Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Responses may be delayed through this channel. To ensure the fastest response to your query, please click here and select your service type, to speak with our live chat team.
Close announcement

Android Devices

eircom email on htc desire hd

SOLVED
View solved solution
Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster
Hi,

I have purchased a HTC Desire HD mobile phone. Vodafone is my service provider. I tried to set up my eircom email account on the phone but I am having some problems. I can receive emails but not send them. The settings that I have entered into the phone are:

Incoming settings:
Protocol - POP
POP Server - webmail.eircom.net
Security - none
server port - 110

Outgoing server settings:
SMTP server - mail1.eircom.net
Security type - SSL
Server port - 25

The error message that I am receiving is:
"cannot connect to the mail server to verify your account information. Your server is not responding".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joe
View more options
22 REPLIES 22
Poster
You could try this, click on the link below to follow Instruction, hopefully this work for you.
http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/5975-desire-eircom-email-settings/page__view__findpost__p__36863
View more options
Poster
Hi renok,

I tried that solution but it did not work. I am still getting an error saying that "cannot connect to the mail server to verify your account information. Your server is not responding".

Thanks anyway. Any other ideas?

Joe
View more options
Moderator (Retired)
Hi guys

Eircom have advised that their addresses may not function on handset clients. Having said that, I believe it is possible to set up.

It may be worth your while contacting eircom to verify their servers Joelad
Retired moderator - please do not PM details to me, as I will not be able to respond.
View more options
Highlighted
Poster

Hi guys

Eircom have advised that their addresses may not function on handset clients. Having said that, I believe it is possible to set up.

It may be worth your while contacting eircom to verify their servers Joelad
View more options
Poster
I have checked the eircom website and the settings are as below:

Incoming server - webmail.eircom.net
Outgoing server - mail1.eircom.net

However they state that if you are not using an eircom.net connection you must use your internet providers own smpt server.

Regards,
Joe
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

I have checked the eircom website and the settings are as below:

Incoming server - webmail.eircom.net
Outgoing server - mail1.eircom.net

However they state that if you are not using an eircom.net connection you must use your internet providers own smpt server.

Regards,
Joe

Hi joe

When you replace the outgoing mail server with mail.vodafone.ie, what happens?
Retired moderator - please do not PM details to me, as I will not be able to respond.
View more options
Poster

Hi joe

When you replace the outgoing mail server with mail.vodafone.ie, what happens?
View more options
Poster
Hi Paul,
When I add in mail.Vodafone.ie I get the message:
"Cannot connect to the mail server to verify your account information. Your server is not responding."
I have tried with and without security, on ports 465 and 25. Still not working.
Anything else that I can try?
Regards,
Joe
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Paul,
When I add in mail.Vodafone.ie I get the message:
"Cannot connect to the mail server to verify your account information. Your server is not responding."
I have tried with and without security, on ports 465 and 25. Still not working.
Anything else that I can try?
Regards,
Joe

Hi joe

I've leave this thread open if any body has any suggestions
View more options
Poster

Hi joe

I've leave this thread open if any body has any suggestions

Goto Market install K-9 Mail
Then run it - wizard starts

Enter email address xxx@eircom.net
Enter pw

Incoming
Choose IMAP4 (This downloads your email (and folders if you have them set up) and leaves copy on webmail server. POP3 only pulls down email from root of webmail account. Also IMAP4 will delete from server if you delete from phone and save copy in your sent items on the Eircom server if you reply ;-) - POP3 won't.
IMAP server - webmail.eircom.net
Choose TLS (if available)

Outgoing
Mail.vodafone.ie
TLS (if available)
Untick Sign in

Give the Account a name and set your Name seen on outgoing emails. Set on demand/push or manual update options.

That's it!

You can mess with the settings in K-9 (there's loads...) to configure until your hearts content.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Outgoing
Mail.vodafone.ie
TLS (if available)
Untick Sign in

Give the Account a name and set your Name seen on outgoing emails. Set on demand/push or manual update options.

That's it!

You can mess with the settings in K-9 (there's loads...) to configure until your hearts content.

great post
View more options
Poster

great post

Thanks! You can just use the standard email app on the HD for Eircom (use port 25 for vodafone outgoing) but I think the K-9 email client is nicer.
View more options
Poster

great post

Thanks MBSnr,

I downloaded the K-9 App and followed your instructions but I am still getting the following message:

Cannot connect to server. Unable to connect to SMTP server.

I am sure that it is just me doing something silly, but it can be frustrating! Any suggestions?

Regards,
Joe
View more options
Poster

Thanks MBSnr,

I downloaded the K-9 App and followed your instructions but I am still getting the following message:

Cannot connect to server. Unable to connect to SMTP server.

I am sure that it is just me doing something silly, but it can be frustrating! Any suggestions?

Regards,
Joe

Hmmm - sounds strange alright. You're definitely unticking the "sign in" check box so that it isn't prompting for an outgoing username/password? If so, then the only thing I can think is I'm on a business data plan, so perhaps there's a limitation connecting to that outgoing SMTP server for your SIM/data plan? The guys from Vodafone might be able to answer that.

Regards
View more options
Poster

I have k-9 downloaded and can receive e-mails from my eircom e-mail but it won't send any for me.  I've tried mail1.eircom.net and mail.vodafone.ie with security none and security ssl/tts with wifi on and off and mixed permutations to no effect. Has anyone managed to send e-mail using the vodafone network and an eircom e-mail address

View more options
Valued Poster
Hi there,

Are you using the stock email app?
Sadiq Redmond,

Welcome to Vodafone and the eForum.
Please set up a thread if you need help with a query. Did I help you with your query? Then Please Click the Thumbs Up Button and Solution Solved As Helping You Can Help Others. - Owner of: iPhone 4s/5/5s /Blackberry Q10/Curve 9320/Vodafone Smart 1 and Samsung Galaxy S3. Don't PM Me Personal Details. And Yes I'm a Astronomer and a Physicist
View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hmmmm... could you try mail.iol.ie?

Thanks,

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Contributor

you could just access the eircom account thru the eircom page in your browser???

not what you want to do but set up a gmail accound and when on a pc set eircom account to forward the mails to gmail, or you could try and get gmail to retreve mails from eircom. 

View more options
Valued Poster

hi, I have eircom mail and it works fine. Try this:

change the outgoing server to mail2.eircom.net and where it says "login required", make sure its not ticked. once I did that, it worked again. 

Sometimes that outgoing server name has to be changed depending if your on wifi or mobile network. its just how the eircom thing works. But just make sure the login required is not ticked. 

hope this helps

Chimo

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up