Search in Community:
Paul
Topics: 1
Kudos: 52
Solutions: 24

Huawei HG556a Software Update

[ Edited ]

UPDATE 16/04/2013: a new firmware is available for the Vodafone Huawei HG556a modem (looking for the new HG658c modem? Click here).

1. Click on this link http://192.168.1.1 to open your modem’s configuration page.

2. When prompted, use the following details to log in:

User Name: advanced
Password: advanced

3. The DSL Router table will be shown on screen.

1.jpg

IMPORTANT! If the Software Version ends in B024 or below (B018, B021 etc.) please follow this link instead - Vodafone will not be able to assist if these steps are not followed and your router is rendered inoperative.

4. Otherwise, if the Software Version ends in B025 or above then click here to download the latest B031 firmware file.

On the popup dialog box click Save and choose a location to save the ZIP folder to.

Open the ZIP folder and move the BIN file to a convenient location such as your desktop; you will need to locate this file later on.

2.jpg

5. Return to your modem’s configuration page, from the left hand menu select Management then Update Software.

6. Click on the Browse... button, locate the BIN file you extracted earlier from the ZIP folder and click Open.

7.  Click the Update Software button.

Do NOT power off your modem while the software update is in progress!

It will take about two minutes for the update to be applied, after which the modem will automatically restart itself and reconnect to the Internet.

Vodafone Community Manager
Learn all about our new forum, right here .
Click here for our Service Charter.
If I've requested details via a Private Message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, unrequested PMs may not be answered.
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 51 (181,121 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
eddied96

Re: Huawei HG556a Software Update

Can we get details of the changelog?

What features have been added and changes made?

Thanks, Edward

Message 2 of 51 (52,185 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz
Topics: 8
Kudos: 329
Solutions: 208

Hiya,

I'll certainly see if we can get one for you.

Thanks,

If I've requested details via a private message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link may not be answered.
Message 3 of 51 (51,766 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
ruby tuesday

Hi, I have tried updating the firmware with link provided by Paul and Daz for the modem as I was experiencing problems with connectivity.  when I did, the message I get tells me that the SSL certificate could not be updated.  My modem is HG556a and ends with B025.  I ran a diagnostics on DSL router page and it failed on F4 and F5 tests, I took a screen shot in case I need to refer to it again.  My modem is randomly dropping signal and also WiFi is very slow when it does come back.  I've been having probelms on and off with modem since the middle of April, can anyone help? 

Message 4 of 51 (51,392 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

Heya,
The download is working correctly for me on Chrome - it may be worth trying a different browser?

The latest firmware version addresses two known bugs, offers enhanced security and introduces one new feature.

• Fixes a bug with the WiFi driver to address intermittent WiFi connectivity issues.
  • Fixes a bug whereby the modem did not automatically failover to the secondary DNS server.
  • Enhanced security against threats from the Internet
  • Added HTTPS support for WAN management.

Thanks,

If I've requested details via a private message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link may not be answered.
Message 5 of 51 (51,314 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
ruby tuesday

Hi Daz, I've tried it in IE and Chrome and it's not working for me in both browsers.  

Message 6 of 51 (51,312 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zee
Poster
Zee

How come the Vodafone IE firmware doesn’t have the DLNA option, with the use of smart phone, Smart TV’s and Tablets DLNA on a router plays a big role in centralising media contents.  DLNA has been available on the Spanish and New Zealand firmware for a long time.

Message 7 of 51 (51,296 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

[ Edited ]

Hiya,

Ruby - Could you list the steps you're taking before it fails - just want to check on where the issue is?

Zee, no idea, but I'll see if there are plans to include this functionality.

Thanks,

Message 8 of 51 (51,090 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
JD VF

Hi ruby tuesday,

You may be trying to update the Certificate instead of the Software. You need to click on the Update Software link. (see picture above)
Message 9 of 51 (51,047 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
ruby tuesday

No JD it's not the certificate that I'm updating I'm definitely on the right page.  The .bin file uploads fine but when I click on update software nothing is happening.  

Hi Daz, 

I know this sounds like a stupid question.....Step 1 is the .bin file that you need to upload or is there a separate image I should be uploading first?  

Message 10 of 51 (50,988 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

Hiya,

Could you send me over your landline and a link to this thread please?

I have a plan - I just need you to leave the modem running.

Thanks,

Message 11 of 51 (50,818 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
moroneyc

I don't have the same interface as that, mine is different, I have three headings, Vodafone DSL Router (Service Status, Applications, Router, WiFi, Telephony, HSPA and Administration), Home Network (Connected equipment, Hard Disk, FTP and UPNP) and Support (Troubleshooting). 

I was wondering where I would go to update my software?

Message 12 of 51 (47,061 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

That actually sounds like it may be a different router - it looks similar though.

Does the word 'Bewan' appear on it anywhere (especially on the actual device)?

Thanks,

Message 13 of 51 (47,051 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
moroneyc

No, It dosent appear anywhere on the actual device, I dont know what is wrong. On the box it says Hardware Version(HG55VDFA VER.C)

Message 14 of 51 (46,768 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

Hmmmm, ok - I may be able to do something from here...

Just private message over your landline number and a link to this thread.

Thanks,

Message 15 of 51 (46,471 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
pedram_ashena

hey

i have 556a with type b hardware version.
i updated firmware to B031 from this link
https://broadband.vodafone.ie/download/files/HG556a_B031.zip

not working on my modem and can not Access to adsl
now how i can rollback firmware to Spain version? i got error when i want update another firmware.(V100R001C10B083 (Routers Only A or B)

thx :smileysad:
Message 16 of 51 (45,949 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

Hiya,
Are you based in Ireland? If not, you may just need to update the username/password combination, as it would have been replaced with the Ireland version.

Thanks,

Message 17 of 51 (45,533 Views)
Please use plain text.
Poster
gboltonx

I have this router and My new Samsung Galaxy S4 was plagued by WiFi issues, it would only work correctly in the room where the router was situated and when I went upstairs the WiFi signal would go down ( still does ) and reconnect every 2-3 minutes. Tried everything available on google and as a last resort found this update for the modem and its fixed the disconnecting issue (been 30 minutes no disconnect)

I wonder what update in this made it fix this issue? As the only fix before this was to turn off "WiFi power save option" in the device settings using *#00100# but this ruined battery life.

Message 18 of 51 (42,295 Views)
Please use plain text.
Daz

Hiya,

It sounds like there was a glitch in the previous version installed - thanks for letting us know the update fixed the issue though.

Thanks,

Message 19 of 51 (41,635 Views)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sadiq_Redmond

Daz same issue with moroneyc and my box is version c too ill PM you the details :smileyhappy:
Sadiq Redmond,

Welcome to Vodafone and the eForum.
Please set up a thread if you need help with a query. Did I help you with your query? Then Please Click the Thumbs Up Button and Solution Solved As Helping You Can Help Others. - Owner of: iPhone 4s/5/5s /Blackberry Q10/Curve 9320/Vodafone Smart 1 and Samsung Galaxy S3. Don't PM Me Personal Details. And Yes I'm a Astronomer and a Physicist
Message 20 of 51 (40,777 Views)
Please use plain text.