Kudos: 398
Solutions: 39

Re:Phone Line down - Nothing from Vodafone

Ok Results below:

New Modem - Reset carried out. Able to connect to Internet wirelessly
Phone line working while connected to the internet
Sky plugged into VF router - Internet and phone working

Looks like it was something with the VF modem/router

Glad to hear you have your network and phone up and running again (at the same time i mean)

*I am not a Vodafone employee and the opinions expressed in my posts are that of my own

Has your issue been resolved? If so please take the time to click the "Problem Solved" button (on the bottom left)
Want to say thanks? Click the thumbs up button
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 21 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Guys,

I just had a call from my wife. She was unable to use the phone this morning as the broadband was plugged in. So we are back to square one really. To use the phone she has to unplug the internet. This was working over yesterday, although there was a buzz on the phone line. When I dial the landline now I get an error tone and on her end the phone is engaged.

So something is going on lads. Can this get sorted asap please? Its a bloody joke at this stage.
Message 22 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Topics: 41
Kudos: 518
Solutions: 488

Guys,

I just had a call from my wife. She was unable to use the phone this morning as the broadband was plugged in. So we are back to square one really. To use the phone she has to unplug the internet. This was working over yesterday, although there was a buzz on the phone line. When I dial the landline now I get an error tone and on her end the phone is engaged.

So something is going on lads. Can this get sorted asap please? Its a bloody joke at this stage.

Hiya,
I'm still replying to you over on boards.
I'll keep coming back to you there so we're not working on 2 threads for the same issue.

Thanks!
Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 23 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Paul,

Here is the latest update. We had an engineer from Eircom call to the house this morning. He said the issue is with the Vodafone modem. If we unplug the modem, the phone line works. If we plug it back in, the line give an engaged tone. Because the issue is with the VF modem he is charging us €100 to fix and has told us to claim this from Vodafone.

Can you tell me what we are supposed to do now? We have no phone if we want broadband and no broadband if we want the phone. What a joke. This has been going on now for weeks and I would like it resolved before the end of the week.
Message 24 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Paul,

Here is the latest update. We had an engineer from Eircom call to the house this morning. He said the issue is with the Vodafone modem. If we unplug the modem, the phone line works. If we plug it back in, the line give an engaged tone. Because the issue is with the VF modem he is charging us €100 to fix and has told us to claim this from Vodafone.

Can you tell me what we are supposed to do now? We have no phone if we want broadband and no broadband if we want the phone. What a joke. This has been going on now for weeks and I would like it resolved before the end of the week.

Gordon

I am in the same boat, i have tried to have this fixed by Vodafone now for months, my scenario is the same, told it was the electricians who wired it, but it did work now it doesnt, did you speak to anyone at comreg, has vodafone helped you, as I am at the end of my tether and when you phone you get a vodafone person who wants to go over it again.

Paul if you read this, please call me so I can have mine rectified too.

What a joke
Message 25 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Ok Results below:

New Modem - Reset carried out. Able to connect to Internet wirelessly
Phone line working while connected to the internet
Sky plugged into VF router - Internet and phone working

Looks like it was something with the VF modem/router

I am on my third modem, they just keep sending them, still not fixed
Message 26 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Gordon

I am in the same boat, i have tried to have this fixed by Vodafone now for months, my scenario is the same, told it was the electricians who wired it, but it did work now it doesnt, did you speak to anyone at comreg, has vodafone helped you, as I am at the end of my tether and when you phone you get a vodafone person who wants to go over it again.

Paul if you read this, please call me so I can have mine rectified too.

What a joke

Hi Michael,

Nope, no help at all from Vodafone. According to Darren it could be subsidence with the house causing wires to touch (bull), a wiring fault (more bull as it was working) and some other excuse I cant think of. 3 modems later I actually went and got the old Eircom router (Motorolla I think) and plugged that it. Hey presto my phone line now works with my broadband, at the same time. Had to go out and buy a splitter cable yesterday so that I could use the Sky+ at the same point as the broadband. Hey presto that now works too.
Have Vodafone helped - not at all. Have I had to keep chasing them to get answers? - Yes and Im still chasing them.
Im sorry but its a pathetic service that a customer can have this issue for 4 weeks and have to fix the issue himself. Its a disgrace and still nothing from Vodafone on it when I posted yesterday.
Im going to contact Comreg this morning Michael but to be honest I dont know what they can do.
Have you any way of getting a different router/modem to test if that would sort it out? If not let me know and Ill see if I have any in the store room here at work that I could send you and at least test it and get you up and running.

