Fixed Service Technical Support

Fibre Broadband - no service & dead modem

SOLVED
View solved solution
Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster

Hi all,

My parents have been having some serious issues with their fibre broadband service, which has today culimanted with a total breakdown in service.

Just some background - Vodafone contacted them during the summer to advise them that they should upgrade to fibre broadband. They agreed to do so and KN sent out a technican to install the modem. Prior to this they were using ADSL with no issues.

After the installation there has been continous problems where the internet has been dropping, sometimes for hours on end. KN also removed the third party modem which I had in place which meant they can no longer recieve wi-fi throughout the house from the substandard HG658c modem that it was replaced with. The average download speed is 1 - 1.5Mbps, there has been no improvement in speeds since moving to fibre. They contacted Vodafone in October / November to request assistance with the poor service and slow download speeds. Vodafone sent them an automated text message to say it had been resolved. No one every visited the house and they were never advised that someone visisted the exchange either. The problems persisted.

Fast forward to last night. The Huawei HG658c bricked itself at midnight and went into a full restart. It is now stuck with all lights on the panel lit-up, except the WiFi light. Here's a breakdown of the light sequence:

Power: Orange

Link: Green

Internet: Orange

Wi-Fi: No light

Voice: Orange

Ethernet 1: Green

Ethernet 2: Green

Ethernet 3: Green

Ethernet 4: Green

USB: Green

This light sequence shows up even when only the power cord is in. Using the manual reset on the back panel is no use, nothing at all happens - the lighting sequence does not change whatsoever. The unit is dead. There is no internet connection and it is not broadcasing any wi-fi. 

I contacted customer support today and I am not happy with my experience. 

The first customer representative I spoke to went thorugh the modem troubleshooting and quickly agreed that I needed a new modem, and then transfered me to a sales representative who demanded I pay for a new one despite the fact that KN only installed the current one less than six months ago. I requested a manager to call me back, still waiting on that.

I then spoke to my parents and realised just how poor the service has been since the fibre upgrade. I decided to use my own Netgear Nighthawk D7000 modem to see if that would work (and yes, it has full vectoring & VDSL support). It wouldnt work, I was getting the green light for the VDSL connection but the Internet connection light was red. I rang customer care and the representative went through the setup procedure with me. He had my account details, but tried to setup the modem as if it was an ADSL connection using the old vodafone@vodafone.ie / broadband combination. He then told me he couldn't go any further as he is not trained to setup third-party modem. Fair enough, but he didn't tell me that you guys have locked down fibre broadband to the Huawei HG658c modem. I only discovered this after doing some further research.

I later spoke to a third representative who immediately informed me that there was a problem with the 'external line' and that a technican would need to visit the exchange. She tested the line on her end with the Huawei HG658c disconnected - no modem was in place for this test.

So currently my parents have been left with no broadband service over the holiday period. To make matters worse their Sky TV has been knocked off as Sky Q relies on a broadband service.

What is going on here? How could one customer support representative immediately recognise a problem with the line when two others previously said it was fine and the problem was exclusive to the modem? Why wasn't the problem fixed when my parents first reported it earlier in the year? How did the KN technican sign off on the upgrade when the download speeds were only 1 - 1.5Mbps?

My current situation is that I'm awaiting a callback in 3-5 days to update me on the problem with the line. No new modem is on the way to me either, even though it's clearly dead.

Also, why can't we use our own third-party modem with the service?

I'm considering cancelling the contract and moving to Sky Broadband. We've been Vodafone broadband customers for years - we were with BT Ireland back in the day. Highly unsasisfited with my current experience though, disasterous since it was upgraded to fibre.

View more options
7 REPLIES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, I can look into this for you?

Landline number/CRN:

Contact number:

Address:

Date of birth:

Link to your thread or post:

Do you have a dial tone/can you reach 1777:

Have you tried the steps linked here:

It is possible to set up a third party VDSL modem - however we offer no support for doing so.

Thanks,

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Poster

Sorted, thanks Daz. 

View more options
Poster
Having exactly the same trouble. Have been in touch with Vodafone 4 weeks ago, still not sorted.
View more options

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear you're having issues. Can you please send us a PM with the below details?

Account number:

Date of Birth:

Full address:

Thanks,

Liam

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options

Hi there, 
Our apologies for the delay in responding to your query. It appears that you would need to contact our dedicated technical team on 1907 option 2 so they can troubleshoot directly over the phone with you and look into your query further. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused. ~Ailís

View more options
Poster
New customer waiting 2 days for modem to work,to be told it take a week before I have jnternet,apparently an outage in Waterford,preventing initial completion of broadband set up
View more options

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear this. Can you advise if you have been in touch with our at home team in relation to your installation?

Danielle 

If I've requested details via a private message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link may not be answered.
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up