Android Devices

My Vodafone App

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Frequent Poster

This morning I received a text from Vodafone telling me of an offer, exclusive to My Vodafone App users, where I could avail of €5 extra credit if I topped up by €20.

I called Customer Service, telling them I can't use the App, because my phone is Android 5.1.1, only to be told my phone is the problem, that the App works perfectly on all Android phones. I was told to get my phone checked out, and my sim too. I made the journey to a Vodafone store, where my phone and sim were checked out, and found to have nothing wrong. The sales assistant downloaded the App, and it didn't work. The assistant said it would be reported. That's it!

The phone is new, I bought it from Vodafone the end of November last. I said to the sales assistant, "How lucky the My Vodafone App users must be, as they get offers that the rest of us will never get". I also said "Had I known about this last November, I would never have purchased an Android 5.1.1 phone, but no one in the Vodafone store said anything about it".

I feel I have been conned. Everyone in Vodafone are still saying how sorry they are, but that it's "still my phone that's the problem". It's a Samsung J3 2016, and it's three months old. I look after it impeccably.

But they keep throwing a fault that lies squarley with them, back on the user.

View more options
32 REPLIES
Community Expert
That device is up-gradable to marshmallow (6) and nougat (7). Are you sure there are no software updates listed for it if you check for them?
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Frequent Poster

The phone tells me I have the current version. So any update to 6 or 7 would have to be done manually?

View more options
Community Expert

Hang on - what?

Sorry but the onus is on you the user to make yourself aware of such things. Their job was to sell you a phone.

Likewise, although i say fair play to them for trying to get it working for you, really you should be reaching out to app support or tech support to determine if the app is compatible with your version of Android. Again, this would not be something the in store sales teams would be too fimiliar with. 

If your phone is on 5.1, and the Vodafone app is supported only on later versions, then your phone is indeed the problem no? 

They have an offer for users of the app. You have a device that doesnt support the app. How is this their fault?

In such a case. what would you have them do? 

Had i known when i purchased my first S7 edge two years ago that i was going to drop and destroy it within 3 weeks, i might have done things differently too. Nobody in the store mentioned anything about the phone shattering if dropped, yet there i was with a shattered device.

I am not sure what you expected them to do instore exactly, sit you down and go through all the details of the OS, what apps are currently supported and not supported, what apps may not be supported later in the lifecycle etc?

Its on the user to ask these questions - not the staff to sit you down.

The amount of times someone on these forums has suggested the staff should have said this or the staff should have said that is just comical.

If we were to put it all together, buying a phone would be a 3 day ordeal where you would receive the phone at the end of the 3 days after passing a test ensuring you understand everything covered.

You say Vodafone throws the fault back at the user, but where is the fault on Vodafones part here? As best i can tell, you want to use an app that is not supported by the current version of Android your device is on.

Now all this is of course assming the app doesnt support anything 5.1 or older - i honestly have no idea what the current requirements for the app are.

As Cookie mentioned though, it may indeed be possible to update your device manually, and without breaking warrenty in any way.

I would be happy to look into that for you if you are confortable flashing an offical version to the device.

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Frequent Poster

Who would buy a computer with an outdated Operating System? Why should it be any different with a phone?

View more options
Community Expert
Yes but you can update the OS (and there are many PC's/Macs with older versions) on computers just like phones.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Community Expert

@Fedup2wrote:

Who would buy a computer with an outdated Operating System? Why should it be any different with a phone?

That is hardly comparing like for like.

Let me use my S7 edge as an example again - i am still in live with it, it is super fast and honestly has never given me any issue.

With the S9 now coming out, my S7 is going on two years old.

Samsung, like most others, provides OS updates for about 2 years, so i may just receive Oreo on it - if i am lucky, but that will be the end of it.

If someone buys an S7 in a shop next year, the OS will be Oreo - thats how the world of smartphones work. If will never see Android 9 or 10 etc.

If you were to buy that S7, your phone would work flawlessly as it was optomiosed for Oreo. But, somewhere down the line, you may encounter apps no longer supporting that version of the OS as they make use of resources not found in it.

Phone manufactures cannot keep updating their back catalog of phones to each new version as the resources required would be too much.

Instead, they put their resources into supporting phones released in the last two years.

Its just how smartphone update cycles work.

It doesnt fall to the Staff of a phone store to have to know and tell you all of this. In fact, the average customer would have no idea what the **bleep** they were even on about. 

You are responsible for doing a little leg work in this regard. Or had you asked the staff i am sure they could have found that information for you. 

What i am saying is you cannot expect staff to sit you down and run through every possible variable with you - there are just not enough hours in the day - the onus is on you to ask them iany questions you may have as they have no idea what you will be doing with the device, what apps you may want to use etc.

