Welcome to the Vodafone Community!
Close announcement

Android Devices

Transfer phone number to new sim while abroad

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster

Hi all

I wonder if you can help me out. My brother bought me a new phone from Ireland for my birthday, as my old phone was failing; however, the sim card from my old phone did not fit the new phone and so he got me a new sim from Ireland and sent it to me here in Spain, where I currently live with my wife, who is from here. The problem is I cannot travel all the way to Ireland just to go to a Vodafone store. I have visited my local Spanish Vodafone store and they say they can't transfer my phone number on to my new sim card because they are a different store and have different policies as those that woud be in Ireland; also, they only deal with Spanish phone numbers. I would like to keep my old phone number as I have had it for many years and all my family and friends have this number. Besides, my wife and I plan to go back to live in Ireland in the future. I am a Vodafone Ready-to-Go customer and I don't know if this is a problem in transfering my number onto my new sim card. I would be very grateful if you could help me out.

Kind regards

View more options
7 REPLIES
Contributor

You just need to register your new sim, see the webpage here

https://www.vodafone.ie/support/welcome --> 

Activate your Pay as you go sim

View more options
Community Expert
Sims must be activated in their home country first before being used abroad. He's have to get a new sim. Activate it here with your number then post it out to you.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Contributor

Or chance getting your existing sim card cut abroad

View more options
Contributor
View more options

Hi there,

If you require a new SIM card but you're currently not in the Republic of Ireland, you can have a friend or family member pick up a blank SIM card from their nearest Vodafone store free of charge and then have this posted to you. As your new SIM card would need to be activated in the Republic of Ireland, you will need to ask your friend or family member to provide you with the SIM card number (this is the long number printed on the SIM card) prior to posting, when you have received this SIM number, simply get in touch with us here and we can have this activated for you - please note that your old SIM card will deactivate once this is done.

Thanks,

Ashling

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Poster

My brother did go to the Vodafone store on Henry Street Dublin and got the Sim Card that I now have. He did offer to give my old sim card number to the Vodafone representative in the store who told him he could neither transfer my number nor activate the card without me being their in person. 

I have just had a Vodafone live chat with Gautum and I provided him with both sim card numbers but as of yet the sim card is not activated.

It is unreasonable to expect me to spend over €100 to travel to Ireland  and back to spain to have my sim card actived considering the technological age we live in and the EU Free movement policies. Besides I have seen on previous threads (albeit they were in Ireland) where the individuals could have their information transfered.

Kind regards

View more options
Highlighted
Poster

I talked to Willis on Vodafone Live Chat and he transfered  my phone number to my new Sim card and activated it. Thanks billbond4 for your help

Kind regards

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up