Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Closure of Vodafone Community 21.06.19 At Vodafone we are constantly reviewing the methods customers can interact with us. Our social channels have evolved and as such we will no longer support the Vodafone Community as of 21.06.19 Our platforms to contact us are • Live Chat https://n.vodafone.ie/support.html by selecting your service type & clicking on the chat pop up • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vodafoneireland/ • Twitter: https://twitter.com/vodafoneireland We would like to thank everyone that has contributed over the years
Close announcement

Fixed Service Technical Support

Vodafone Gigabox - Number of devices supported? VOIP telephony?

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Frequent Poster

I seem to be obsessed by having questions that no-one seems to be able to answer.

In the hope this will not be one of those occasons, here goes!

I am having fibre to the home installed next week and will be replacing my Huawei B528 mobile broadband router with a Gigabox.

The B528 is a dual band router, as is the Gigabox.

For the former it clearly states that it can support up to 64 simultaneous wireless connections. For the Gigabox, I can find no information anywhere about its wireless connection capabilities.

It matters to me because I have in excess of 40 wireless devices in my home which the B528 router happily deals with provided they are split between 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

I would be very unhappy if the Gigabox cannot do the ame or better.

Anybody know the answer?

There are two ports on the Gigabox to which analogue telephone handsets can be connected.

At home I have  total of 6 analogue "freedom" phones. They are split into two groups of three with each group having one base station and two satellite handsets. Each base station needs a telephone cable connection in order for it and its satellites to function. Each of the two groups operate on the same telephone number.

Question is, do I connect each of my two groups of phones into one of the two telephone connections on the Gigabox and having done so, will they continue to function, as they now do, using a single telephone number/connection, or are the two telephone ports on the Gigabox there to connect two separate telephone "lines", each with different a telephone number?

I expect the idea is to allow the connection of two handsets that can use a single telephone connection, but I have a problem visualising a situation where it would be useful to have two handsets connected to one telephone line unless the handsets were located a significant distance apart. Any ideas?

View more options
10 REPLIES 10
Community Expert

Please stick to the one location on the same issue:
https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Other-Devices/How-many-devices-can-connect-simultaneously-to-this-d...

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S10 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Frequent Poster

Hi cookie20,

I'm a newbie on the forum so haven't a particularly good grasp of the rules about posting. However, if I understand what you're pointing out to me correctly, it appears that although my topic in this post bears a similarity to my earlier post about LTE routers, this one concerns fixed broadband and it didn't seem appropriate to post it under that particular thread.

Am I missing something? If so, please explain.

View more options
Highlighted
Community Expert
Reading back you're actually fine where you are now. Mods will be back Monday to assist.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S10 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in our reply. We've raised these queries with the fixed tech team and will get back to you on their reply.

Thanks,

Liam

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options

Hi there,

The team got back to us and have clarified the below.

The Gigabox will have the same capability as the B528, allowing you to connect up to 64 devices, splitting the devices between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz 

In regards to your second question, only phones connected to Phone 1 will work (Phone 2 does not have any number assigned). So in your case, only three of your handsets will be connected.

Thanks,

Liam

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Frequent Poster

Can I just ask one further question to the mix?

With conventional copper telephone lines, it's easy enough to hook up multiple handsets to a single telephone line using a splitter. Is it possible to do the same with the telephone outlet on the gigabox?

View more options

Sorry for the delay in our response. The tech team have confirmed that this will indeed work for you.

Thanks,

Liam

View more options
Frequent Poster

Hi Liam,

I am grateful for the information about telephone splitters. In actual fact, I'm in the position of needing to connect three devices to the gigabox's telephone outlet if I am to avoid having to buy replacement telephone equipment and to avoid losing analogue phone connectivity for my burglar alarm. I'm sure others thinking about an installation will encounter the same problem and will benefit from knowing in advance whether their existing telephony will interface with a gigabox. I also have to say that the reliability of answers to the questions the forum has provided to my queries is far more consistent and believable than those I obtained from other sources in Vodafone customer support. I would urge existing and potential Vodafone customers to join and benefit from the forum's enthusiasm and expertise.

View more options
Community Expert
Thanks for the positive feedback Smiley Wink
Cookie
View more options

Thanks for this feedback. Please get back to us if you've any further queries.

Thanks,

Liam

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up