Its up to you to know what you want and what you want it for so rather than saying "the staff should have" i would say "you should have".

This by the way is not limited to Vodafone stores, buy a phone anywhere and find the same result. 

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert

@cookie20wrote:
Yes but you can update the OS (and there are many PC's/Macs with older versions) on computers just like phones.

Indeed - the latest machines we got in at work all have Windows 7 on them - our IT department made sure of it as a lot of our internal applciations do not yet play well with Windows 10.

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Frequent Poster

If the onus is on the "customer", when looking for a phone, to know exactly what phone will best suit them, and Vodafone have no responsibility whatsoever regarding any advice in that decision, then it's a very sad situation indeed.

View more options
Frequent Poster

The fact remains, there are perks, incentives and discounts being made available by Vodafone to Android 7 users which Android 5 users cannot avail of, which, by anyone's standards, is in breach of fair trading practices. 

View more options
Community Expert

Companies stop supporting apps all the time on computers and mobiles. Windows shut down it's entire mobile device division. There's no compensation when that happens. A user must make choices in their own interest. There is zero breach in consumer rights. Caveat emptor. Your phone makes and receives calls and texts and can access the internet. Just because it doesn't support every app is not a consumer rights issue. 

Cookie
View more options
Frequent Poster

There is a text message on my phone, sent Friday 2nd March which reads:

"A little surprise on us! Get €5 free credit when you top up by €20 or more, in one go, using your credit card in the My Vodafone App before 06/03/2018. Credit applied within 24hrs. Opt out call 1800200234."

I just spoke to a Vodafone PAYG agent, and they are querying the validity of the text message. I have agreed to send screenshots to an email address.

This is and has been my experience with Vodafone. They throw everything back at you. Nothing you say to them is believed. I received a similar text Monday 5th March as way of reminder. But I can't access that offer, as I can't access the My Vodafone App, because I have an Android 5 phone.

View more options
Community Expert

@Fedup2wrote:

If the onus is on the "customer", when looking for a phone, to know exactly what phone will best suit them, 

Well yes - sometime people just have to take responsibility for their own actions and needs.

I will ask again what i is exactly you feel Vodafone should have done here? 

How can they know what exactly you intend to use the device for?

Can you not imagine all the possible scenarios each device might have with each and every person?

Can you not understand how long it would take to run a user through all possible scenarios?

I for one do not want to be stuck waiting behind someone in store for 5 hours while everything is explained to them.

Recently i bought a phone in Argos for my mum. Nobody in Argos explained a thing about it. The manufacturer did not ring it as soon as it was activated to run though all of this with my mum.

I made the purchase - it was my choice and it is assumed i know what i was buying. I was free to ask any questions I wanted to, but i didn’t have any as i did in fact know exactly what I was buying as I had to put a lot of thought into what would best suit my mum.

@Fedup2wrote:

and Vodafone have no responsibility whatsoever regarding any advice in that decision, then it's a very sad situation indeed.;

I find the Vodafone staff in store are great to provide advice on a purchase - the thing is, you have to actually ask them.

They are not there to impose their advice on everyone, and how could they not knowing anything about the person or the main way the device will be used.

The fact you think that you have no responsibility whatsoever in the decision of what you purchase and somehow everyone else is responsible if you made a bad choice is a very sad situation indeed.

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert

@Fedup2wrote:

The fact remains, there are perks, incentives and discounts being made available by Vodafone to Android 7 users which Android 5 users cannot avail of, which, by anyone's standards, is in breach of fair trading practices. 

How so?

• There are offers being made available to new customers that existing customers cannot avil of.
  • Offers avaialble through the website only that people who dont use the internet cannot avail of.
  • Offers to students that i cant avil of.
  • Offers to certain companys i cant avil of.
  • And - offers to users of their app that those not using it cannot avail of.

Can you further point me to which practice is being broken?

There are also certain apps that are simply not available to users below 6 or 7 - this is because everything below 6 doesnt have the requirements nesserary to run the app.

Banking apps are also moving along and every now and again an update comes along and they no longer work with previous versions as they want the app on the more recent and secure platform.

Are all of these companies also somehow breaching fair trade practices?

And if so, again i ask you to point me in the driection of said practices.

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Community Expert

@Fedup2wrote:

There is a text message on my phone, sent Friday 2nd March which reads:

"A little surprise on us! Get €5 free credit when you top up by €20 or more, in one go, using your credit card in the My Vodafone App before 06/03/2018. Credit applied within 24hrs. Opt out call 1800200234."

