Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Android Devices

Move current number to new SIM issue

Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster

Hi all,

Recently I've got new Galaxy mobile as upgrade and now have a problem moving my current number from my old SIM card to new mobile SIM; My impression it should take few mins but it lasting for 2 weeks;

Couple weeks ago I've poped up to local Vodafone store and they couldn't transfer my number; Then on other topic of community I've asked how to do that; One of moderators last week nicely tried to sort this out for me and even sent me a new empty SIM;

Now I've got a new SIM and tried to follow instruction on Vodifone site how activate SIM but it did not work as SIM apparently empty.  Moderator, I've contacted earlier, apparently is not available.

If other moderators can advice what should I do next? As far as I know it is possible to cut old SIM to fit  new mobile; Can Vodafone stores do that?

I don't want to change my current number, it would be headache. New mobile now actually useless for me.

Did anybody have such issue? If yes, how its been sorted?

Thanks

Mick

View more options
5 REPLIES
Community Expert

Call them on 1907. It's possible to do this automatically over the phone or by speaking with someone on the phone.

Mods wont be back until tomorrow to help. You could try live chat. To use live chat click support at the top of this page then choose the servuce you need supprot with (bill or pre pay. etc..). Click CHAT icon that pops up in the bottom right hand corner of the next screen.

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Poster

Thanks cookie20 for your feedback;

I did call Vodafone support, they gently made some efforts to transafer my number to another SIM; What they found though is my sim request is "stuck" - not sure what exactly this mean, is it techically stuck or just administrative way of handling transfers.

So whole story lasting for a month. Attempt to transfer my number to new SIM, retrieved earlier, didn't work. I've asked Vodafone to send me on another SIM but I'm not too optimistic it can do the trick . Problem is Vodafone don't tell if number transfer is doable in this case or my number stuck to current SIM forever - and if let's say I get my mobile lost, I won't be able to have my current number back.

From my perspective there are 2 ways to workaround: ask local store to cut my old SIM to fit to new handset

(not sure if it is possible or work) or - really headache but last resort - switch provider and keep the number, in this case they say number transfer would be "external" and current "stuck" request in Vodafone shouldn't be a problem.

So if anybody get a similar situation with number transfer issue, be aware you may need to make a tough choice - stick to your SIM forever if you want to keep your number or - alternatevely - periodically change your number with SIM to have some control where your number being used.

M.

View more options
Community Expert

Drop into a store and they can do it for you too. I get a new sim every year and transfer my number over. I've done it online, over the phone myself or with a Vodafone CS rep and in a store. It should be very easy to do so it must be some other issue in your case

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
View more options
Poster

I've been there twice:

First time I've been told 'system not available';

Last time I've poped up with empty SIM in my new handset, they seemengly went through the process and said number should be transfered soon (not instantly).

It was 2 weeks ago and I'm still on my old SIM (yet?) - transfer apparently didn't work Smiley Sad

View more options

Hi Mick,

Sorry for the delay. We've gone back to you by PM.

Thanks,

Liam

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up