Support:

Mobile Broadband

Search in Community:
Poster
mobro

Settings for Vodafone Mobile Broadband on a Wireless Router

I've been using my Huawei K3520 on an Edimax 6200n Wireless 3g router for the past number of weeks but just recently it has stopped working for me.
The router seems to be no longer able to connect the Modem to the network itself. Has there been any changes to the connection settings for these modems?
I can input the following info to my wireless router:

PIN Code
APN
User Name
Password
Service (3G/3.5G only or CDMA)
AT Dial Script

So far I have only been putting in the PIN code and it has worked. Do I need to fill out the other fields?
The modem works fine when working in the conventional manner using the Vodafone connection manager.

Thanks.
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Geraldo

Re:Settings for Vodafone Mobile Broadband on a Wireless Router

Hi Mobro, I just got an Edimax 3G -6200n Broadband Router and can't get it to work. My Vodafone Huawei E172 gets a blue flashing light but it seems that it can not connect. I will be interested to see if any help is fortcoming.
Message 2 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Moderator (Retired)
PMac

or CDMA)
AT Dial Script

So far I have only been putting in the PIN code and it has worked. Do I need to fill out the other fields?
The modem works fine when working in the conventional manner using the Vodafone connection manager.

Thanks.

Hi mbro

I'm not familiar with the Edimax 6200n Wireless 3g router but I've included as much as I can.

APN: hs.vodafone.ie
Unsername: vodafone
Password: vodafone
Service: maybe try HSPDA
AT Dial Script: I'm unsure what is required here.

Can anyone else help mbro here?
Retired moderator - please do not PM details to me, as I will not be able to respond.
Message 3 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Geraldo

Update from my previous posting.

Vodafone Modem = Huawei E172 Stick on Win XP Pro.

Modem worked perfectly on computer through USB port. Having tried numerous times to get the Modem working through the Router and having read through the very good Vodafone Support Site and Forum also the Edimax Support Site, I decided to try the Nuclear Route. This is how I got it to work:

1. Insert power cable into Router and follow Instructions on Page 7 to 11 ( 2 Network Setup) of Quick Install Guide (Ethernet cable from any Lan port on Router to Ethernet Socket on PC) without inserting the modem.

2. Insert supplied Edimax Disk in CD drive – Cancel/Stop Auto Play.

3. Start – Control Panel – Add/Remove Programs – Removed Vodafone/ Huawei

4. Start – Control Panel – Phone & Modem Options – Modems Tab – Delete all Connections not in use especially any that look like Vodafone/ Huawei

5. Right Click Start – Explore – Computer – Local Disk C: - Program Files - Delete Huawei (Vodafone) folder, starting with the sub-folders

6. All history of Huawei or Vodafone should now be gone from your PC.

7. Insert Modem into USB socket on Router

8. Right Click Start – Explore – Computer – Look for 3G Wizard on right hand side and double click to start Edimax Wizard - follow instructions (with patience) including putting in just the Pin Code.

9. Eureka it worked.

Having used Wireless Routers from telcos previously the range on the Edimax is exceptional. No need for a booster in standard bungalow. One problem…. my son’s Ipod Touch (sh..) would not log in. Played around with it for a few hours and got it going. Unfortunately, I don’t remember what I did. His PS3 logged on immediately.

Hope this works for you.
Geraldo
Message 4 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
mobro

Thanks for that Geraldo and Paul.

I actually got it working again on Sunday, kind of in a similar manner to yours Geraldo though I did not uninstall previous installations, or the Vodafone Connection Manager - that is still on my computer.

Instead I updated the firmware of the router (not sure if this had any effect on the overall solution though), and used the wizard on the CD that came with it to set it up from scratch. Once Vodafone was selected on the wizard, the APN (hs.vodafone.com), as specified by Paul earlier was automatically put in. I had tried doing this manually earlier but to no avail. I feel I might have missed some other setting that the wizard set-up but I don't know what it was.