G
Message 27 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Topics: 41
Kudos: 518
Solutions: 488

Hi Michael,

Nope, no help at all from Vodafone. According to Darren it could be subsidence with the house causing wires to touch (bull), a wiring fault (more bull as it was working) and some other excuse I cant think of. 3 modems later I actually went and got the old Eircom router (Motorolla I think) and plugged that it. Hey presto my phone line now works with my broadband, at the same time. Had to go out and buy a splitter cable yesterday so that I could use the Sky+ at the same point as the broadband. Hey presto that now works too.
Have Vodafone helped - not at all. Have I had to keep chasing them to get answers? - Yes and Im still chasing them.
Im sorry but its a pathetic service that a customer can have this issue for 4 weeks and have to fix the issue himself. Its a disgrace and still nothing from Vodafone on it when I posted yesterday.
Im going to contact Comreg this morning Michael but to be honest I dont know what they can do.
Have you any way of getting a different router/modem to test if that would sort it out? If not let me know and Ill see if I have any in the store room here at work that I could send you and at least test it and get you up and running.

G

Hi there,
The reasons given for line faults were valid, these things can and do occur.
You have had 3 routers sent to you, and the issue continued in each case, therefore it was reasonable to assume that this issue was not the router.
In addition, one of those routers was sent directly from our office, and had been tested before sending, without any of these issues occuring.
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 28 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Hi there,
The reasons given for line faults were valid, these things can and do occur.
You have had 3 routers sent to you, and the issue continued in each case, therefore it was reasonable to assume that this issue was not the router.
In addition, one of those routers was sent directly from our office, and had been tested before sending, without any of these issues occuring.

Darren, the last router you sent me worked for less than a day and then the issue re appeared. Nothing has changed in our house at all in the time from the problem appearing 4 weeks ago to now. I got the Eircom modem that we got when we moved in and plugged that in and its working perfectly. Why is that? Whats the story with the 3 modems/routers that Vodafone sent me? Obviously they are faulty in some way. The modem did work until a month ago and now none of them work. Ive been extremely patient with this from the start and in the end I find that I had to resolve the issue myself. When VF were supposed to ship the modem on the Friday as promised they left it until the following Wednesday to do so. Why? And where does this leave me now? Obviously I am with Vodafone, yet I am using an Eircom router because the ones VF sent me are not working.
Also am I supposed to pay my line rental and phone charges seeing as I was without a proper service for a month? It you were in my shoes Darren you would be less than impressed also.
Message 29 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Topics: 1
Kudos: 40
Solutions: 24

Hi Gordon,
We fully appreciate your point of view here and agree you've been very patient. 4 weeks is far beyond the norm we'd see with DSL issues. Initially this was tested diagnosed as a Lightening damage with parts replaced by supplier engineers, as well as wiring being identified as a problem.

The modem issue seems to have been simultaneous as well.

The delay in dispatching the modem was entirely human error & my fault, which I apologise for.
And while mine and Darrens main focus is to get this closed off for you, I can appreciate that you've been paying rental on your line which is not functioning properly.
Once resolved I'll discuss line rental for the duration of the fault with you.

As for next steps, the quick option would be to supply another modem.
The likelihood of three separate modems being faulty is quite low though, so we want to be sure there's not another factor at play before we are sure it's the modem.

Myself and Darren are speaking to the relevant teams and will be back to you today.

Paul.
Vodafone Community Manager
Click here for our Service Charter.
If I've requested details via a Private Message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, unrequested PMs may not be answered.
Message 30 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Hi Gordon,
We fully appreciate your point of view here and agree you've been very patient. 4 weeks is far beyond the norm we'd see with DSL issues. Initially this was tested diagnosed as a Lightening damage with parts replaced by supplier engineers, as well as wiring being identified as a problem.

The modem issue seems to have been simultaneous as well.

