Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Pay As You Go Plans

Being charged for tethering

SOLVED
View solved solution
Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster

So I'm on the data extra plan so I have data to use and my home WiFi wasn't working so I decided I'd us my phone and tether to my laptop to get internet. I did this and it worked fine but then I realised my credit went from around 9 euro to 0 then the tethering stopped working​. Then realised I was actually charged for the data used while tethering and it didn't take from the data I had.

Can anyone explain to me why this happened and why I was charged. I checked and I was on the Vodafone live apn

View more options
44 REPLIES
Community Expert
What is your APN set to under network settings on your phone?

Is there more than one APN option visible to you?
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Poster
It's set to the live.vodafone one. There's also hs.vodafone and mms.vodafone
View more options
Community Expert
The tethering could be switching to the hs one. Delete the hs apn and try tethering again. It should use the correct one and not charge you.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Poster
Thanks I'll try that
View more options
Poster
Thanks a million. That seems to have fixed the problem
View more options

Thanks Cookie Smiley Happy

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Poster

It's there any chance I'll get refunded for the credit the tethering used up when it shouldn't have

View more options

Hi there,

As a once off goodwill gesture, I have now applied a top up of €9.83 to your account, please be advised that in order for your mobile data to be taken from your monthly offer, you must be connected to the live.vodafone.com APN, if you are connected to any other APN, this could result in additional charges.

Thanks,

Ashling

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Deleted Account
Not applicable
Hi Ashling. I have a similar issue but my only two options are the mms and live apns. How do I set up an ive Apn?
View more options

Hi there,

My apologies, my previous message should have read live.vodafone.com not ive.vodafone.com. Once your handset is connected to the live APN, no additional charges will apply for mobile data usage.

Thanks,

Ashling

View more options
Poster
Sorry. What is live. Vodafone. Com for tethering? Do I have to logon to something different?
JOHN
View more options
Poster
Not sure what an APN is.
View more options

Hi there,

An APN is the channel your mobile phone uses to connect to mobile data (internet over the Vodafone network while you are unable to access Wi-Fi). Live.vodafone.com is the APN that your handset should be connected to in order for your data/ internet usage to be deducted from your monthly offer. If you are connected to a different APN, this could result in additional charges.

Thanks,

Ashling

View more options
Valued Poster

You can change your APN by going to your phone settings. Go here to find the guide for your mobile and it'll show you how to change it.

View more options
Poster

Sorry about above post but could not find a way to delete or edit it. Anyway as per this post, I am on a plan with 5GB of data but my phone(iPhone 5C) does not have any VPN set up. In Settings/General/VPN I just see "Not Connected". Now AFAIK I have no issues with being charged for data I have already paid for so should I set up this VPN or no.

View more options
Community Expert
You mean APN (VPN is for private internet connections)

The APN on your phone (usually located under network settings) should be:

live.vodafone.com

No userrname or password.
Cookie
View more options

Hi there,

Cookie is correct, in order for your data to be deducted from your monthly allowance of 5GB; you must be connected to the live.vodafone.com APN. If you are connected to any other APN, this could result in additional charges.

Thanks,

Ashling

View more options
Poster

Thanks for the clarification. However while there is an option for VPN on my phone there is no option for APN. Carrier is set to Vodafone and in the options for Mobile Data or Personal Hotspot there is no option for APN. It must be the type of PAYG plan I am on. I have asked other iPhone 5S users with Vodafone PAYG plans and they also have no APN option. Apple actually says, "If your carrier allows it, you can view the APN settings on your iOS device" so I suspect it is the plan I am on. No complaints as there are no extra charges for me when using Data.

View more options
Poster

Hi Guys, I am pay as you go customer, I just changed my mobile phone provider to Vodafone a week ago and I am having the same issues as a lot of people with being charged for hot spot so I followed the instructions in this post: 

1. I verified that I am connected to live.vodafone.com APN

2. I deleted the the other 2 APNs from my APN list leaving only the  live.vodafone.com APN

3. I turned on personal hotspot on my phone to test it, connected my laptop to it and played one song on youtube to generate some trafick and I got charged for the data!

Could you clarify what just happened? And also, could you restore my credit? 

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up