Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Fixed Service Packages & Plans

Moved from BT to vodafone - download speeds v slow

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster
As in the description: moved from BT to Vodafone last week. I should be getting up to 3mb, same as what I had at BT but am not getting any where near that. Jeez, watching youtube is a painful experience :angry: Only getting on average 50 - 60kB/sec. I used to get 250-300kB/sec with BT.
How can my Broadband have degraded so much? I used to be able to download a 300MB file in 30minutes, now it takes up to 5 hours, I have to leave it over night.
View more options
2 REPLIES 2
Moderator (Retired)
Can you private message me your landline number margesimpson and I'll look into this for you?

Paul.
Vodafone Community Manager
Learn all about our new forum, right here .
Click here for our Service Charter.
If I've requested details via a Private Message, please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, unrequested PMs may not be answered.
View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Margesimpson,
The instructions below cover manually assigning the DNS gateways, which should improve your speed.
Click Start, open the Control Panel. If it says "Pick a category" at the top, click the "Switch to Classic view" link in the top-left of the window. Click Network Connections. Ignore anything in the Dialup or Broadband sections - the connection to your modem or router will be in LAN or high-speed Internet.

First, check for icons that are marked as "Disabled". Generally, nothing should be disabled - right-click on any item that's disabled and select Enable. Ignore any item called 1394 Connection (that's your Firewire port) and - unless you're configuring a wireless router - you can also ignore any Wireless Network Connections. There will generally only be a Local Area Connection remaining; this will be the connection to your modem/router.

Right-click on the icon and select Properties. On the General tab, click the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) component (you'll find it in the list in the top half of the window) and click the Properties button.

On the new window that opens, ensure that Obtain an IP address automatically is selected. In the bottom half of this window, select the Use the following DNS server addresses: option, then enter the Vodafone DNS gateways into the boxes below:

Preferred DNS Server: 89.19.64.164
Alternate DNS Server: 89.19.64.36

Click OK, then close all other windows and exit out of any programs you have running. Open Internet Explorer (or any other Internet application); you should now be able to connect at faster speeds.

Thanks!
Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up