Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Welcome to the Vodafone Community!
Close announcement

Android Devices

Faulty Samsung Galaxy S4 phone (Fonefix nightmare)

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
Products and Services FAQs

Products & Services FAQs

Poster

Hi there,

Am posting this hoping someone can help me or at least help other people in the same situation as me.

Am bill pay customer, I have a two years contract  (8 months left). I got bill plan with a Samsung galaxy S3. A fantastic phone but unfortunately was stolen 4 months ago while I was on holidays. I did not have any insurance and therefore i had to buy a new phone in order to keep going with my contract. So I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 in the Nutgrove Vodafone Shop. That was July (don't remember the date but I have my receipt) and I paid 600Euro. I tried to negotiate with Vodafone to extend my contract with them and try to get some discount. The answer was no (which is fair enough). So as I said I pay 600euro in July for the phone. 

The phone was working fine until the end of August (apart from one day rebooting itself but after that the phone was fine and I did not see this behavior for a while).

At the end of August the phone started to misbehave with the following symptoms:

-Overheating when surfing in the net and when GPS on (it gets seriously hot)

-The phone switches on and off

-The phone freezes

-Random behavior when connected to charger (original charger)

On the second of September I went to the Vodafone shop in Nutgrove where I bought the phone and they sent it to Fonefix. 8 days later I collected my phone. The FoneFix repairs report stated the following:

FoneFix report on the 6th of September 2013 (bear in mind that i did not receive my phone until the 9th of September)

"Faulty mechanical component found. Replaced mechanical component. Your handset has the latest manufacturer approved software.

Unit has been tested and meets manufacturer specifications"

As I said I collected my phone on the 9th. The phone was working fine. I tried to contact FoneFix requesting additional information regarding the "mechanical component replaced" but they came back to me stating that they are not authorized to talk to me.

The phone was working fine so I forgot about that. But on the 20th  of September (just 11 days after I collected)the same behavior again. I was on a trip, the GPS was on, the phone got quite hot and suddenly switched off. After that the same random behavior as before was seen. I did a reset on the phone to the original  factory settings but this did not help. These are the random symptoms I could see(similar than before):

-The phone could be on for 1 min or 30min and then switched off.

-The LEDs had a random behavior when charging. Sometimes when connected to the charger (original Samsung charger) it did not charge. Other times when the charger was unplugged, the LED indicates is still charging.

-The phone freezes and switched off

-The phone consumes power when switched off. For example when the battery indicates a 100% charge, it is unplugged and after 2 hours the battery is at 0%

I came back from my holiday on the 24th of September (last week) and I went straight to the Vodafone Shop in Nutgrove where I showed to them the faulty behavior of the phone switching on and off.

They sent the phone back to fonfix that day.

Yesterday(1st of October at 1pm), one week later, I got my phone back. To my surprise the FonFix repairs report stated the following:

Repair Comments:
NO FAULT FOUND 
WE HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO REPLICATE THE REPORTED FAULT
NOTE: PHONE SOAK TESTED OVER 24H AND WORKS FINE
USING 3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS MAY AFFECT THE PERFORMANCE OF 
YOUR PHONE AND CAUSE THE FAULT DESCRIBED

I was so disappointed. It did not make any sense at all. I checked the phone and was working fine... until this morning. Same behavior:

Freezes

Auto powers off and on

LED bad behavior

The phone believes is charging when is not connected

The phone is not charging when connected and so on....

I reset the phone to factory settings again (though since I collected yesterday I could only install my mail account, whassapp and the bank of Ireland app) but this did not help (again)

So it did not pass even 24 hours and I have to come back to Vodafone shop in Nutgrove (Dublin 14) again, this was today 2nd of October!!!.

The guy who dealt with me was quite embarrassed about this, he told me that it was a shame. He took pictures of the failures and confirm/verified/witness that my phone is faulty (he put that on writing) in order to send them to FonFix (again, 3rd time!!!)...

I don't know what else to do. I request a new phone because obviously Vodafone sold me a faulty phone. But they told me that because is out of 28 days guarantee the have to send it to fonefix at least 3 times....is that true?

So someone from vodafone could advice on this please? Because I paid 600euro for a faulty phone and am paying 41 euro per month for a service which is not been provided cause the replacement phones that I got are pretty bad.

Thanks

View more options
19 REPLIES
Valued Poster
Can you try doing a factory reset on the handset and reboot when complete, it usually takes a week for the phone to settle down with the battery and that, the phone will get hot due to the quad core processor onboard and the GPS unit will get hot too this is natural. If the factory reset doesn't help you can do an emergency firmware update via KIES this will bring the handset back to the origina out of the box setting from Vodafone.
The day of idiots is upon us!!!!
View more options
Poster
I already did a factory reset and reboot it several times. Also that was done by FoneFix (two times already). My phone is in the Vodafone shop again, hopefully will arrive to FonFix tomorrow.
The emergency Firmware update via Kies did not work. Yes I tried that
I understand that overheats because of the quadcore processor and the GPS but let me tell you that it gets hot as **bleep**, 53 degrees celsious measured with a Digital thermometer (tecpel 316). That's anything but normal.

Thanks for your reply but it did not help.
As I said my phone is back to Fonefix for the 3rd time in a month. It is obviously a faulty phone that they are not able to fix.
My question is simple. What happens if they can not fix it again? For how long time do I have to be with a faulty 600 euro and 3 months old phone and with a 41euro per month contract that vodafone takes every month from my account.

