Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Closure of Vodafone Community 21.06.19 At Vodafone we are constantly reviewing the methods customers can interact with us. Our social channels have evolved and as such we will no longer support the Vodafone Community as of 21.06.19 Our platforms to contact us are • Live Chat https://n.vodafone.ie/support.html by selecting your service type & clicking on the chat pop up • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vodafoneireland/ • Twitter: https://twitter.com/vodafoneireland We would like to thank everyone that has contributed over the years
Close announcement

Mobile Pay As You Go Plans

Holiday to Ireland - Sim and Prepaid Data Question

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster

Hello everyone. I’m planning a trip home to Ireland from the US in May. My questions below basically boils down to wanting to having an active data plan on arrival, or shortly thereafter, to Dublin airport. I haven’t had a data plan in Ireland so I want to make sure I understand these prepaid plans.

I ordered a SIM card (€30) and will have it sent to me in the USA. Question number 1 , I’m guessing that I have to be in Ireland when I insert my SIM card and activate my phone on Vodafone network , it can’t be done remotely in the USA?

Assuming it’s the former, I’m assuming I need to have some credit on My Vodafone app for the data plan (Extra). Question 2, I can’t complete the app registration until I have my actual phone number, but does the phone have to be active/registered before I can complete the app registration? My main confusion is how I handle this payment and when it becomes active?

If I wanted the EXTRA data plan I need to pay €30. I read you have to text extra to 50222 (or can I use the app?) and then you will be sent a link to a web page to pay the amount. However, if I don’t have a data plan how can I get to the payment webpage, is it free to that payment page?

Once payment is made does it become active immediately or do I need to wait for some confirmation text? If so, how long is the wait?

I know the above is long winded but I would appreciate any responses. Thanks in advance.

View more options
10 REPLIES 10
Community Expert
A sim card wont be sent to you by Vodafone to the USA. You must be resident in Ireland so you'll have to wait until you get here to get one.

Texting to activate plans is free to do. You text the number, wait for confirmation and then top up. Do not top up before you select a plan and have confirmation or it wont activate. It usually activates in seconds.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S10 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Community Expert
Also what make and model phone do you have?
You may not be able to connect to 4g+ networks depending on phone
View more options
Poster

Thanks for the responses. The phone is an Apple Xs max.

So when I text and get the confirmation back, will I have web access to that web page that I mentioned to give my credit card details so I can actually pay the €30 ?

View more options
Poster

One other question . I might be going to the UK for a few days. Will the Extra plan cover data usag In the  UK. If, not what about voice and texts? Any other packages options on the data side for the UK that I could purchase if the Extra plan won’t cover data in the UK?

Thanks again.

View more options
Community Expert
On the top up issue and website access. I'm not sure about that. You may be better off buying credit in a shop/pay station at the airport and topping up that way although may be the website will work, I dont know.

The extra plan will cover the UK but if brexit occurs during your visit I cant guarantee what would happen.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S10 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Highlighted
Poster

Thanks Cookie.

View more options
Community Manager

Hi there,

Apologies for the delay in responding to you, we experienced a high volume of queries.

In terms of Brexit, Vodafone Ireland has no plans to change existing roaming arrangements

- Aoife

View more options
Poster

I am in the same situation.  What I have found out is this:  vodafone won't post the SIM card to a non-Irish address, so you have to purchase it and then have it sent to a friend or relative who can then post it on to you.  Secondly, the SIM is already activated once you complete the online purchase.  You just need to add your top-up voucher information, which comes in the package with the SIM.  You can do this once you land in Ireland and have inserted the VODAFONE SIM card.  The top up voucher will be for 30 euro as that is what you paid online originally for the SIM purchase.  You can roam to the U.K. with the SIM.

View more options
Poster

I’m glad I had a quick look at this thread before I fly in a few days. Basically I got the sim as you mentioned and also got the voucher. So hopefully things will go smoothly when I get there. Thanks for all the responses. Now all I have to worry about is how to get the car sears into my rental :-)

View more options
Community Expert
Enjoy the holiday
Cookie
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up