I too am very pleased with the router and a little surprised that there is no such routers available widely in Ireland. I got mine off Amazon. I share the wireless connection with one other person and it is still as fast, if not faster than many of the other broadbands available. It also allows me to position the dongle up high where I can get full 3G coverage.

Thumbs up to Vodafone for the forum also!

Mobro
Message 5 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
John from Vodafone

Hi Mobro and Geraldo

Thanks for the information

I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

I appreciate you sharing it with us.
Vodafone View team.
Not a Vodafone customer yet? Talk to Vodafone on Boards.ie
Message 6 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Glengarriff

Hi, I've just got my new Edimax 6200n from Amazon and got it set up using the information given by the previous posters above. Thanks for the help.
For any others seeking this info, I'll summarize what I entered in the 3G settings page:

PIN Code: the default is the last four digits of your customer number
User Name: vodafone
Verify password: vodafone
Service: 3G/3.5G Only (UTMS/HSPA/HSDPA)
AT Dial Script: *9***1#

I didn't delete the previous Vodafone/Huwai programs as I will want them when I'm on the move and not using the router. This hasn't had any effect on my router connectivity (so far...)

On the computer side, I simply set up my network connections (both wired and wireless, in my case) to use DHCP. The settings under Network Connections/Connection/Properties/Internet Protocol are "Obtain an IP Address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS Server automatically". Leave the Default Gateway settings (found under "Advanced") alone. See pages 9-11 of the Quick Start booklet that came with the router.

A few things which were annoying were:

Under General Setup/WAN, the list of options in the grey area of the screen doesn't include the 3G/3.5G option. Its at the top of the menu at the left, directly under the word WAN.

When setting up the MAC filtering on the Router's Wireless/Access Control page, the MAC addresses must be entered without the ":" separators - there's only enough space to enter 12 digits. I was copy and pasting away and wondering why it didn't work, until it dawned on me what was wrong.

If using the Wizard supplied on the CD, when you get to the page about connecting the computer and USB stick to the Router, the check-box before the ""Yes, I have connected the cable correctly" isn't very obvious. If, like me, you don't check this box before clicking on the Next button, an alert box pops up, asking you to finish the connection - leading to more useless searching for a mistake in the hardware setup. Maybe this will save someone else some grief.

BTW, I set up the router manually - worth trying, you can always reset it if you mess up. I left everything at default, except for:

The time server IP, as the router logs showed a connection failure to the default server and the dates in the logs stayed at 1st January 1970. Unfortunately, the one other time server I've tried so far didn't work either. BTW, the time server can only be input as an IP address, not as an address name, so you need a time server which publishes it's IP address.

I changed the SSID (General Settings/Wireless/Basic Settings) to something more recognisable.

I set Encryption (General Settings/Wireless/Security Settings) to WPA pre-shared key, and left the Unicast Cipher Suite at WPA(TKIP), because I don't know enough about these settings.

Under General Settings/Wireless/Access Control, I checked the "Enable Access Control" check-box, and added the MAC addresses of my computers. Use the comment box for identifying the various network cards, in case you want to delete them later. Unfortunately, there's no option for editing existing addresses, so the only editing option is to delete and re-enter them.

Finally, I changed the admin password, often forgotten but worthwhile.

Hope this info might help someone.

PS, try out WirelessMon from Passmark Software (www.passmark.com) - cute signal graph and lots of information on wireless access points.
Message 7 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Reganovski

Hi, I've just got my new Edimax 6200n from Amazon and got it set up using the information given by the previous posters above. Thanks for the help.
For any others seeking this info, I'll summarize what I entered in the 3G settings page:

I didn't delete the previous Vodafone/Huwai programs as I will want them when I'm on the move and not using the router. This hasn't had any effect on my router connectivity (so far...)

On the computer side, I simply set up my network connections (both wired and wireless, in my case) to use DHCP. The settings under Network Connections/Connection/Properties/Internet Protocol are "Obtain an IP Address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS Server automatically". Leave the Default Gateway settings (found under "Advanced") alone. See pages 9-11 of the Quick Start booklet that came with the router.

