Support:

My Vodafone

Search in Community:
Poster

Arabic WedTexts

Hi There,

It seems that the webtext only accepts English Characters, can't there be other languages such as Arabic.

Thanks
Alseraidy
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 6 (9,364 Views)
Topics: 48
Kudos: 530
Solutions: 492

Re:Arabic WedTexts

Hi There,

It seems that the webtext only accepts English Characters, can't there be other languages such as Arabic.

Thanks
Alseraidy

Hi Alseraidy,
That's a good point, and a few other forum posters have asked the same question.
I'll pop this up to the guys who look after the webtext service to see what we can do.

Thanks!
Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 2 of 6 (9,364 Views)
Poster

Would it be possible to fix the characters on the English keyboard as well? Try using something like € { } ~ § | and you'll get strange results.

Your webserver needs to decode the message text from UTF8, and then convert the characters to the appropriate 7 bit code. You're already doing this for the the "_", "@" and the "$". So that list just needs to be extended a little bit.

With that change you would be able to use the following characters in a webtext:
@£$¥èéùìòÇØøÅåΔ_ΦΓΛΩΠΨΣΘΞ^{}\|€ÆæßÉ!“#¤%&‘()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?¡ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZÄÖÑܧ¿abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzäöñüà

If you want to allow arabic characters, you need to send the SMS in the unicode format. This is probably even easier than converting the text to the 7bit encoding, because you can just keep the character values as is. But you need to mark the text as unicode.
Message 3 of 6 (9,364 Views)
Poster

Thank you DataDaz and Marty For your replies.
Message 4 of 6 (9,364 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

|€ÆæßÉ!“#¤%&‘()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?¡ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZÄÖÑܧ¿abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzäöñüà

If you want to allow arabic characters, you need to send the SMS in the unicode format. This is probably even easier than converting the text to the 7bit encoding, because you can just keep the character values as is. But you need to mark the text as unicode.

Thanks for the info Marty.

We'll be sure to pass it on.
Vodafone View team.
Not a Vodafone customer yet? Talk to Vodafone on Boards.ie
Message 5 of 6 (9,364 Views)
Poster

Heya!

I know its been almost a year, any updates regarding the issue ?
Message 6 of 6 (9,364 Views)