Fixed Service Technical Support

1GB SIRO speed issue

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster

Hi,  I have SIRO installed in my home . and 1gb internet speed deal 

however wifi 2.4 support me only 50mb and 150mb on 5G 

with ethernet cable speed up to 800mb. 

my question is why wifi speed is so poor considering I have 1gb deal and SIRO installed in my home

thanks. 

View more options
28 REPLIES 28
Community Expert

Many factors affect WiFi speed including:
Devices in use
interferance from other wireless signals (baby monitors, other WiFi networks, Bluetooth)
Number of devices accessing the WiFi at the same time

You could upgrade your home to support cat 6 or 7 ethernet cable. and you might get higher speeds on wired devices. Remember too the servers you accessing will also impact speed. Like miles per gallon all speeds are theoretical.

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Valued Poster
Yeah as cookie20 says it depends on the devices your using.
Even though a device can connect to a 5ghz wireless band you will only get maximum speed once your device can use all of that speed
I. E. I have virgin media 240mb.
My Toshiba laptop will only speedtest at 130mb (as its an old laptop with 5ghz dongle)
My Sony Xperia XZ3 will give me speedtest of 240mb in exact same location, as it has multiple antennas and newer technologies inside of it to get the most out of a wireless connection
View more options
Poster
About the device I wanted to ask something so
My MSI laptop has 802.11 ac and I belive that suppose support even more than 100mb.
And on the normal wifi get only 50-80 mb with 5G get only 150mb.
I have two decent gaming laptop with same 802.11 ac and they both didnt get enough speed
View more options
Community Expert

There are so many possibilities:

Is it a dual antenna router (2.4 and 5Ghz) or single (2.4 or 5Ghz)?
What other WiFi devices are connecting (are they all ac or are there g and b and a devices and can the router brodcast multiple signals or will it slow things to the worst device connecting)?

Are there many routers/devices around you using the same wifi channel?
Are you using the default DNS or open DNS or google DNS servers (small impact but still there)?

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Valued Poster
Yeah id have a guess thats its the lack of multiple antennas in your router to laptop setup that's what is the bulk of your lack of wireless 1gb speed
View more options
Valued Poster
What's the model number of the wireless card in your laptop?
View more options
Valued Poster
If you run a speed test on your phone what speed are you getting when connected to the 5ghz band?
View more options
Poster

My laptop has intel dual band wireless AC-3165, Killer E2400 Gibabit ethernet controller. 

and I think this wireless adapter suppose to support up to 400mb as I read it's information.

on my phone 5G my wifi speed working around 155mb and 146upload mb which is faster than my laptop

my laptop 5b wireless today working only 50mb 130mb upload  2,4B wireless working 46mb 35upload.

I'm using my laptop just right infront of my router from vodafone. 

seems like my phone (galaxy note5) wireless internet much fater than my laptop 

it was work fine few monthes ago. it wasn't perfect but still I could get on 2.4g around 150mb  and 5g  around 200mb and now it's just too slow than before.  

update * I tried to disconnect all other devices . on 5G now the speed just nothing better less than 100mb at the monent . I don't know why xd 

Thanks

View more options
Valued Poster

I have a feeling that your wifi chip on your laptop maybe faulty. ( that was the case for me)

You could try and get something like this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Band-600Mbps-USB-WiFi-Dongle-Wireless-LAN-Adapter-802-11ac-a-b-g-n-5...

"Dual Band 600Mbps USB WiFi Dongle Wireless LAN Adapter 802.11ac/a/b/g/n 5/2.4Ghz" and see if your speeds improve.

Mobiles may have fast faster speeds as it may have more antennas inside it, so it can download more.

What speed to you get if you plug an ethernet cable into your laptop? you should be getting approx 1 gb with your ethernet card

Also it does sound as if your not getting a the 1gb speed via siro

View more options
Poster

I'm using intel duel band ac 3165  

and I checked the wireless speed with disconnect devices but still it's same or getting worse so I think my issue is not from distract from other device. and no I don't use any DNS server could you let me know what DNS is suppose to be normal ? I can check out if mine is fine 

View more options
Community Expert
The DNS will have a negligable affect so it's not the primary issue. To be honest while you might want faster speeds, 50mbs is excellent. You could end up chasing your tail trying to increase speeds. For instance are the speed tests the same across different browsers? If you want maximum speed then use a wired connection. I presume you're not using a VPN?
Cookie
View more options
Community Expert
No harm trying this:
Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.
Cookie
View more options
Poster

If I connect ethernet cable I can get approx 1gb around 800mb. 

However I think it is not my inside device problem. because I have the other gaming laptop even  has better system and expensive than that one  currently I'm using. but on the other  laptop it has the same speed as this MSI laptop. 

If I had different speed between this and other laptop I can presume it might just this laptop wireless adaptor has something problem. but It's just same... that's why I can't figure it out what is the problem. 

View more options
Poster

Hi sir

I followed your CMD instruction and had speed test again

surprisingly the speed increased to 250mb and 147mb upload speed almost 3times faster now since it was only 50mb on 5G. Thank you so much. 

Do you think is that the best speed I could get with my device ?. 

View more options
Community Expert

There are people around the country (possibly reading this) crying for a fraction of that speed. Average user will not notice a difference between 1GB and 250mbs when using the internet for routine stuff.

Cookie
View more options
Poster

Yea but I paid for 1Gb deal per month and if I can't use the right speed what is the point to pay for it

I'm not trying to offend anyone else, just wondering why I can't use the right speed as it said 1gb deal. 

thank you for your help in this matter

I appriciate 

View more options
Community Expert
Not quite. It's sold as "up to 1gb" not guaranteed. You get close to that over a wired connection. It would never be possible to definitely get this over WiFi as there's far too many variables.
Cookie
View more options
Highlighted
Valued Poster
I'd say it's your laptop wireless that's maxing out your WiFi speed.
Could be your motherboard only allowing a certain
x mbps bandwidth even though your wireless card maybe getting a high bandwidth. I would see can you see more reviews about your laptop and wireless speeds it achieves.
I have a feeling that your mobile will give you a higher speed as newer mobiles have multiple anteenas inside them so may give a higher speed.
View more options
Valued Poster
If your getting 800mbps when laptop is connected via cable I'd say your are getting 1gbps into the router.
Its an lack of compatible wireless modems inside your devices to give you max WiFi that the router is outputting
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up