Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
From 04.04.19 to 29.04.19 responses may be delayed. To ensure the fastest response to your query, please click here and select your service type, to speak with our live chat team.
Close announcement

Fixed Service Technical Support

Slow Internet speed broadband line

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster
I have home broadband & TV from Vodaphone.
For the past week or so the download speed has dropped down to about 11 Mbps.
I have run the speed test on https://speedtest.net with the following results:
Wifi Results before a loss of download speed on 13/03/2019:
Ping 16
Download Speed 84.6 Mbps
Upload Speed 16.2 Mbps

-----------------------------------------------------------------

wifi Connection Results on 01/04/2019

Ping 16
Download Speed 9.17 Mbps
Upload Speed 14.2 Mbps

Ethernet Cable Connection Results
Ping 14
Download Speed 11.17 Mbps
Upload Speed 16.4 Mbps

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have done the usual, disconnected everything, pc connected to the modem by cable,
turned off wi-fi, etc so only 1 device is connected. Swapped the Modem wall DSL cable.
and it gave the same performance.

Performance is the same day or night.
View more options
8 REPLIES 8
Frequent Poster
Me too. What are your line stats from the router? Is your router syncing at what it is supposed to? I’m on a 50 down 15 up profile and for the past week my download has been max. 20 down on wifi but the upload has been unaffected. Another person on the Boards.ie Vodafone forum has the same issue. The strange thing is my router is syncing at the correct rate so I’m thinking it’s a problem with the Vodafone backhaul end of things or else the Speedtest iOS app. I tested my iPhone XS Max. on the in-laws Vodafone broadband as they live across the road and the same thing - download affected but upload correct!
View more options
Community Expert

Mods aren't around much at present (see note at the top of this page) but you could try live chat. To use live chat click support at the top of this page then choose the service you need support with (bill or pre pay. etc..). Click CHAT icon that pops up in the bottom right hand corner of the next screen.

Or call 1907 option 2

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S10 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Contributor

Can I ask if any of the posters who are affected by this reduced download speed have had Power Cuts or Power occurrences where the power switches off & then on again automatically after a few seconds recently ? Where I live in the South West we are plagued by automatic power resets where the system automatically resets itself like a fault test.

The reason I ask the above is that I’ve been plagued by this reduced download speed for some time now. It always occurs after a loss of power. After such power cuts my broadband would be very unreliable, high pings & jitter with reduced download speed. It usually sorted itself out after a few hours or sometimes days. It seems to be caused by high voltage on the line after power is restored.

However recently when my broadband got back to something like normal I found that my download speed would be reduced to approx half of what I usually had before.

The cure or at least what has worked for me is as follows.

Disconnect the modem by pulling out the power jack from the rear of the unit. Leave it out for a while like when having your lunch or whatever. Put the power jack back in & allow the modem to reboot. It will take a couple of minutes. Do a speed test & see if that helps.

You may have to do this more than once. I had to do it three times yesterday before my download speed got back to where it should be normally.

A couple of things which may help to eliminate these download speed problems are

(1)If you have a power cut pull out the power jack from the rear of your modem & don’t replace it until at least 5 or 10 minutes after power is restored.

(2) Run your modem from a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) which can be bought quite cheaply. All you need is a small one which will keep your modem going during a power cut.

Now what I have posted here may not be any help to the posters who are having problems here but the information may be of some help to others suffering similar problems to my own.

View more options
Frequent Poster
Yeah we’d a power cut on Thursday alright. Will turn off the modem like you suggested. It’s a strange one as the line is syncing at the correct speed and the upload is not affected.
View more options
Highlighted
Contributor
It was the same with me.
The only thing affected was the download speed.
Disconnect the modem totally by pulling out the power jack from the rear of the unit.
View more options
Frequent Poster
Right so it’s resolved but removing the power cable didn’t work . I had to do a factory reset of the router to get everything back to normal! I never had to do that before. Not sure what caused it but the power cut is a strong possibility.
View more options
Contributor
Glad you got it sorted.
It seems the restoration of power is causing a problem for the Vodafone modem. It was suggested to me to plug out the modem when there was a power cut & not to plug it in again until after power is restored.
View more options

Hi there,

We're really sorry for the delay in responding, we experienced a high volume of queries.

@pablohoney1 - We're delighted to hear your issue has since been resolved. If you run into any further issues, please don't hesitate to contact us here.

@amdaley - I have come back to you and requested that you PM us with your personal details. As soon as we receive your info, we can look into your issue in further detail.

@djinfo - Can you advise if you're still experiencing slow broadband speeds? If so, can you confirm if you have reached out to our tech team on 1907 (option 2) to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks,

Ashling

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up