Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Network & Coverage

NAC

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster

Hi, a few months ago I requested the NAC Code for my Galaxy S7 Edge.

Now, when my sister tried a few days ago she forgot about the Code and entered it wrong 3 times, so the phone is now asking for the PUK. The PUK however isn't accepted by the phone either. They have tried it with different SIM Cards as well (and the phone right away asks for the puk) but it doesn't accept any of the SIM card's puk numbers. What can we do about that? Is there a possibility to reset it by requesting a new NAC Code maybe?

Steps

View more options
10 REPLIES
Community Expert

Mods - I'm not sure when PUK codes became a thing with NAC's so this has thrown me a bit (I know Steps in real life and asked her to post here)

I had thought PUK codes were tied to the SIM card only. 

Steps has tried both PUK codes tied to her sin without success so I'm wondering if perhaps NAC PUKs are somewhat different to win PUKs?

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert
PUK's are completely linked to the sim card.

Did you try a different sim in the phone? Did you put a sim card lock on the phone?
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Poster
We have tried several Sim Cards now but as soon as the SIM card is in it asks for the puk, no longer for the NAC code.
In the email that I received with the NAC Code it says "If the incorrect Vodafone Network Assignment Code is entered more than 3 times, the phone becomes blocked and the PUK is required to re-activate it." But as I said, it won't accept either of the puk numbers that we entered.
View more options
Community Expert

You'd need to find the original sim card that was in it before the sim was locked. Typically if you enter the NAC code wrong too many times it locks the phone completely and requires a manufacturer to unlock it.

If it's asking for the PUK then the sim card unlock code was put in wrong too often. The PUK request has nothing to do with the NAC code. I suspect your sister entered the wrong sim code in too many times and now it requires the PUK code. Maybe if you PM a mod the sim number of the card that was in the phone when the error occured they may be able to get you the PUK code.

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in our reply.

If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, I can look into this for you?

Mobile number:

Address:

Date of birth:

Link to your thread or post:

Thanks,

Liam

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Community Expert

@cookie20 wrote:
PUK's are completely linked to the sim card.

Did you try a different sim in the phone? Did you put a sim card lock on the phone?

See i had thought that as well - but the NAC instructions that i received 

Note: Please insert Non Vodafone Ireland SIM card in your mobile when you unlock it

If the incorrect Vodafone Network Assignment Code is entered more than 3 times, the phone becomes blocked and the PUK is required to re-activate it.

1.         Ensure the phone contains a Non Vodafone SIM card.

2.         Power on the phone.

3.         A pop up message asking to input the NAC will appear.

4.         Input the NAC.

So if i have a non Vodafone sim in the phone, and the incorrect NAC is entered (which seems to be the case here), the NAC is then required to unblock it - one would think the NAC code should not be aware of my NAC as there is a completly different non Vodafone Sim in the device. Here is where the logic was breaking down for me.

If the PUK needed was the PUK of the non vodafone sim inserted, then this wouldnt exactly act as a secure method to unblock as the person that entered the NAC wrong should have their own PUK anyway.

If it is the original SIm cards PUK, then is the NAC now tied to the active Sims PUK when it is generated?

I just find it odd that the PUK is being asked for with an unlock.

The Sim card itself being used to unlock is not blocked, it works in other phones by just entering the Pin - so the issue is elsewhere.

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert

@Liam wrote:

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in our reply.

If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, I can look into this for you?

Mobile number:

Address:

Date of birth:

Link to your thread or post:

Thanks,

Liam

Ill have her reach out to you in a few

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert
The NAC should not be aware of the PUK code at all. Did yee try the PUK code for the non Vodafone sim? I would have thought the PUK for the non sim would just allow you to re-enter the NAC code. In 21 years of mobile unlocking I've never seen what you're describing. I've entered an incorrect NAC too many times and then needed a manufacturer to reset it but never seen a request for a PUK code.
Cookie
View more options
Community Expert

@cookie20 wrote:
The NAC should not be aware of the PUK code at all. Did yee try the PUK code for the non Vodafone sim? I would have thought the PUK for the non sim would just allow you to re-enter the NAC code. In 21 years of mobile unlocking I've never seen what you're describing. I've entered an incorrect NAC too many times and then needed a manufacturer to reset it but never seen a request for a PUK code.

I know it's crazy right?

But the unlock email we received does state that if the NAC is entered incorrectly multiple times and locks, to ensure a non Vodafone Sim is entered and enter the PUK.

Which just makes no sense to me.

Yes, tri ed PUK 1 & 2 of both the original SIM and the current non Vodafone Sim currently inserted without success

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert
It may need to go back to the manufacturer.
Cookie
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up