Support:

Android Devices

Search in Community:
Topics: 54
Kudos: 994
Solutions: 169

Re: Samsung video calls on Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Each device differs by carrier options and specifications. Best off just using as third party video calling app like skype, google duo or whatsapp.

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S8 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 21 of 39 (659 Views)
Poster

Posted from Samsung SM-G930F
When third party is used you need internet connection 4g or wifi in order to use it. But VideoCall counts as normal phone call you can make in many places and any time. And why should people use third party app when your phone as by manual shows you can call direct from your phone no apps need it. Why to have it in manuals then? Where is logic in that. So dissapointed with Vodafone be honest. They should fix that i personally think. Im on red connect bill pay and paying 60 euro a month that not taking in the count my extras. Unlimited call and txt to any netwotk. S7 No video call option . Yet my partner on prepay 20 euro same mins and txt with vodafone S5 and he can make video calls to me and other people.
Message 22 of 39 (649 Views)

That is not correct as samsung video call uses data whether on WIfi or your network just like Skype etc..

If you wanted a pure samsung device then you could have bought it sim free although the cost initially would have been higher.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S8 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
Message 23 of 39 (645 Views)

Hi there,

Unfortunately, as I have stated in my previous post, this was a business decision to switch this functionality off, I can however, ask our technical support team to check the RCS status of your SIM card? this will allow you to make video calls but only to other RCS provisioned devices, whether that be a Samsung or other manufacturers' devices.

Thanks,
Ashling

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 24 of 39 (642 Views)
Poster

Posted from Samsung SM-G930F
Hi Ashling i would like that thanks.

Hi Cookie20, if it is using data as you say i would like to know how my partner can make it if his mobile data is off and wifi off as well. What is in use then?
Message 25 of 39 (636 Views)

Hi there,

Our technical support team have advised that video calling is currently active on your account, you will need to connect your handset to the internet in order to achieve your video call.

Thanks,

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 26 of 39 (633 Views)

[ Edited ]

AnastasiaBagina wrote:
Hi Ashling i would like that thanks.

Hi Cookie20, if it is using data as you say i would like to know how my partner can make it if his mobile data is off and wifi off as well. What is in use then?

If it's a voice call then it's just using your phone minutes but if it's a video call then it has to use data and must communicate via wifi or network. There's no other way for it to work.

Actually you're correct it "should work" but you need 3G enabled sim and it seems to go over the network as a voice call (therefore using minutes) which is why I suspect the networks have disabled it as it doesnt use data per say. It's called 3G-324M video calling and the video call is placed and billed as telephony as in it is not done over 3G or WiFi Data.

Anyway as I mentioned unbfortunately Vodafone dont allow the devices they sell to do this and wont enable it either.

Cookie
Message 27 of 39 (630 Views)
Poster

Posted from Samsung SM-G935F
Hi, can I ask of the same please. Will you check the status of my sim for RCS?
Message 28 of 39 (610 Views)

Hi there,

If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, I can look into this for you?

Mobile number:

Address:

Date of birth:

Link to your thread or post:

Thanks,

Ashling

Message 29 of 39 (590 Views)
Poster

PM Sent Ashling.

Thanks Again.

Message 30 of 39 (585 Views)
Frequent Poster

Is there any chance of getting this sorted? It's clearly a vodafone issue.
Message 31 of 39 (569 Views)

Hi there,

As I have mentioned in my previous post, this was a business decision made by Vodafone to turn this functionality off, unfortunately I am unable to offer any further assistance on this matter.

Thanks,

Ashling

Message 32 of 39 (568 Views)
Poster

Ashling did vodafone have this advertised anywhere in the fine print, that they were cancelling this feature on the S7 and S7 Edge. When you decide to upgrade your phone you expect the new device to have the same features as the old one plus any new software developments. You do not expect your carrier to remove/not provide advertised handset features. When upgrading we should have been advised it would not be available. Personally I upgraded from an S5 that had this function and when doing my research on upgrading, Samsung showed the function would still be available on the S7 edge. I do not remember anywhere vodafone showing they would not be providing it.
Message 33 of 39 (548 Views)

[ Edited ]

Network sold phones always have differences such as background splash screens with their logo, slower updates to the OS and altered functionality. Not to mention the phone will be locked to a network. This is nothing new. If you want a purists phone you should always buy sim free. Or you can always root your phone and install your choice of rom.

Cookie
Message 34 of 39 (545 Views)
Poster

Hi Cookie,

I,m well aware that carriers put their own aesthetics on their network locked devices.

My issue is when the carrier decides to remove handset features without notifying us before we upgrade.

If I had been made aware of this before upgrading then I would have considered the sim free route.

I,m now in another 24 month contract where non voda S7 and S7 edge customers have this feature that Vodafone decided not to allow.  

Message 35 of 39 (535 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

But by buying a carrier phone you run the risk of getting their version of the samsung (or what ever maker) phone.

You're correct the non vodafone customers/non network bought phones do have this feature but they bought sim free devices (or are on networks in other jurisdictions which did not block the feature) but this is not violating some customer rights. It's like saying I cant get 4G+ because my network wont give it to me despite the fact that my phone can use it.

And finally they call this out in their T&C's which you agree to when you buy the product:

You acknowledge that certain Selected Products or some functionality of Selected Products (e.g. accessing Vodafone Mail/ EmailAnywhere over the internet) may not be available to You in the event that You are denied access or are unable to access Your Equipment and/or the internet. Vodafone shall not be responsible for Your inability to use the Selected Products in these circumstances. You acknowledge that access to certain Selected Products is dependent on the connectivity of Your Equipment to either the internet or the Vodafone Network and that this connectivity is dependent on factors outside of Vodafone’s control.

http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/services/

You have to remember they haven't disabled the calculator (or other isolated app/function) they've disabled a service which requires access to their network.

Cookie
Message 36 of 39 (530 Views)

Very well explained Cookie, If you require any further information, please get in touch.

Thanks,

Ashling

Message 37 of 39 (512 Views)
Frequent Poster

Posted from Android 2.0
I think it's fair to say that this advice is useless and contradictory. With respect Ashling you are telling customers on this forum that their phones are set up for video calls then saying that the function is switched off. So exactly which is It? Do you not agree that paying customers locked into 24 month contracts deserve an honest answer?

Also Cookie you say if you want a purist phone you should buy SIM free. This is a misleading statement. Like I said in my first post I have personally made a video call on a Samsung S7 Edge locked to the Three network. If Three can offer this function what is Vodafones problem with It?
Message 38 of 39 (417 Views)

Posted from Android 2.0
Yes and as I mentioned networks modify their devices in different ways. My point on sim free phones being the purists version still stands.
Cookie
Message 39 of 39 (412 Views)