Thanks
View more options
Poster

Just to be clear. The problem is not solved.

Thanks

View more options
Poster

Hi there,

I have some news. As I mentioned before I collected my phone 3 days ago from the Nutgrove Vodafone shop with a "No Fault Found" stated in the repairs report. One day after I collected my phone, it wasn't working again so I returned to the shop. The symtoms are always the same. FoneFix updated the status of my phone this morning stating the following:

"Faulty Display"

How is this possible that my phone is always failing with the same symthoms and last week FoneFix repairs reports states "Not Fault Found", when it is a genuine fault and therefore I have to send it back to FoneFix the next day. And now Fonefix states that the root cause is a Faulty Display. Well, if that's the root cause of the fault they made a mistake last week when they closed the repairs job stating "Not Fault Found"

Please could someone from Vodafone advice me on this?.

If I try to request any info from FoneFix they tell me that they are not authorised to provide any details to me. See mail below from FoneFix:

Mail from FoneFix:

Hi,

Thank you for your email, we will need to refer you to the store in which you sent in your repair from, we are not authorised to provide any details to you for Data Protection as we received the repair direct from the store under their details.

The store are fully aided to look into any query for you and should it require an escalation they have escalation processes in which they can follow & update you.

Kind Regards,

If am going to the Shop they tell there is nothing they can do because is up to FonFix but if I try to contact FoneFix  they tell me that are not authorised to provide any details to me....

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya,

The way repairs work is as follows:

A phone that is repaired twice, and has a confirmed fault the third time is replaced.

A fault that is repaired, and then is confirmed to have returned will also result in the phone being replaced (as all repairs must be permanent).

In your case, it appears the fault is intermittent - the second check didn't result in the fault being replicated, and it appears your own experience with the phone was that the issue returned at a later date.

Thanks,

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Poster

Hi DAZ and thanks for your reply,

Before I sent the phone for the second time, the fault was confirmed by the staff in the vodafone shop(therefore No Fault Found is a mistake).

I understand that can be intermitent fault. In fact when I collected, it was working fine for 8 hours or so before it went faulty again. But I think the test procedure that FonFix implements should catch this issue. Actually that's their rensponsability.

To be fair I work as Electronic Engineer and I have 12 years of experience in repairs, testing and design. Now am working for the aerospace industry.

Here are the facts:

i)  The phone always has the same symthoms/behaviour when it gets into faulty mode.
ii) The first time it went for repairs they found a faulty mechanical component which was replace (I would love to have more information about this faulty mechanical component but FoneFix does not provide any)

iii)  11 days after, it went faulty again with the same behaviour. FoneFix stated that No Fault was Found even when the Vodafone staff witness/verified that the fone was faulty.

iv) The next morning after I collected the phone for the second time my phone was faulty again. I went to the vodafone shop and this time the staff there took evidences of the faulty behaviour of the phone. They took pictures and notes describing everything and sent it back to FoneFix.

v)  FoneFix updated the status of my phone this morning stating "Faulty Display"

Sorry but this is something very hard to understand for someone with my background. The phone had manufactures issue with a mechanical component first, then it was replaced and fixed. After 11 days now looks like it is the display...???

It seems to me that FoneFix does not have a clue. They just trying things. First they replaced a mechanical component. That did not help. The second time they  did not find anything. And now is a faulty display....really?.

We are talking about a 600euro phone which I bought 4 months ago.

I hope you can understand my frustation.

Thanks for your help anyway

View more options
Poster

Hi there,

I got some news and some questions. The news are that the status of my phone has been updated. Now it says:

FonFix Status:   Awaiting Exchange Unit

Could someone explain to me what does it mean?. I guess that they are gonna replace my phone with a new one but I would like someone to verify this.

Will my exchange phone be  a new phone?

Will my exchange phone be a used or repaired phone?

Thanks

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya,

An exchange would be either a new or refurbished unit that meets the manufacturers standards (essentially 'as new').

Thanks,

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
View more options
Poster

A refurbished unit?. Guys I paid 600 euro and you sold me a faulty phone which has been in FixFone for 21 of the last 30 days. And now I may get a refurbished phone?. This is a joke

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya,
I'm going to drop you over a PM with a possible solution?

Thanks,

View more options
Poster

Yes please.

Very kind

View more options
Poster
This sounds very frustrating! I would have expected a better customer service from Vodafone
View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yvonne,

Is there anything we can help you with here?

Thanks,

View more options
Poster

So after 5 weeks am sorted. I got a new phone. FoneFix could not fix my phone so they sent a new replacement.

Lets hope that this will work.

Thanks DAZ

View more options
Valued Poster

Good to hear its sorted - now you can enjoy your phone minus the stress :-)    Enjoy the S4

View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good stuff - you know where we are if you need anything else.

Thanks,

View more options
Poster
View more options
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya,

If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, I can look into this for you?

Mobile number:

Order number:

IMEI number of the returned phone:
Address:
Date of birth:
Link to this thread:

Thanks,

View more options

Hi there,

Unfortunately, if our repair centre was unable to detect a fault with your handset / unable to recreate the issue you are experiencing, we would be unable to escalate this issue further. I'm really sorry about that. If you're still experiencing issues with your handset, I would advise bringing the phone to the store and they can send it for repair again- the engineers will perform an extended test on the phone.

Thanks,

Ashling

View more options
Top Contributors
my-vodafonemenufacebooktwittercommunityclosechevron-downchevron-up