A few things which were annoying were:

Under General Setup/WAN, the list of options in the grey area of the screen doesn't include the 3G/3.5G option. Its at the top of the menu at the left, directly under the word WAN.

When setting up the MAC filtering on the Router's Wireless/Access Control page, the MAC addresses must be entered without the ":" separators - there's only enough space to enter 12 digits. I was copy and pasting away and wondering why it didn't work, until it dawned on me what was wrong.

If using the Wizard supplied on the CD, when you get to the page about connecting the computer and USB stick to the Router, the check-box before the ""Yes, I have connected the cable correctly" isn't very obvious. If, like me, you don't check this box before clicking on the Next button, an alert box pops up, asking you to finish the connection - leading to more useless searching for a mistake in the hardware setup. Maybe this will save someone else some grief.

BTW, I set up the router manually - worth trying, you can always reset it if you mess up. I left everything at default, except for:

The time server IP, as the router logs showed a connection failure to the default server and the dates in the logs stayed at 1st January 1970. Unfortunately, the one other time server I've tried so far didn't work either. BTW, the time server can only be input as an IP address, not as an address name, so you need a time server which publishes it's IP address.

I changed the SSID (General Settings/Wireless/Basic Settings) to something more recognisable.

I set Encryption (General Settings/Wireless/Security Settings) to WPA pre-shared key, and left the Unicast Cipher Suite at WPA(TKIP), because I don't know enough about these settings.

Under General Settings/Wireless/Access Control, I checked the "Enable Access Control" check-box, and added the MAC addresses of my computers. Use the comment box for identifying the various network cards, in case you want to delete them later. Unfortunately, there's no option for editing existing addresses, so the only editing option is to delete and re-enter them.

Finally, I changed the admin password, often forgotten but worthwhile.

Hope this info might help someone.

PS, try out WirelessMon from Passmark Software (www.passmark.com) - cute signal graph and lots of information on wireless access points.

Hi I'm trying to set up the edimax router with my mobile broadband usb dongle. Do I use the same APN, username and password as the above or are they different for prepay broadband which I use?

I'm really struggling to get it working....been at it for a few nights and still cant get it going. Using the CD that came with it doesnt work either :(
Message 8 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz
Topics: 8
Kudos: 329
Solutions: 208

Hi I'm trying to set up the edimax router with my mobile broadband usb dongle. Do I use the same APN, username and password as the above or are they different for prepay broadband which I use?

I'm really struggling to get it working....been at it for a few nights and still cant get it going. Using the CD that came with it doesnt work either :(

Hi there,
The APN and passwords are the same for both prepay and postpay. Does the stick connect correct correctly when plugged into your pc, so we can rule out issues with the SIM etc?

Thanks!
Learn all about our new forum, right here .
If I've requested details via a private message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link may not be answered.
Message 9 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Reganovski

Yes the stick connects with no problems when I have it connected to the PC.

Are the below details correct so? What is the AT Dial Script?

Message 10 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

Yes the stick connects with no problems when I have it connected to the PC.

Are the below details correct so? What is the AT Dial Script?

The dial script that is enabled in the modem software is *99#, so it may be worth trying this instead.

Good luck, and thanks!
If I've requested details via a private message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link may not be answered.
Message 11 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Reganovski

Right guys....I'm ready to fire the router out the window :(
So I updated the modem software last night and did all the settings as above. But still no luck..is
the pin Code definately the last 4 digits of my telephone number??

I'll just go through the steps of what I do and someone might tell me if I am missing something.
1. Plug in router....I dont have it connected to the PC or I dont have the vodafone dongle in the USB
2. Connect to the router on my PC and then by using 192.168.2.1 I input all the above settings under
quick setup oftion
3. Then I connect the vodafone dongle to the router and wait till the blue lights come on the router
4. I then try to reconnect to the router but it never lets me....I just just cant get reconnected until
I take the vodafone dongle out of the router.

My settings for TCP/IP are all correct I'm pretty sure.

