Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Network & Coverage

Supported 4G Phones

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster

I just have a querey relating to phones and 4G compatability. I am thinking about getting the RED 30 day plan for 40 which is showing as 4G ready. I aready have a device that supports 4G but it is not a vodafone phone. It is an unlocked phone. So my question is will this phone work on the vodafone 4G network. It does support all the LTE bands (800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600). I herd that some phones need a software update so i was just wondering will my phone work or is the 4G limited by the type of phone or phones that are purchased from vodafone? 

View more options
34 REPLIES
Community Expert

@FergusM wrote:

I just have a querey relating to phones and 4G compatability. I am thinking about getting the RED 30 day plan for 40 which is showing as 4G ready. I aready have a device that supports 4G but it is not a vodafone phone. It is an unlocked phone. So my question is will this phone work on the vodafone 4G network. It does support all the LTE bands (800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600). I herd that some phones need a software update so i was just wondering will my phone work or is the 4G limited by the type of phone or phones that are purchased from vodafone? 

What type of phone is it exactly?

It doesnt have to be a Vodafone bought phone, but it must be 4G ready device certified on their network.

If its a device they already offer themselves then yes, your device would just need a carrier file update (automatic) but there shouldnt be any problem actually connecting.

Are you on Vodafone Prepay at the moment and is that the sim you are using on the device?

When you go to settings/more networks/mobile networks/network mode  do you have an "LTE" option?

if so, it looks like you may already be set up and just need the plan itself.

Im going to add your question to the FAQ thread we just started for 4G if you dont mind!

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Poster

Thankjs for the reply Digi

The phone is a galaxy S4 with cyanogenmod custom rom Smiley Happy

I am curious though. You say certified device. Does this mean If I were to put my sim in a non certified device it would not work on vodafones 4G network even if that device were to support 4G. What I am saying is the 4G limited to a set list of 'certified' devices or is it going to work with any device that can use the correct LTE band and has a sim on a 4G plan.

Yes I have prepay at the moment and yes I do have an LTE option in the menu.

Feel free to add the question to FAQ

View more options
Community Expert

@FergusM wrote:

I am curious though. You say certified device. Does this mean If I were to put my sim in a non certified device it would not work on vodafones 4G network even if that device were to support 4G. What I am saying is the 4G limited to a set list of 'certified' devices or is it going to work with any device that can use the correct LTE band and has a sim on a 4G plan.

My understanding is that each device would need to be certified in order to receive 4G. The vast majority for sale in Ireland/UK most likely are, but there would be others that do not yet have the nesserary carrier settings configured for them at this point....although i may be wrong here (hopefully a mod can confirm either way).

The S4 is of course fine in theory....but as you are running a custom ROM is adds a new unknown element for me im afraid.

The software update for my S4 only became available to me after i flashed back to Vodafone's latest stock firmware. Prior to that i didnt even have the LTE option. So i wonder if you would actually receive the nesserary software update....or if you would even need it to begin with (as all it seems to have done is enabled the "LTE" option.

I may be in over my head here............ Smiley Happy

Ill see about installing CM later tonight and let you know for sure.

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Poster

@Digi wrote:

@FergusM wrote:

My understanding is that each device would need to be certified in order to receive 4G. The vast majority for sale in Ireland/UK most likely are, but there would be others that do not yet have the nesserary carrier settings configured for them at this point....although i may be wrong here (hopefully a mod can confirm either way).

The S4 is of course fine in theory....but as you are running a custom ROM is adds a new unknown element for me im afraid.

The software update for my S4 only became available to me after i flashed back to Vodafone's latest stock firmware. Prior to that i didnt even have the LTE option. So i wonder if you would actually receive the nesserary software update....or if you would even need it to begin with (as all it seems to have done is enabled the "LTE" option.

Ya it would be nice if a mod could clarify. I presume this 'software update' is just a carrier settings update for network settings like apn which the phone uses to connect to the internet. Am I correct? It is not an update like you would go into settings > about > update and update your phone to a new version fo android? I have seen a carrier settings update pop up on an iPhone 4 last week even though it is not a 4G device or on a 4G plan Smiley Happy

View more options
Community Expert

@FergusM wrote:

@Digi wrote:

@FergusM wrote:

Ya it would be nice if a mod could clarify. I presume this 'software update' is just a carrier settings update for network settings like apn which the phone uses to connect to the internet. Am I correct? It is not an update like you would go into settings > about > update and update your phone to a new version fo android? I have seen a carrier settings update pop up on an iPhone 4 last week even though it is not a 4G device or on a 4G plan Smiley Happy

Yea it would just be a carrier update.

I have read of people having a fair few issues connecting to 4G networks around the world on CM.....but there do seem to be work arounds in place......so i will start from scratch tonight and see how easy or difficult it turns out to be.

At least we will have a reference point to work off Smiley Happy

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert

EJ/Cookie - any thoughts on this?

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert

Ok - so i have CM 10.2 flashed on my S4 for a few hours now and LTE selected. I have yet to actual pick up the signal though.

Gonna go messa round with a few things and test out a few workarounds that people are posting for other networks and see if i cant get this working.

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Poster

@Digi wrote:

Ok - so i have CM 10.2 flashed on my S4 for a few hours now and LTE selected. I have yet to actual pick up the signal though.

