Support:

Mobile Broadband

Search in Community:
Poster
ommo

Virus reported on the new VMC

I'm not sure about the problem - is it just me or any other people found the same?
recently I updated my VMC software tothe lastest version (Vodafone Mobile Broadband software - v10.0.201). after that I runned my virus scanning softwares as usual. the Avira antivir personal DIDN'T show anything wrong. but another virus software called Rising - Antivirus reported FOUR related virus! all came from the VMC.

nwusbmdm.sys is the file name, address -

C:\Program Files\Vodafone\Vodafone Mobile Broadband\Driver\Novatel\MC950D\nwusbmdm.sys
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nwusbmdm.inf_fe38e0ac\nwusbmdm.sys
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nwusbser.inf_36a529f6\nwusbmdm.sys
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nwusbsr2.inf_d4d54709\nwusbmdm.sys

Virus name: Trojan.Win32.Generic.123049F8
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 6 (5,949 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
ommo

Re:Virus reported on the new VMC

when I was using the old version VMC software, same laptop, nothing changed, the rising antivirus scanned nothing wrong.
I dont know much about the virus, it could be the virus came from somewhere else too I know. but the question is why only the new version being reported.
Message 2 of 6 (5,949 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
renok

I'm not sure about the problem - is it just me or any other people found the same?
recently I updated my VMC software tothe lastest version (Vodafone Mobile Broadband software - v10.0.201). after that I runned my virus scanning softwares as usual. the Avira antivir personal DIDN'T show anything wrong. but another virus software called Rising - Antivirus reported FOUR related virus! all came from the VMC.

nwusbmdm.sys is the file name, address -

C:smileytongue:rogram FilesVodafoneVodafone Mobile BroadbandDriverNovatelMC950Dnwusbmdm.sys
C:WindowsSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositorynwusbmdm.inf_fe38e0acnwusbmdm.sys
C:WindowsSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositorynwusbser.inf_36a529f6nwusbmdm.sys
C:WindowsSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositorynwusbsr2.inf_d4d54709nwusbmdm.sys

Virus name: Trojan.Win32.Generic.123049F8

Look like false reading from Rising Anti-Virus. Its advisable not to runs 2 Anti-Virus software's on your computer. Avira Anitvir is very good Anti-Virus software, I have it myself, the premium version. To get confirmations from Avira anitvirus thats is false reading, set your heuristic scanning detection mode to High as it is by defaults in normal detection mode. Go to configuration+Expert Mode+Scanner+Scan+Heuristic+Change it from Normal to High click Save, then re-scan, you should also save setting to scans rootkits.
Message 3 of 6 (5,949 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz
Topics: 8
Kudos: 329
Solutions: 208

when I was using the old version VMC software, same laptop, nothing changed, the rising antivirus scanned nothing wrong.
I dont know much about the virus, it could be the virus came from somewhere else too I know. but the question is why only the new version being reported.

Hiya,
These don't appear to be viruses.
It looks like you may have what's called a "false positive", where a safe program is identified as a virus.
These files are the Novatel wireless USB modem drivers, and after a bit of Googling, appear to be completely safe.

That doesn't rule out the possibility that these are threats, but by all indications, they're not.

Thanks!
Learn all about our new forum, right here .
If I've requested details via a private message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link may not be answered.
Message 4 of 6 (5,949 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
ommo

thanks all for the quick replies, have a good weekend lads.
Message 5 of 6 (5,949 Views)
Please use plain text.
Moderator (Retired)
PMac

thanks all for the quick replies, have a good weekend lads.

You too ommo :)
Retired moderator - please do not PM details to me, as I will not be able to respond.
Message 6 of 6 (5,949 Views)
Please use plain text.