Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Closure of Vodafone Community 21.06.19 At Vodafone we are constantly reviewing the methods customers can interact with us. Our social channels have evolved and as such we will no longer support the Vodafone Community as of 21.06.19 Our platforms to contact us are • Live Chat https://n.vodafone.ie/support.html by selecting your service type & clicking on the chat pop up • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vodafoneireland/ • Twitter: https://twitter.com/vodafoneireland We would like to thank everyone that has contributed over the years
Close announcement

Mobile Network & Coverage

PayG prepaid simcard used in third party Huawei router

Highlighted
Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster
Hi,
So im using a prepaid Vodafone simcard
Mostly to create a hotspot from my iPhone so I can use internet on various devices
Thing is where I live u can only get 2-3bars of 3G with u ...situation changes when I put my simcard to my wireless HUAWEI router.
Then I can get up to 3bars of 4G in the same location !

Problem is that as soon as I put my simcard to router it acting strange?!
Instead of using my data allowance dat I bought (8gb for 30topup) it jus ate all my credit?!?!?!
And when it hit zero balance I can’t connevt to internet no more despite still having active 8gb data allowance?

I think my router’s APN setting are all intact?
USERNAME:Vodafone
PASS:Vodafone
APN:Hs.Vodafone.ie

I want to know how I can make my simcard to use my data allowance instead of credit while using my router?
Since I paid for it and having in mind dat is capped at 8gb I don’t think it’s some kind of payg sim restriction is it?
As dat wud simply make no sense since I wudnt b able to use more than this small 8gb anyways?

If anyone knows how to solve my problem pls let me know
Thanks.
View more options
3 REPLIES 3
Community Expert

There are different types of sim cards for different uses.

The mobile sim card you have uses data off the Vodafone Live APN - which is covered on Vodafone Billpay and Prepay plans.

Routers however do not tend to go through the Vodafone Live APN, and therefore you would be charged for the usage as out of bundle usage.

What you need here is to pick up a data sim from Vodafone. These are the sim cards that are used with their mobile wifi devices and are priced on the correct APN for their use.

It is not possible to use a SIM configured for a phone in a device that is not a phone without incurring these charges.

The same also applies in reverse. 

Hope that helps

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Poster
Thanks for prompt reply.
But
I jus make it to work using same very card.

If anyone having same issue as me here’s what I did.
-Connect to Huawei router thru browser
(192.168.8.1 by default)
-Go to connection management.

-Go to Profiles

-Add New profile
ProfileName:can b anythin u want..
User:vodafone
Pass:vodafone
APN:live.vodafone.com

-set newly created profile as active and default

Here you go...
your prepaid Vodafone PAYG Simcard will now use ur data allowance instead of your account’s credit for the internet..in your third party wireless router.

Not sure why Vodafone prepaid simcards have different profile preset for bb devices like routers...they using Hs.Vodafone.ie APN by default..while on your mobile Preset APN is live.vodafone.com
Having in mind dat normal Vodafone prepaid cards can’t get data allowance from any APN other than live.vodafone.com is like they wanted you to use up all ur credits in minutes..As router will work as normal with their default HS APN as long as your account balance hits zero..which won’t b long in 4G conditions..And it’s then when most people will discover they jus been robbed outta their credit while they been thinkin they re using their data allowance...

I feel Vodafone shud inform about those things better ...

View more options

Hi there, 

Our apologies for the delay in responding to your query. We wish to advise you that if you are using a Prepay Sim in a Mobile Broadband device this will automatically connect to the HS APN. This will then use your credit instead of your plans allowance, as usage is not included in any of our Mobile phone top up offers. We also wish to advise you that if there is usage on the Hs APN this any charges associated to the usage would be valid.

However, if you purchase a Mobile Broadband add on instead of a Pay as you go plan this will provide you with a data allowance that can be used through the Hs APN and you will incur no extra charges. 

~Ailís

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up