Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Closure of Vodafone Community 21.06.19 At Vodafone we are constantly reviewing the methods customers can interact with us. Our social channels have evolved and as such we will no longer support the Vodafone Community as of 21.06.19 Our platforms to contact us are • Live Chat https://n.vodafone.ie/support.html by selecting your service type & clicking on the chat pop up • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vodafoneireland/ • Twitter: https://twitter.com/vodafoneireland We would like to thank everyone that has contributed over the years
Close announcement

Mobile Billpay Packages

Incoming scam calls from weird numbers - any way to block?

Highlighted
Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Frequent Poster

Hello All,

Over the last few days I've received 5 (likely scam) calls from following numbers:

+353xxxx

+353xxxx

+353xxxx

+353xxxx

+353xxxx

Note that all of them ar one digit short to be Irish mobile numbers. And the +353 prefix is a giveaway cause there shouldn't be one if I'm in Ireland. I answered the first one cause I didn't pay attention - it was a Chinese automated voice and the call dropped after 5 seconds. When I stopped answering, the calls were hitting the mailbox - all with the same message in Chinese. 

I blocked all of the numbers but obviously they keep calling with a new number.

Is there any way to block these? It's getting frustrating. 

Thank you,

E.

View more options
5 REPLIES 5
Frequent Poster

Got two more:

+353xxxx

+353xxxx

Seems like I'm getting 1 per hour. Blocking every time. Hope something can be done about this... 

View more options
Community Expert

Please dont post private information on a public forum as it is a security risk. It is also against forum rules. Instead Private message a moderator.

There's not a huge amount Vodafone can do quickly other then to investigate the matter. If you're being hassled so much then consider changing your number, report the issue to the Gardaí or try to get an app to block these numbers.

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S10 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Frequent Poster

Thanks @cookie20 but I don't think this is private information. Those seem to be bot-generated, fake phone numbers that don't actually exist cause there are no eight digit long (excluding country code) numbers in Ireland that start with 8 nor there are countries with code +3, +35 or +3538 etc. Keeping these numbers intact in my post would allow other potential targets to come across this thread if they google them. 

I might look into the app but hope Vodafone can assist. 

View more options
Community Expert
Until it's investigated all we have is one persons word. How would you like if someone posted your number claiming something that was fake. I suspect you'd hope people would remove it to protect you as innocent until proven guilty.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S10 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options

Hi there,

These calls are known as Missed Call Fraud. If you receive a call or missed call from an unknown, international number, do not answer or ring back as you may be charged for any return calls you make to these numbers.

Unfortunately, we are unable to block incoming calls from specific numbers, however, we are working hard to protect our customers by blocking outbound calls to these numbers when we become aware of them. If you receive any similar calls to this, we'd recommend you continue to not answer/block these calls.

Further info. on this can be found here - https://n.vodafone.ie/protecting-you.html 

If there's anything else we can do for you here, please get in touch.

Thanks,

Ashling

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up