Gonna go messa round with a few things and test out a few workarounds that people are posting for other networks and see if i cant get this working.

Thats a shame. I am not really interested in 4G if it does not work with custom ROM. I like my cyanogenmod too much Smiley Happy Please keep me updated on if you get it working. Also I noticed at least on my phone with CM (10.2.0) when you go into mobile networks under network mode it shows "GSM/WCDMA/LTE" but when you click on the option the one that is selected is called "TD-SCDMA/GSM/WCDMA/CDMA/EVDO" and there are over 20 different options. They dont always seem to match up and the options in there have changed since I updated the phone. Its strange but I dont have any issue because of it. Have you tried a few different ones in here?

View more options
Community Expert

@FergusM wrote:

@Digi wrote:

Also I noticed at least on my phone with CM (10.2.0) when you go into mobile networks under network mode it shows "GSM/WCDMA/LTE" but when you click on the option the one that is selected is called "TD-SCDMA/GSM/WCDMA/CDMA/EVDO" and there are over 20 different options. They dont always seem to match up and the options in there have changed since I updated the phone. Its strange but I dont have any issue because of it. Have you tried a few different ones in here?

Yea i have been playing around with them but regardless of which one i set, a few minutes later it goes back to "TD-SCDMA/GSM/LTE" regardless of what i do lol

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Valued Poster

Any information on the Build number of this CM Rom?

The day of idiots is upon us!!!!
View more options
Community Expert

@EvilJebus wrote:

Any information on the Build number of this CM Rom?

The one i flashed was jfltexx 4.3.1

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Valued Poster
Just having a read there on XDA seems there is an issue getting 4g on this.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43646819&postcount=102
The day of idiots is upon us!!!!
View more options
Community Expert

@EvilJebus wrote:

Indeed - and the workarounds I have come across don’t really apply to the I9505 variant.

I'm going to try out some of the nightlys a little later after the pub (or maybe tomorrow morning to be safe Smiley Happy ) from both 4.3 and 4.4 to see if any progress was made in regards to 4G workarounds.

I had a quick look over on the Voda UK forums as well and was surprised nothing like this has come up over there yet lol

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Poster

@Digi wrote:

@EvilJebus wrote:

Indeed - and the workarounds I have come across don’t really apply to the I9505 variant.

I'm going to try out some of the nightlys a little later after the pub (or maybe tomorrow morning to be safe Smiley Happy ) from both 4.3 and 4.4 to see if any progress was made in regards to 4G workarounds.

I had a quick look over on the Voda UK forums as well and was surprised nothing like this has come up over there yet lol

Any luck getting 4G to work on CM? I decided to give the RED 30 Day plan a try. My number was scheduled to port today but It looks like it didnt happen yet so hopfully tomrrow. Would you be able to let me know of these workarounds you talked about so I can try if i have issues?

Also do have to set a specify APN or is it the normal live.vodafone.com one?

View more options
Highlighted
Community Expert

@FergusM wrote:

@Digi wrote:

@EvilJebus wrote:

Any luck getting 4G to work on CM? I decided to give the RED 30 Day plan a try. My number was scheduled to port today but It looks like it didnt happen yet so hopfully tomrrow. Would you be able to let me know of these workarounds you talked about so I can try if i have issues?

Also do have to set a specify APN or is it the normal live.vodafone.com one?

It works off the normal APN....and im happy to report i got it working Smiley Happy (It will say LTE rather than 4G on CM, but who cares Smiley Happy )

Screenshot_2013-12-17-12-57-20.jpg

After messing about with both ROMs using Root Browser and help from people on XDA having the same problem with US networks using the Note 3, i learned that the network update received is pretty much just one text file that is stored in data/property - The file name is persist.radio.lteon so it was clear from the file name that it instructs the radio to activate 4G.

This file was not present on the CM mod so i pasted it in there, and after a restart i was able to pick up LTE. The radio in CM seems a little weaker as the signal at home seems to have dropped a bit but its still perfectly fine in the city and i have Wifi at home anyway.

If needed i can provide the file for those who need it - **bleep**, even if you are using a device other than the GS4 i9505 you can still test it out for me and see how that goes - Cant guarantee it will work though. I can only confirm at this time that it works on cyanogenmod firmware with an S4.

FAQ updated

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Poster

Epic. If you can send me the file I will try it out streight away. I spent all last night trying to enable LTE/4G option even on the stock ROM and I couldnt get it to work. My stock ROM was 4.2.2 though and the update was failing on me. I havnt given up but If i could simply put a text file to enbble 4G on CM that would be fantastic. 

Regarding your signal level perhaps the signal bars are not displaying the same on both CM and stock rom. You could use an app like "advanced signal status" to show you the actual RSSI value if you really want Smiley Happy

View more options
Community Expert

@FergusM wrote:

Regarding your signal level perhaps the signal bars are not displaying the same on both CM and stock rom. You could use an app like "advanced signal status" to show you the actual RSSI value if you really want Smiley Happy

Could certainly be the case - ill get that file hosted there in a sec and PM you a link

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert

Any luck?

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Poster

Yes got it working with the file you sent and after performing the other steps for switching the network modes. Thank you very much Smiley Happy

Here is the best result I got so far for anyone interested.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/678712799

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up