Support:

Email & Messaging

Search in Community:
Poster

Viber stopped working on Vodafone 3G

Hi,
Has Vodafone barred the use of Viber as it was working up to the start of the week, but now not :angry: All other services such as Gmail, hotmail auto loading of messages work and Viber works when connected to an O2 3G wireless router!
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Topics: 28
Kudos: 470
Solutions: 363

Re:Viber stopped working on Vodafone 3G

Hi,
Has Vodafone barred the use of Viber as it was working up to the start of the week, but now not :angry: All other services such as Gmail, hotmail auto loading of messages work and Viber works when connected to an O2 3G wireless router!

Hiya,
Which device are you using to connect, and do you have the VOIP/P2P add on that covers the use of services such as Viber?

Thanks,
Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 2 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

That seems to be the case as confirmed by Viber and I have just been off the phone to a vodafone customer service person who was absolutely rude to me over the phone stating that this is not the case. All I was stating were FACTS!!!....
If there is anyone out there who values Vodafone customers, would you please look into the matter and provide us with a decent explanation as to why only vodafone customers are now not being able to use Viber. On the contrary to your customer care service agent, we are not using Viber for free: we are paying a monthly connection free which includes 3G connection.

Hi,
Message 3 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

That seems to be the case as confirmed by Viber and I have just been off the phone to a vodafone customer service person who was absolutely rude to me over the phone stating that this is not the case. All I was stating were FACTS!!!....
If there is anyone out there who values Vodafone customers, would you please look into the matter and provide us with a decent explanation as to why only vodafone customers are now not being able to use Viber. On the contrary to your customer care service agent, we are not using Viber for free: we are paying a monthly connection free which includes 3G connection.

Hiya,
Which device are you using to connect, and do you have the VOIP/P2P add on that covers the use of services such as Viber?

Thanks,
Message 4 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

Hiya,

Thanks,

I'm using an O2 Wireless router which allows me to use Viber no problem..... I have had the same IPhone for the last 2 years on pay as you go with 3G and have had no problem up until the last week or so. Nothing has chnaged in my set up.... I have even reinstalled Viber and still not working. AS soon as I get a WIFI connection all woprks OK, so the only thing stopping me when using the 3G network must be the service provider, i.e. yourselves ????
Message 5 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

I found this on the Viber support website:

* Service provider issues:

Please check with your carrier if they have blocked certain applications from connecting through their 3G network. It is a known issue that some Viber users cannot connect through 3G network and in some cases have verified that this is due to network blockage on their carrier’s side. If this is the case, then unfortunately, Viber will not be able to bypass your carrier's network blockage. It is in your carrier’s decision which applications they wish to provide or block network availability. This also goes for other blocked applications, such as Viber that cannot connect through 3G. No worries though – simply use your Wifi as an alternative connection :)

COME ON VODAFONE, SORT IT OUT OR I'M OFF TO O2 WHERE THEY HAVE NO RESTRICTIONS !!!!!
Message 6 of 52 (53,221 Views)

I'm using an O2 Wireless router which allows me to use Viber no problem..... I have had the same IPhone for the last 2 years on pay as you go with 3G and have had no problem up until the last week or so. Nothing has chnaged in my set up.... I have even reinstalled Viber and still not working. AS soon as I get a WIFI connection all woprks OK, so the only thing stopping me when using the 3G network must be the service provider, i.e. yourselves ????

Hi there,
If you're on PAYG - the service doesn't support VOIP connections, relevant section of the TS and Cs below (emphasis mine):

Vodafone continuously monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by customers is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g . large bandwidths over long periods or exceptionally high call volumes). Any such high-demand users can expect to experience reduced speeds at peak times .Peak times are subject to ongoing change based on actual network demands. This service does not support ‘calls over the internet' or data sharing. If you want to use data services like making calls over the internet or sharing data files over the internet you should choose a tailored data tariff or add-on.

Thanks,
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 7 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

Im sorry Sir, but you dont seem to be answering to the actual problem. Issue is that Vodafone customers are not being able to use Viber. Question to you please, with all due respect: "Has Vodafone blocked the use of Viber from its customers, using 3G?"

If that's the case, kindly please let your valued customers know ASAP, as we will switch over to a different network where there are no restrictions, a network that can meet our needs.

Regards.

Hi there,
If you're on PAYG - the service doesn't support VOIP connections, relevant section of the TS and Cs below (emphasis mine):

Thanks,
Message 8 of 52 (53,221 Views)

Im sorry Sir, but you dont seem to be answering to the actual problem. Issue is that Vodafone customers are not being able to use Viber. Question to you please, with all due respect: "Has Vodafone blocked the use of Viber from its customers, using 3G?"

If that's the case, kindly please let your valued customers know ASAP, as we will switch over to a different network where there are no restrictions, a network that can meet our needs.

Regards.

