Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Fixed Service Packages & Plans

My download speed?

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster
I have a 7mb home broadband package, and have set up my modem correctly, but it says my "You are connected.

Your speed is 800 Kb/s (down), 384 Kb/s. (up)."

shouldn't it be 7000 Kb/s (down) and a higher upload rate?

Im also getting 50-80 kbps download speed which is very disappointing since i should be getting at least speeds of 300kbps.

Am i doing anything wrong? I pinged my dns server and it said <1 second ping time,

Also, When i try to connect via wi-fi from a laptop, after i enter my Key, it says "acquiring network address" Infinitely.

We only recieved the new bewan modem today, And we were previously recieving 1mb perlico broadband, which did the same speeds of 50-80kbps.
I have a strange feeling that we are not properly connected to vodafone broadband, and I hope e can get this problem solved very soon.
View more options
14 REPLIES
Community Expert
What exactly are you getting speeds of 50-80 kbps on?
Run a speed test : - http://www.speedtest.net/ and see how you get on

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Poster

What exactly are you getting speeds of 50-80 kbps on?
Run a speed test : - http://www.speedtest.net/ and see how you get on

it says 0.24mb/s download and 0.38mb/s upload
View more options
Frequent Poster

Im also getting 50-80 kbps download speed which is very disappointing since i should be getting at least speeds of 300kbps.

50kbps = 5Kb/s , 300kbps = 30Kb/s
3000kbps = 300Kb/s

kbps = kilo bites per second
Kb/s = kilo bytes per second

^There is a big difference between the meaning of the two of them.
As i said before When you are downloading stuff using the Windows operating system it is always measured in Kb/s.
View more options
Poster
Hi Rawr
Can you send us the landline number by private message so that we can check the profile.Thanks

Val
Valerie

Vodafone View team.
Not a Vodafone customer yet? Talk to Vodafone on Boards.ie
View more options
Poster

Hi Rawr
Can you send us the landline number by private message so that we can check the profile.Thanks

Val

Im getting 50-80 KILOBYTES per second, when i should be getting 700? e.g it takes me around 20 seconds to download a megabyte.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

To clarify on this, which is stated on the vodafone website, and many other broadband providers.

7.6mb = 760Kb/s , 3mb = 300Kb/s
Often broadband providers show this figure as 7000mbps which is correct in its own right, but alot of people would see this like....
"Oh WOW 7000mbps that must be uber fast" yes it is very fast (its just the 7000 figure can be a bit deceiving) , 7000mbps translates to 700Kb/s, just knock off the last digit when speed is measured in mbps. Then that translates into the actual download speed figure that you will get when downloading a file as it is always measured in kb/s, but when you go over 1024Kb/s it turns into 1Mb/s.

Speed tests taken from http://www.speedtest.net/ are measured in mbps

Hope that wasnt too confusing for you :D

EDIT:

3000kbps = 300Kb/s

As i said before When you are downloading stuff using the Windows operating system it is always measured in Kb/s.

Thanks Patrick
Retired moderator - please do not PM details to me, as I will not be able to respond.
View more options
Poster
Okay, just to clarify, i have been getting 50 - 80 KB/S . Im pretty sure there is a problem now :) I sent val my home phone number to check on my service.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Okay, just to clarify, i have been getting 50 - 80 KB/S . Im pretty sure there is a problem now :) I sent val my home phone number to check on my service.

Hi rawr

We're currrently looking into this for you,

There was also another customer who was getting slow speeds https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/939-vodafone-at-home-speed/

Can you give these fixes I suggested a try in the meantime?
Retired moderator - please do not PM details to me, as I will not be able to respond.
View more options
Poster

Hi rawr

We're currrently looking into this for you,

There was also another customer who was getting slow speeds https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/939-vodafone-at-home-speed/

Can you give these fixes I suggested a try in the meantime?

I gave all the fixes a try , but none seemed to work :(
Is there any extra details you want me to provide that ill help you?
Thank you for your time.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

I gave all the fixes a try, but none seemed to work :(
Is there any extra details you want me to provide that ill help you?
Thank you for your time.

Hi rawr

Just PM me your landline number with the issue in the title bar, eg slow speeds and all relevant info you can think of.

Thanks
View more options
Poster
Just to clarify on this point. 7.6Mbps does not translate into 760KB/s and it is not just as simple as knocking off the last zero to go from bits to bytes.

1Mbps = 1,000,000bps, so 7.6Mbps = 7,600,000bps. To go from bits to bytes you need to divide by 8, as there are 8bits in 1byte. So, if you are talking about the speed in terms of bytes, 7600000/8 = 950KB/s

Also the units are not exactly as below. When you are talking about bits, the units are G/M/K/bps. e.g. 7.6Mbps
But when you are talking about data volumes, it is referred to in terms of bytes. When you are quoting units, bytes are expressed with a capital B to differentiate from bits i.e. G/M/kB. e.g. 950KB/s

To clarify on this, which is stated on the vodafone website, and many other broadband providers.

7.6mb = 760Kb/s , 3mb = 300Kb/s
Often broadband providers show this figure as 7000mbps which is correct in its own right, but alot of people would see this like....
"Oh WOW 7000mbps that must be uber fast" yes it is very fast (its just the 7000 figure can be a bit deceiving) , 7000mbps translates to 700Kb/s, just knock off the last digit when speed is measured in mbps. Then that translates into the actual download speed figure that you will get when downloading a file as it is always measured in kb/s, but when you go over 1024Kb/s it turns into 1Mb/s.

Speed tests taken from http://www.speedtest.net/ are measured in mbps

Hope that wasnt too confusing for you :D

EDIT:

3000kbps = 300Kb/s

View more options
Poster
Val from vodafone is already working on it so i suppose i might not need your help paul, but thanks anyway.
View more options
Poster
You last heard from me before this complaining about low speeds. Recently, i lost all connection, and couldn't access any website. Now i am back online after calling the vodafone support team, But im getting even lower speeds of 20-40 kb/s.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Rawr,

Paul said that you have sent a PM to him & he is looking into this for you.
Gazz

Vodafone View team.
Not a Vodafone customer yet? Talk to Vodafone on Boards.ie
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up