Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Pay As You Go Plans

Balance drained using tethering

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster

Last week I had to connect the laptop to mobile tethering. I had data on my phone plan and used just a few Mbs <150MB.

I was quite surprised when I checked the balance afterward and found it was 0. Nearly 30€ gone.

After a rather cumbersome chat with support, I managed to find that the cause of the disappearing balance was the hotspot connection. And that's company policy, charging 19€ per 100mb.

A quick search of this forum reveals that this is a common issue.

I double checked my phone settings just in case, and all is accordingly to the recommended settings.

The APN setting on my mobile was live.vodafone.com, I don't even have the hs one that people seem to have an issue with.

So which one is it? Is data used on tethering always charged at that 19€/100MB and not included in the data plan?
Making it in practice the hotspot feature unusable?

Because if this is the case, you should be clear on your plans, specifying that mobile data add-ons do not work with tethering.

View more options
12 REPLIES

Hi there,

If you're being charged for using the HS or ISP APN, it's definitely still active in the handset settings (if it wasn't there, it would either default back to Live, or not work at all).

When you use your phone to hotspot / tether this would be seen as a different connection type and would cause your APN to automatically switch from live.vodafone.com to the hs.vodafone.ie or the ISP.vodafone.ie access point.

Data usage over the Live APN will automatically be deducted from your monthly allowance - the data allowance included in our top up offers can only be used for connections over the Live APN. All other APNs are chargeable.

I can confirm that usage over the HS and ISP APN is charged at at 19c per MB.

Thanks,

Ashling

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Poster

It seems to me that I'm not the only case where this happened:

Looking at this forum, I'm far from an isolated case.
https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Mobile-Pay-As-You-Go-Plans/Being-charged-for-Tether/td-p/207113

And from your response was pretty much, "It's my fault. No refunds. Company policy"

Besides, blaming the customer for using settings that are loaded from the company SIM card or received automatically via the network seem quite deceiving.

I did not opt for this option, neither set it up.

So my question is, Is tethering always charged at those rates, ignoring the data plan?
Because I see no reference for extra charges for tethering in your website or T&C and I do have the right settings (as provided by the company)

and your website specifically says this:
"Sharing your device’s data connection through a personal hotspot or by tethering will use up your data allowance. Providing you don’t exceed your data allowance, there’ll be no additional cost."

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Using-our-network/Tethering-or-sharing-internet/38913859/How-much-doe...

But judging from the number of posts with this issue, and some other posts, it seems to indicate that it the case

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057848966/1

SO, which one is it?

View more options
Community Expert

You are quoting Vodafone UK which is not this company.

The correct section is below (depending on your PAYG plan):

The 1GB data allowance can be used to access the internet via the below Access Point Networks only: Wap.vodafone.ie & Live.vodafone.com. Tethering over the HS APN or any other use of the HS APN will incur OOB charges.

The 6GB data allowance can be used to access the internet via the below Access Point Networks only: Wap.vodafone.ie & Live.vodafone.com. Tethering over the HS APN or any other use of the HS APN will incur OOB charges.

The 20GB data allowance can be used to access the internet via the below Access Point Networks only: wap.vodafone.ie & live.vodafone.com. Tethering over the HS APN or any other use of the HS APN will incur OOB charges.

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/pay-as-you-go.html

OOB = out of bundle

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Poster

I repeat.

I do not have the HS APN.
I did not use it, didn't set it up, any possible redirect would have come from the company side.
And my question is, does Vodafone charges for tethering?

Because the uk site specifically says no. And the ie one in no way says yes.

View more options

As Vodafone UK and Vodafone Ireland are two separate companies - we operate out of different countries, with different cost bases and currencies, the terms and conditions that you are referring to here would not be applicable to Vodafone Ireland customers.

If you are opted into a top up offer, the included data allowance that you receive can only be accessed over the live.vodafone.com APN. If you are connected to the HS or ISP APN, this will result in additional charges.

Thanks,

Ashling

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Poster

So, what you are saying is that vodafone ie charges 19c/MB for tethering?
It just does so using deceitful T&C language and settings that are not in control of the consumer?

And please, it's the third time I am saying this, I do not have the HS APN. I am using the live one.

View more options
Community Expert
What phone are you using?
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Poster
How will that help you answer the question
"Does vodafone ie charges 19c/MB for tethering? Ignoring data allowance?"

It's a yes or no question.

That neither chat support or forum support was able to provide a clear answer.

I'm sure whatever device I mentioned you would say that it is incompatible or poorly configured by the manufacturer.
Which I already mentioned four times, I don't even have the HS access point. I did nothing particularly odd, just turned on the hotspot with the vodafone provided apn settings.

It's clear to me that support is just avoiding the question.
It's also clear that anyone that needs to use the hotspot functionality should avoid vodafone.
View more options
Community Expert

If the phone is not sold by vodafone and is running an OS (like android 8.1) this may explain things.

You can ignore what I and others have said but as it's your phone you need to either not tether to avoid incurring charges or tether knowing that your phone (through no fault of Vodafone's) is persistently using the wrong APN while tethering. Some devices running android 8.1 continue to use the HS APN (even if you delete it) when tethering and until Vodafone have devices that support 8.1 this will continue.

So what phone do you have and what OS is it running?

Cookie
View more options
Poster

I have not ignored you. You and the other Vodafone employees have actively ignored and refused to answer my question.

In every post and reply my question was never "Can you help me configure my phone"? Or "do I have the right settings?" I did my checks and verified this.

it was (again)

*this happened* so,

"Does vodafone ie charges 19c/MB for tethering? Ignoring data allowance?"

Because if the answer is yes, ok I was charged correctly. But it's a poor policy that it is not referenced anywhere on the vodafone plan and needs to be clarified.

If the answer is no, then I was wrongfully charged.

I wasted enough time with this, can you give me an answer to my question, yes or no?

Otherwise, I have no other option than to escalate this to a formal complaint.

View more options
Community Expert
You should read the T&C's
Cookie
View more options
Highlighted

Once again I would like to highlight that if you're being charged for using the HS or ISP APN, it's definitely still active in the handset settings (if it wasn't there, it would either default back to Live, or not work at all).

In relation to our data charges over the HS and ISP APN, we would recommend that you take a look at the below piece taken from our website.

Rates and charges - Data services (GPRS and the Internet)

The Mobile Internet pricing above is recommended for all customers and is the default charging on all pay as you go handsets we sell. This charging is through the Vodafone Live! connection point (APN) which adapts websites for mobile viewing.

However, some advanced users may wish to use our ISP connection point. This connection point does not adapt websites for the best mobile viewing. Users as phone as a modem, data telemetry devices or other non-Vodafone Internet devices with a pay as you go SIM card may prefer to use this connection point. Pricing is on a per-KB basis rather than on a per-minute basis. That means you'll be charged on the amount of information (data) you send and/or receive, not on how long your call lasts. All data sent through the ISP APN is charged at 19c per MB on pay as you go.

Thanks,

Ashling

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up