I just spoke to a Vodafone PAYG agent, and they are querying the validity of the text message. I have agreed to send screenshots to an email address.

This is and has been my experience with Vodafone. They throw everything back at you. Nothing you say to them is believed. I received a similar text Monday 5th March as way of reminder. But I can't access that offer, as I can't access the My Vodafone App, because I have an Android 5 phone.

Its unfortunate the person you spoke with was unaware of the offer.

I have had this in my workplace too (we have offers avaialble for different governments, companies, different by country etc so at any time we might have in excess of 20,000) and normally we would ask our customer to forward the offer to us, not because we dont beleive them, but rather that we can pass it up the chain and obtain further information to further assist.

So i don't think its a case that you were not beleived as you put it - unless you are saying they said that to you?

And ultimately, if you are unable to use the app to top up, then this is all pretty much moot.

We have similiar cases where i work where people are angry that certain offers my company runs are available online only and they dont have internet access - but it is what it is. 

Its an offer to encourage people who can access the app, to use the app.

As you are using a device not able to make use of the app, the offer does not apply to you and that is pretty much the end of the story as far as i can see.

Now, with that all said - i took a step here you failed to and actually checked what exactly is supported by the app - as you can see below it does support 5.0 and higher, so this then circles back to a potential issue with your handset, which i beleive you were originally advised by the Vodafone staff instore

androd.jpg

• Does the app install correctly on your device?
  • Is it currently installed?
  • If so, have you tried to clear its data and log in again
  • If so, have you removed and reinstalled?
  • Are you doing all this on mobile data or wifi?

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Frequent Poster

When the Android version of a phone determines whether a Vodafone customer has access to perks, special offers, competitions or not, there is something fundamentally wrong.

View more options
Community Expert

@Fedup2wrote:

When the Android version of a phone determines whether a Vodafone customer has access to perks, special offers, competitions or not, there is something fundamentally wrong.

Why?

You keep making these sweeping statements but fail to actually make a point.

What is fundamentally wrong with promotions through specific channels? That not everyone can take advantage of it? 

Isnt that the whole point of targetted offers? 

You decide you want to try and encourage increased usage of your app - so you put a little money aside, and you run a promotion to encourage it for a limited time.

Nothing wrong with that at all - welcome to the world of marketting - this is nothing new and is something we see on a daily basis.

Another example, Supervalue had an offer two weeks ago in store.

I wasnt in a positon to make it to the store during the offer.

Should i now be mad and blame Supervalue that i wasnt able to take advantage of the promotion and tell them they are in breach of fair trade practices because it was only avaialble to people who could make it to the store and i couldnt?

What about the really good offers for students right now? Is that not a breach as i am not a student so i cant take advantage of it?

What about users who do not use smartphones at all that dont use the internet?

Should all internet offers be removed to make it fair that they dont make use of the internet?

Is there something fundamentally wrong with offers being availabe online only when there are users with no interest of using the internet, and users who simply do not have access to the internet and do not have smartphones?

Where exactly do you draw the line here?

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Frequent Poster

The phone was examined by a Vodafone Sales Assistant in the Nutgrove Store. Both phone and sim checked out perfectly. The Assistant downloaded the App while I was there and got the same "Routine Maintenance" message trying to log in. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, without any success.

Earlier today, the Vodafone representative I spoke to said that Vodafone were aware there are issues with the App and are working to resolve those issues, but I was told that in December, last year, and again in January of this year. The Sales Assistant in Nutgrove said they were'nt even aware of any issue with the App.

Is it possible that my phone is the problem? If that's the case, why was I sent "on my way" by Vodafone Nutgrove with nothing to go on. No advice, no answers, just "we'll report it"/

View more options
Community Expert
The phone is not the problem if all other apps on it work.
Cookie
View more options
Community Expert

@Fedup2wrote:

Is it possible that my phone is the problem? If that's the case, why was I sent "on my way" by Vodafone Nutgrove with nothing to go on. No advice, no answers, just "we'll report it"/

Because they are not app developers and had to report it?

Again i ask, what exactly did you expect here?

In their eyes, the app is working for them, and not for you - so, the only thing they can do is report it.

You have to be willing to accept that your device may well be the issue. The why we need to figure out - but it could well be.

I have quite a few devices, and have not encountered any issue with the app - so if the app is currently up and running on all my devices, and my girlfriends, and maybe Cookie's is working also (Cookie can you confirm?), then it would seem the app is in fact working.

Can you confirm all permissions being asked for by the app have been granted?

Anyone reading this with a Samsung J3 that can try the app and see if it is specific to the model itself or just to this individual handset?

Would the Vodafone Mods have access to one they could test on?

digi-expert.JPG 

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up