Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Pay As You Go Plans

Being charged for tethering

SOLVED
View solved solution
Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Hi there,

If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, I can look into this for you?

Mobile number:

Address:

Date of birth:

Link to your thread or post:

Thanks,

Ashling

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Poster
Hi I got pay as you go sim today, selected smart extra plan then topped up 20e, got free credit and my balance was 10.5. I am using the sim for mobile wifi R206, I thought data usage should be deducted from my smart extra 5gb but my balance went to 0. It said I needed to buy add on extra to use more. I thought my 5gb applied to usage of mobile wifi and all setting was done automatically by inserting my SIM card.
I came across this forum and found it some people had similar issue. I changed apn to live.vodafone.com as they did, now I can use my 5gb alright but I was wondering if I could get refund my credit of 10.5 I lost?
View more options
Community Expert

Is there more than one APN present in network settings? Delete all except the live.vodafone.com APN

The T&C's state:

Tethering over the HS APN or any other use of the HS APN will incur OOB charges.

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/pay-as-you-go.html

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Poster
I followed user guide instruction to get started n I could have Internet access. But it was working outside of my plan but I didn't know that then my balance went to 0. I got Smart Extra plan before connecting Internet, I did the setup as user guide (which didn't mention about APN) said so I didn't think it was working out of bundles Smiley Sad
I was searching how to solve this by myself then found some comment n get sorted out.
I was wondering I could get refund my credit balance I lost in this case?
View more options
Community Expert

@Hayuwrote:
I followed user guide instruction to get started n I could have Internet access. But it was working outside of my plan but I didn't know that then my balance went to 0. I got Smart Extra plan before connecting Internet, I did the setup as user guide (which didn't mention about APN) said so I didn't think it was working out of bundles Smiley Sad
I was searching how to solve this by myself then found some comment n get sorted out.
I was wondering I could get refund my credit balance I lost in this case?

The Vodafone staff will be back online tomorrow from 9am and will be able to address your concern then.

Many thanks

Digi

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Poster
Thanks Digi
View more options
Poster
I followed user guide instruction to get started n I could have Internet access. But it was working outside of my plan but I didn't know that then my balance went to 0. I got Smart Extra plan before connecting Internet, I did the setup as user guide (which didn't mention about APN) said so I didn't think it was working out of bundles Smiley Sad I was searching how to solve this by myself then found some comment n get sorted out. I was wondering I could get refund my credit balance I lost in this case?
View more options

Hi there,

As a once off gesture of goodwill, I have now refunded your account with €10.46.

Thanks,

Ashling

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Poster
Thank you very much Ashling!
View more options
Deleted Account
Not applicable
This has happended to me too. Nice little trick you got there vodafone. By the way my phone is carrier free phone which i bought from Singapore. How did my handset knew what APN connect to? Surelly the carrier (vodafone) tells the handset that setting to use, right.

So are you forcing customers to usean APN for which are going to charge without specifying this it in the terms and conditions.

I will send and email to the comms reg in light of this.

View more options
Community Expert
APN is listed in T&C's which you agree to when you use the service:

14. The 5GB data allowance can be used to access the internet via the below APN’s only: BlackBerry.net & Live.vodafone.com

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/pay-as-you-go.html

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options

Thanks Cookie!

View more options
Poster

I've just been hit by this. After hours trying to figure out why tethering wouldn't work despite having 18Gb of data left in the bundle, and internet working on the phone itself, I noticed the 25+ eur credit I had a few days ago was now 0. So somehow internet access was being charged out of bundle. After some google searching, I encountered this thread.

My phone was bought unlocked so the only way hs.vodafone.com was intalled as an APN was by Vodafone installing it when joining the Vodafone network, and somehow directing tethering traffic through that APN. Basically all my credit was consumed by the phone using that APN (I'm also abroad at the moment).

Honestly - expecting users to delete unnecessary APNs (which were installed automatically by Vodafone) to avoid being charged out-of-bundle charges it's very wrong. No user will be aware of this pitfall, until the time they are hit by it like so many of us in this and other similar threads did. Heck, I'd bet 90% of users will have no idea what an APN is or where to find those settings. The majority of them won't know what's going on when they hit this issue, so they won't complain, but their credit will be drained nevertheless. 

Ashling, I'll PM you my details and I hope I do get those charges reverted asap. I also hope Vodafone reconsiders their approach to this APN issue because its effect is plainly abusive to customers, regardless of the technical reasons behind it or whatever the wording of the T&Cs. Not everything goes. Please bring it to the attention of management. 

Thanks.  

View more options

Hi there,

I have responded to your PM.

Thanks,

Ashling

View more options
Poster

Hi same thing has happened me , i had 10.50 in my account which has vanished after i tethered to my laptop, i had the live.vodafone.com selected ,hs.vodafone .ie is there as well but i cant delete it , not very fair ! , can this hs.vodafone.ie be deleted from my phone at your end ? think  i should be refunded  here .

View more options
Community Expert

@Deleted Account wrote:
This has happended to me too. Nice little trick you got there vodafone. By the way my phone is carrier free phone which i bought from Singapore. How did my handset knew what APN connect to? Surelly the carrier (vodafone) tells the handset that setting to use, right.

So are you forcing customers to usean APN for which are going to charge without specifying this it in the terms and conditions.

I will send and email to the comms reg in light of this.

Carrier settings are downloaded when you connect to the network for the first time....all of them.

It's up to you to then configure your phone based on how you intend to use it.

If your plan was for live.vodafone data, Then that's the APN you should have selected.

Carrier handsets are set this way by default - non carrier devices need to be configured by the user.

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert

@superbluedub wrote:

Hi same thing has happened me , i had 10.50 in my account which has vanished after i tethered to my laptop, i had the live.vodafone.com selected ,hs.vodafone .ie is there as well but i cant delete it , not very fair ! , can this hs.vodafone.ie be deleted from my phone at your end ? think  i should be refunded  here .

Vodafone cannot delete things from your handset - but it's possible they can put a block on that apn so your device will not be able to access it.

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Poster

Hi thanks for that info , i actually selected the live.vodafone vpn but i was still charged , i dont know why i cant delete the other apn, but if vodafone can block it , and this allows me to tether without getting charged that would be brilliant.

View more options
Poster

Hi

Reps is it possible to put a block on the hs.vodafone.ie apn on my phone ?

View more options

Hi there,

If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, I can look into this for you?

Mobile number:

Address:

Date of birth:

Link to your thread or post:

Thanks,

Liam

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up