The delay in dispatching the modem was entirely human error & my fault, which I apologise for.
And while mine and Darrens main focus is to get this closed off for you, I can appreciate that you've been paying rental on your line which is not functioning properly.
Once resolved I'll discuss line rental for the duration of the fault with you.

As for next steps, the quick option would be to supply another modem.
The likelihood of three separate modems being faulty is quite low though, so we want to be sure there's not another factor at play before we are sure it's the modem.

Myself and Darren are speaking to the relevant teams and will be back to you today.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Just to let you know that I am very frustrated that this has taken so long and is still not resolved completely. Having said that I am not looking for a scapegoat in all of this and I would not point the finger at either Darren or yourself. I work in IT and have made my fair share of errors that have caused timelines to be extended so I know what its like. As you said its human error and s**t happens! Any issue I have ever had with any of the mobile phones I have had, you sorted in incredible time and I am very grateful for that.
Look I dont mind testing out another modem and seeing if that works. At this stage I just want it resolved and closed. Currently the Eircom router is working and all seems fine so that has to rule out a wiring issue on our end. At least internally within the house. So testing another modem from VF would be a logical step.
Apologies to both yourself and Darren for any gruffness or abruptness in my posts but the levels of frustration were at breaking point. It was never meant as a personal attack on either of you.

G
Message 31 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Paul, please see the date on the above post. 1st July. Its now the 18th August and this is still not sorted.
This is absolutely pathetic guys.
Message 32 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

I am in the same boat no response, they blame everything else except themselves. Cant count the times I have called and emailed all together.

what a shambles.
Message 33 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

I am in the same boat no response, they blame everything else except themselves. Cant count the times I have called and emailed all together.

what a shambles.

Lets not even get into it Michael. I find out today that they are only now ordering the router because of some "new" policy.
Apart from that I had a problem with my iphone and have made claim on it. Was told that it would be delivered today. No sign of it. Called Stay Mobile only to be told that they can offer no explanation as to why I do not have it. Im sorry but this is a bloody joke at this stage.
Message 34 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Lets not even get into it Michael. I find out today that they are only now ordering the router because of some "new" policy.
Apart from that I had a problem with my iphone and have made claim on it. Was told that it would be delivered today. No sign of it. Called Stay Mobile only to be told that they can offer no explanation as to why I do not have it. Im sorry but this is a bloody joke at this stage.
Message 35 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

The sad part is this is not a joke but reality, service this poor in 2010 is totally unacceptable. Comreg is my next option, but will they help !!
Message 36 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

The sad part is this is not a joke but reality, service this poor in 2010 is totally unacceptable. Comreg is my next option, but will they help !!

Hey Michael. Im contacting Comreg today. Ive had such a fiasco with Vodafone. 2 replaced handsets which were faulty, a phone service at home that has been giving problems with the modem, and now my mobile phone which I claimed for on Monday still has not been sent out to me. Nothing but excuses from VF and I have to keep chasing them to get any kind of update or answer.
Message 37 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey Michael. Im contacting Comreg today. Ive had such a fiasco with Vodafone. 2 replaced handsets which were faulty, a phone service at home that has been giving problems with the modem, and now my mobile phone which I claimed for on Monday still has not been sent out to me. Nothing but excuses from VF and I have to keep chasing them to get any kind of update or answer.

Hi GordonMyers

I believe Paul F is looking into this for you and will get back to you shortly.

Thanks
Retired moderator - please do not PM details to me, as I will not be able to respond.
Message 38 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Please let me know if they do anything, we have an identical problem so very interested in a solution, I do have an eircom modem, but I do not have the software or do you not need it.
Message 39 of 50 (32,406 Views)
Poster

Please let me know if they do anything, we have an identical problem so very interested in a solution, I do have an eircom modem, but I do not have the software or do you not need it.

Hi Michael, nothing back on the modem. Paul has told me that it has and still is being ordered.
But I did get the phone sorted. Had to drive myself and pick it up on Friday. I think my history is still showing I had 3 upgrades which Im not happy about as the first 2 phone had issues that were beyond my control. Anyway it is Vodafone we're dealing with.
Message 40 of 50 (32,406 Views)