Hiya,

I'm not aware of any recent changes to the service itself to disable VOIP, but the possibility is in line with the terms of service which call out these services as unsupported - i.e, they are not guaranteed to work.
Message 9 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

Hi,

I'm suffering from the same issue in the last week - terribly frustrating! My 3G speed is fine and have used Viber in my workplace before (3G). It is a bit suspicious -this has block written all over it. Just logged a ticket with iPhone support on 1740. I was told that VOIP IS supported/included in my plan meaning that I am paying for a service and not getting it. This is infuriating as it causing a great inconvenience to me and incurring in costs.

I have been given a 48 hour wait for a response. I'll let you know what the outcome is.
Message 10 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

I would appreciate it, if you are not aware of any recent changes, that you could enquire with the respective department as to why only Vodafone customers are not being able to use Viber anymore. You mentioned that these services could be unsupported: can you please give a reason as to why, because by all means it does not make sense.

I am already paying you a monthly fee which includes 3G connection, hence im not using Viber for free through your network, again I am PAYING you for this service. If you could please let me know ASAP, as if your network cannot provide me with this service I am switching to different network which can meet my needs and I am very sure that many others will follow.

Hiya,

I'm not aware of any recent changes to the service itself to disable VOIP, but the possibility is in line with the terms of service which call out these services as unsupported - i.e, they are not guaranteed to work.
Message 11 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

Vodafone have blocked it as far as I am concerned...they want to sell me an add on to use it!!!!! I have 1GB of data on my package and the only thing I use it for is Viber.... I am going to COMREG with this....Vodafone cannot dictate the apps which I can use my data for!! surely that cannot be legal...I use viber every day until it stopped working this week...I have been onto Customer care...I have been with Voda for 14 years....some service....I am now waiting on a manager to cancel my contract with them...
Message 12 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

Shocking silence on behalf of Vodafone - very quiet once the thread turned a bit ugly
Message 13 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

And I have been with them for 12 years!!!.....Indeed some service!....If all of this is true, then this is totally inappropriate and does not appear to be legal at all, therefore the next step would be to bring it to the attention of an authority that can help resolve this insane situation. For now, I am working towards canceling my contract with vodafone once and for all!!!!!!!!

Vodafone have blocked it as far as I am concerned...they want to sell me an add on to use it!!!!! I have 1GB of data on my package and the only thing I use it for is Viber.... I am going to COMREG with this....Vodafone cannot dictate the apps which I can use my data for!! surely that cannot be legal...I use viber every day until it stopped working this week...I have been onto Customer care...I have been with Voda for 14 years....some service....I am now waiting on a manager to cancel my contract with them...
Message 14 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

I have submitted a complaint to COMREG on this, no response from them at all. I am still waiting on a manager to call me...and they have refused to cancel my DD!!! They had the cheek to close the case opened when I contacted the technical team and tell me on the phone it was resolved...all i keep getting from the CS staff is that I need an add-on which i did not require for the past 3 months and I use viber every day!!! It worked fine on 3G voda network until this week!!!!
Anyone from Vodafone willing to respond or call back customers??? Lets see....
Message 15 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056396297
Boards thread on the same issue!!
Message 16 of 52 (53,221 Views)

http://www.boards.ie...hp?t=2056396297
Boards thread on the same issue!!

Hiya folks,
If you're billpay customers , could you please email me the make and model of your phone , your package plan and your mobile number?

Thanks,
Message 17 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

I am having the same problem with Viber on my IPhone 3GS. (Perfect Choice 300 billpay)

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Viber twice but it won't even pick up my contacts until I am in a WIFI area.

I was just speaking to Customer Service and they said that Viber is a third party application so it has nothing to do with them. I find this highly suspicious as Viber is the only affected application and friends on other networks are not having the same problem. It is very specific to Vodafone and the problem seems to have started for everyone at the same time.

It is also highly suspicious that when I phoned to ask Customer Service about this issue they tried to upsell me to a new, more expensive plan which includes 500 international minutes and texts.

Really Vodafone? A bit obvious no?
Message 18 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

I am having the same problem with Viber on my IPhone 3GS. (Perfect Choice 300 billpay)

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Viber twice but it won't even pick up my contacts until I am in a WIFI area.

I was just speaking to Customer Service and they said that Viber is a third party application so it has nothing to do with them. I find this highly suspicious as Viber is the only affected application and friends on other networks are not having the same problem. It is very specific to Vodafone and the problem seems to have started for everyone at the same time.

It is also highly suspicious that when I phoned to ask Customer Service about this issue they tried to upsell me to a new, more expensive plan which includes 500 international minutes and texts.

Hi
I also rang them...its not a third party application problem if no other network are experiencing the same problems. It is only on the Vodafone 3G network that this is a problem and by logical reasoning this means that the problem is with their 3G, something has happened this week (I suspect a block!!) to prevent Viber working on Vodafone 3G eventhough it has worked fine for the past 3 months...I used it every day! A manager told me yesterday from Voda that they are looking into this technical issue...and also tried to upsell an add-on to me!!
Message 19 of 52 (53,221 Views)
Poster

Hi Dawnymac,

If you're having this issue on your billpay phone, could you drop Daz an email with the info he needs as per his post above?

Cheers,
Joe.
Message 20 of 52 (53,221 Views)