Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Network & Coverage

Vodafone 4G - Frequently asked questions

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Community Expert

Vodafone 4G is currently available to customers that meet the following criteria:

• Have a 4G ready handset
  • Have the relevant 4G carrier firmware update
  • Have a 4G ready Bill Pay Plan
  • Are within the 4G coverage area

If you have recently signed up for a 4G bill pay plan, have a 4G handset and are in the coverage area, then you are good to go and should already be enjoying the increased speeds offered through the 4G service.

If however, you signed up to a 4G bill pay plan prior to November 17th 2013, you will need to sent a text message to enable 4G on your handset. Simply text “4G” to 50221 and your account will be enabled within 48 hours. (48 hours offically but one user reported closer to 60 hours so it appears to not be an exact science)

Some 4G handsets may require an additional software to enable the “LTE” option in the handsets connection settings. These updates are automatic and free of charge. Should you see such a notification regarding a software update, simply accept the notification update and download the software.

Should you not have the "LTE" option available to you, check to ensure you have the most recent firmware installed.

Frequently asked questions (Updated February 06th 2014)

I have a blackberry Q10 and I haven't had a 4G signal yet. Any reason why?

Vodafone haven't approved the Q10 for 4G as of yet - A future firmware update may change this

I am a bill pay customer but I am not on any of the red plans, how can I avail of the 4G service?

You will need to move to the Red”, “Red Super”, "Red 30 Day" or "Red 12 month" Price plans to avail of 4G services

Is there any way I can stay on my current plan, and still get 4G?

If you are not on the “Red”, “Red Super”, "Red 30 Day" or "Red 12 month" price plans, then I’m afraid not, you must change your price plan first.

I am on the correct price plan, in a 4G coverage area and I have a 4G handset. Why do I not have 4G access?

Did you sign up for the price plan prior to November 17th 2013. If so, you will need to first send a text message enable 4G on your handset. Simply text “4G” to 50221 and your account will be enabled within 48 hours. Also, ensure your handset is configured for 4G by enabling “LTE” in network connection settings.

How can I tell I have the most updated firmware installed on my phone?

The easiest way to tell is to either check for updates on your device in the settings menu, or by connecting your device to a computer and running your manufactures software.

For example, on Android devices, go to settings/about device/software update

I have a Galaxy S4 - what firmware version should i be on to avail of 4G services?

Build JSS15J.i9505XXUEMK9 is the most recent firmware (at time of writing)

I have an Iphone 5 - Can i avail of 4G services?

At this time,  the iPhone 5 is not available to use on the 4G network with Vodafone. No date is currently available as to when 4G will be avaialble for Iphone 5 users.

I just changed my plan to a 4G ready one. Why don’t I have 4G access?

Although you have requested the change, Your new plan will not take effect until the end of your billing cycle. Once the new plan has kicked in, 4G will become available to you.

What areas are covered by the 4G service?

A coverage map is available here.

I recently changed my sim card and now i cannot access the 4G service

Changing sim cards results in the removal of the 4G service from you account. This will have to be reenabled on Vodafone's side before you can reconnect to the 4G service

I am a prepay mobile customer, how do I get 4G?

At this time, 4G is only available to Bill pay customers on the “Red” or “Red Super” Price plans. Vodafone has advised a prepay service will be introduced in 2014. No further information is available at this time.

I am a prepay mobile broadband customer, can I get 4G?

At this time, 4G is only available to mobile broadband Bill pay customers. Vodafone has advised a prepay service will be introduced in 2014. No further information is available at this time.

Will I need to pick up a 4G sim card?

No – a new sim card is not required

What kind of speeds can I expect on 4G?

Speeds will vary. I am personally getting on average 30Mb download and 14Mb Upload. User screenshots of speedtests can be found here

Will i need a 4G connection to take advantage of Vodafone's HD voice service?

No 4G is data only -  at this time Vodafone are running HD voice over the 3G network

Can i avail of 4G using a custom ROM or must i be on offical firmware?

I have managed to get 4G working on Cyonogenmod 10.2 on my Galaxy S4 so i dont see why not. A little bit of work may be required on your part though. See this thread for details on how i got it to work on the S4 and if any of it applies to you.

digi-expert.JPG 

9 REPLIES
Poster

Can you add two more Q&A's?

Q - How do I tell whether I have the right firmware?

A - try updating via the phone's settings menu, and also by plugging your phone into your computer.  

Reason - because my Samsung Galaxy S4 firmware wouldn't update via the settings menu, but there was an update available on Kies.  I applied the update, and magically the "LTE / WCDMA / GSM" option became available under Network Mode.

Q - what do I do if I do the above and it still doesn't work?

A - ???

Reason - I'd like the answer to this question!  Vodafone support are being very helpful - but although they say my phone is provisioned & I'm in a confirmed area of coverage, we still cannot work out why it's not picking up 4G...

View more options
Community Expert

Many thanks for adding to the FAQ Smiley Happy

I added the first one.

I can’t really add the second one just yet until we have an actual answer though or it would defeat the purpose of having an FAQ

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert

@petrospetros wrote:

Q - what do I do if I do the above and it still doesn't work?

A - ???

Reason - I'd like the answer to this question!  Vodafone support are being very helpful - but although they say my phone is provisioned & I'm in a confirmed area of coverage, we still cannot work out why it's not picking up 4G...

Glad to hear that it started working close to the 60 hour mark. I have updated the FAQ to state it may take longer than 48 hours.

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Contributor
Excellent Q&A. Vodafone customers should find it very helpful.
View more options
Community Expert

@jcdub wrote:
Excellent Q&A. Vodafone customers should find it very helpful.

Thanks mate

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Stickied, thanks Digi.

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Highlighted
Regular

Excellent and useful post!

View more options
Community Expert

@Daz wrote:

Stickied, thanks Digi.

Bump - request sticky - or re-sticky Smiley Happy

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Weird.... comes up as stickied when I check it...

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up