I've also tried using the cd quick setup that came with it but when I get to the "test part"....it
tells me to "check my connection".

Its really becoming frustrating :(
Message 12 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

Hi again,
Could you try pin code 0000 also?

Thanks!
Message 13 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Reganovski

What a disaster of a story for me :(

A buddy has the same router and vodafone dongle. Only difference is that he is on bill pay and i am on prepay.

So I connected my computer to his router and his dongle no problems. Surf the net with no problems.

The I connected my vodafone dongle to his router. I couldnt connect to the internet. I could connect to the router.
The I connected his vodafone dongle to my router. I couldnt connect to the internet. I could connect to the router.

So I'm thinking both the dongle and router are fecked!! :(

I looked at my buddies settings and all he has is that the APN is hs.vodafone.ie. Nothing else in settings!!

I also tried the PIN 0000 as suggested above and didnt work.
Message 14 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Deiseboy

Right guys....I'm ready to fire the router out the window :(
So I updated the modem software last night and did all the settings as above. But still no luck..is
the pin Code definately the last 4 digits of my telephone number??

Just a thought.

The PIN is the last four digits of your Customer Number, not of the Phone number of your SIM.

The customer number is shown at the top of your bill.

I only entered the PIN and the APN - hs.vodafone.ie when I set mine up and it worked without entering user name or password.

The ATDial Script was also entered automatically as *99#

I couldn't get the CD wizard to work so I just entered the settings in the router admin. with the LAN cable connected to the laptop.

It might be an idea to reset the router to the factory default using the button on the back and then start the set up process again.

I also had some problems with the wireless adapter on my laptop which were cured by getting an updated driver. It sounds from what you say as if the modem is connecting to the router (Blue light) but the computer isn't then connecting with the router wirelessly. Can you connect using the LAN via the ethernet cable? If so, the problem is likely to be with the wireless adapter.
Message 15 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
Pianoman

After much playing around with the 2600N, I got it working. Thanks to all the posters to this forum for your advice.

Basically, the 2600N does not seem to currently support the K3765 which is the latest range of 3G modems from Vodafone. Here's what I did to get it working:

1. Upgrade the firmware to v2.12.
Note that on the "upload" of the firmware, this can actually hang the router. Do a power-cycle of the router and try again until you get a statusbar showing 1-100% upgrade and this should do the trick. You'll know if it worked as the interface has changed and the home page will show the IP address 192.168.2.1 and v2.12

2. Replace the 3G Modem. I had an old 3G router from last year hanging around the office so I took the SIM card from the K3765 and put it into the E220 (the older type). This modem needs a cable to connect to the router (one of those large to small USB cables). Pull the power from the Edimax, connect the LAN cable to the PC/Laptop, plug back in the Edimax and let it power-on. I noticed this was the first time the LED for 3G was blinking (blue) instead of just staying on. Also, going to the router config (192.168.2.1) and clicking Status, Modem - it shows me the model of the 3G router and other details which didn't appear when I had connected the newer 3G modem.

3. Enter the 3G Modem details
You'll need to log into the modem config (browser, 192.168.2.1, login as admin). The PIN code seems to be the PIN of the SIM. I could be wrong here but I reset the PIN to "0000" (tested this with a direct connection via vodafone's s/w) and this works. If it was the PIN for vodafone then it would be the last 4 digits of your CUSTOMER number not your phone number but either way, the 0000 worked for me.

APN: hs.vodafone.ie and AT Dial Script: *99# - leave username, password, verify all blank and service: 3G/3.5G Only.

4. Test the connection
Go to www.speedtest.net and test your connection speeds. Seems to me that the E220 is a bit slower than when I connected the K3765 by about 1mb/s but I can cope as long as the router works.

5. Set up wireless
Go into the setup again and set up your wireless settings for your network, disconnect the lan cable (no harm to do a reboot of your PC just to flush out the previous LAN connection) and open up your favourite website.

Worked for me. Possible that the next generation of firmware updates by Edimax might support the newer modems.
Message 16 of 16 (34,910 Views)
Please use plain text.