularly inappropriate with its underlying hint of "what can you expect" and claiming that "taking action now will allow you to mitigate most of the inconvenience of the switch" is a major exaggeration. In fact Vodafone email was not a simple free service. It was always dependent on being a subscribed, PAYING customer to Vodafone; if you changed mobile operator, you lost the email. Of course most Vodafone email users will switch to the "free" services like Gmail and Outlook; they are in fact the more reliable. Other commercial email suppliers such as O2 and Ireland.com have also dumped their users. Regarding mitigation, a month's notice is totally insufficient to handle 10 years build up of personal contacts, registrations and and associated emails.

At least I kept my email locally, not on the soon-to-be-gone Vodafone email server.

My objection to Vodafone's disgraceful abrupt withdrawal of this service centres around notice and the failure to farm the email domain out to another supplier. The company is making no effort to minimise disruption to its client base and showing no loyalty to its customers.

Daz is a moderator, I'm a contributor (despite your opinion).

It's not inappropriate, while you might not like the comment it is a valid one.I could be on vodafone payg phone with no credit and still have registered for the vodafone email account. Even if I never bought credit so you could get the email without paying (as you say). It's also closer to 6 weeks notice they have given.

@Farming the mail to someone else is expensive and messy as those customers will still have @vodafone.ie addresses which I suspect vodafone dont also wish to have floating around anymore. The email was also useless. It had a ridiculously low limit on storage and also limits on file size. 

Cookie
View more options
Regular

Correction accepted, you're a contributor, my mistake.

I regard the reference to a free service and what you might expect to get as inappropriate because the customers do form a paying subscribed base. Don't even pay-as-go users have to top up sometimes? The fact is that Vodafone make money from at least the vast majority of their email customers, even allowing for the extreme exception you pose. The really free email services who get no direct fees at all have proved more reliable.

I would not expect Vodafone to pay to transfer the service to an ISP. Those users interested in maintaining their email would pay a fee to the new provider so it would not need to charge Vodafone. Why is it messy to have Vodafone.ie address around, at least for a while? Its a lot messier for 20,000 users to change their email addresses.

There were limitations in the email service but it certainly was not useless - I would not have stayed with it for over 10 years otherwise. I keep my email on a client so storage limits were not a problem. The system has far better filters than either Gmail or Outlook and the free SMS notification of incoming email was vey useful. Support was uneven but its not good for Gmail or Outlook either.

Notice period is 39 days (10/9-17/10), bit over a month all right, over 5 weeks.

I would be looking for several months for this changeover.

On a lighter note:

The closure waning is displayed on the Vodafone Mail webpage.

Below that it says: Vodafone Mail is now even better!

View more options
Community Expert

@Kilmolin wrote:

Correction accepted, you're a contributor, my mistake.

I regard the reference to a free service and what you might expect to get as inappropriate because the customers do form a paying subscribed base. Don't even pay-as-go users have to top up sometimes? The fact is that Vodafone make money from at least the vast majority of their email customers, even allowing for the extreme exception you pose. The really free email services who get no direct fees at all have proved more reliable.

I would not expect Vodafone to pay to transfer the service to an ISP. Those users interested in maintaining their email would pay a fee to the new provider so it would not need to charge Vodafone. Why is it messy to have Vodafone.ie address around, at least for a while? Its a lot messier for 20,000 users to change their email addresses.

There were limitations in the email service but it certainly was not useless - I would not have stayed with it for over 10 years otherwise. I keep my email on a client so storage limits were not a problem. The system has far better filters than either Gmail or Outlook and the free SMS notification of incoming email was vey useful. Support was uneven but its not good for Gmail or Outlook either.

Notice period is 39 days (10/9-17/10), bit over a month all right, over 5 weeks.

I would be looking for several months for this changeover.

On a lighter note:

The closure waning is displayed on the Vodafone Mail webpage.

Below that it says: Vodafone Mail is now even better!

Gmail I would suggest has much better filters and their are free sms notifications available for both mail and calendar events. I'd disagree about support being better with vodafone then Gmail. Gmail uptime would be significantly superior to vodafone email's up time.

I mean I appreciate that it is a pain and it's certainly going to require work to port to another service but the fact is I dont think anything will change about this situation. I'm certainly not seeing an out cry online (here or elsewhere) about this. Not even a call to Joe! 

Cookie
View more options
Poster

While I am as annoyed as anyone at the short notice my main problem is that I can't get the information I need to get my emails out to another address. I have set up a special gmail account to take them but I need information from Vodafone in order to acess the emails and I cannot get it. They seem to have also done away with any possibility of speaking to a technical support person and with online chat. I sent an email asking for the info and they directed me to an online chat that does not exist!!

I could go on and on about the generally declining service but frankly I'll settle for getting my immediate problem solved. Gmail wants a POP3 server name to access the emails but I don'y know what that is or how to get it. Can anyone enlighten me?

View more options
Community Expert

Incoming server: pop.vodafone.ie 
Outgoing server: mail.vodafone.ie
Email address: yours
password: the same as you'd use to log onto the website.

Cookie
View more options
Poster
Thank you. I'll try that.
View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,
Those details should work for you - could you advise whether you were able to get set up?

Thanks,

View more options
Poster

Hello Daz,

Not exactly, in that it still would not work with the import mail option. I noticed though that Gmail also has an option to "Add a POP3 Account that you own" . I think this is what people refer to as the Mail Fetcher in Gmail altough that name doesn't seem to appear anywhere. So I decided to try that and to help it along I also went digging through my phone email settings to see how that is set up to show my vodafone emails. I found that it is set up as what is called an IMAP server with the ID imap.vodafone.ie and a port no. of 143. Using that info instead of the POP name I set it up. That did the trick and it imported about 750 emails in 15 minutes. Maybe it would have worked with the pop.vodafone.ie ID and that was one of the options available, but, since it worked on my phone I reasoned that it was more likely to work this way as well. 

I still haven't figured out an easy way to get my contacts over but I'm still working on it.

Thanks for your help in any event. It is worth noting that you responded with the information requested and it only took two lines. In total contrast Vodafone Customer Care sent me an email about two pages long asking for my account ID phone number and all sorts of ID confirmation information before they would consider providing this completely trivial and non confidential information. Clearly people like yourself are a much better source of information.

Regards.

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up