Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Responses may be delayed through this channel. To ensure the fastest response to your query, please click here and select your service type, to speak with our live chat team.
Close announcement

Mobile Network & Coverage

5G phones on the 4G network

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Regular

Coming to upgrade time in a month or two.

If I purchase a 5G phone will it work on the existing 4G network with 4G speeds?

Also when will 5G be available in Cork, I know it is on trial in Dublin Docklands?

View more options
6 REPLIES 6
Community Expert

Yes it will work on a 4G network (just like 4G phones work on 3G and 2G networks now) but just ensure the phone you're buying supports LTE etc... Currently no network in Ireland sells a 5G compatible phone. The first consumer 5G device will be the Samsung S10 5G and that has no officialy launch date in Ireland.

No network will leak when they are launching 5G before officially launching it so they wont tell you anything other then it's coming.

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S10 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Regular

Thanks as always.

If a 5G phone will work on the existing 4g network then there is no reason not to get one.

I can wait for the network rollout.

I understand this is more a contract question and not networks and services but seeing as you were kind enough to reply , given upgrade anytime is gone, in reality it is now 2 years to 2 years and the value of red super extra in terms of upgrade cost is diminished as there is no way to upgrade unless paying full cost - is there no way to start the upgrade process early anymore?

View more options
Highlighted
Community Expert
The earliest you can currently up grade is in month 23 of your contract I'm afraid. Failing that you'd need to fork out for a sim free phone/PAYG phone at full cost.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S10 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Regular

Thanks a million as always that means July then..............appreciate the swift response.

View more options

Thanks Cookie Smiley Happy

@Corcaigh41 - if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us here.

Thanks,

Ashling

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Regular

Will do and thanks again

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up