Support:

Other Devices

Search in Community:
Poster

Smart Prime 6 losing signal

Posted from Apple iPad

I bought a smart prime 6 in June this year. It worked fine for a few weeks then began losing signal to point where 

I could not receive/make calls. I took phone back to Western Cellular in Tuam Galway. They sent phone for repair. Just over a week later I got phone back with new logic board fitted for free. Phone worked fine again for approx 2 weeks and now same fault has returned. Took phone back to shop again asked for it to be exchanged for same or offered to put extra cash towards more expensive phone but they refused saying they have to send off again for repair. Phone was only €90, surely sending phone off repeatedly for repair doesn't make sense wasting my time and their time. At what point will they decide it makes most sense to give me a replacement?

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 18 (1,967 Views)
Topics: 48
Kudos: 530
Solutions: 492

Re: Smart Prime 6 losing signal

Hi there,
We use the processes outlined by the manufacturer for resolution, so in this case, if a repair was offered, this would be the correct next step.

Thanks,

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 2 of 18 (1,936 Views)
Poster

Posted from Apple iPad

Hi Daz,

Sorry, are you saying I should be offered a replacement or my phone needs to be sent away again?

Thanks,

Jon

Message 3 of 18 (1,931 Views)

Hi Jon,
The phone needs to be sent away again, as that's the manufacturers agreed process.

Thanks,

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 4 of 18 (1,921 Views)
Poster

Posted from Vodafone 895n
The phone is faulty this can be clearly seen. The phone was sent away for repair once and same fault has reoccurred. I didn't buy my phone from the manufacturer I bought it from Western Cellular in Tuam, so my contract is with them. I understand that the consumer laws relating to the sale of faulty goods entitle me to a refund or replacement. Why are these laws not being applied here?
Message 5 of 18 (1,905 Views)
Topics: 54
Kudos: 1,058
Solutions: 203

Western Cellular is a vodafone agent but your contract of sale is with them as per consumer law.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
Message 6 of 18 (1,895 Views)
Poster

[ Edited ]
Posted from Apple iPad

My understanding of consumer law is that Western Cellular are now obliged to replace my faulty phone. Is this correct?

Message 7 of 18 (1,892 Views)

Well Western Cellular are responsible for sorting out the issue as they were the company that sold you the vodafone device. If it was a vodafone owned store then it would be vodafone that is legally responsible.

Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S9 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
Message 8 of 18 (1,889 Views)
Poster

[ Edited ]
Posted from Apple iPad

Consumer law says a repair must be permanent, if same the fault occurs again the item should be replaced. I explained this to the shop assistant the last time I was in the store but they would not take this on board. Any advice on how to proceed?

Message 9 of 18 (1,886 Views)

The law is a little vague but it does state that if a repair is made to the device then the repair must be permanent for that particular failure. See here:

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods#2
Cookie
Message 10 of 18 (1,883 Views)
Poster

Posted from Apple iPad

I got my information from the same website. So frustrating to deal with this. Phone is obviously faulty, I just don't understand what is to be gained by anyone from sending the faulty phone away again. Thanks for your help.

Message 11 of 18 (1,882 Views)

The site outlines options on escalation.
Cookie
Message 12 of 18 (1,880 Views)

Hi there,
The 'repair must be permanent' advice is an interpretation of law on the part of that site, and does not appear in the actual Sale Of Goods Act which governs this situation.
Accordingly, the steps you've been advised here are correct.

Thanks,

Message 13 of 18 (1,857 Views)
Poster

Posted from Apple iPad

Hi Daz,

Are you saying that another interpretation could be that a non-permanent repair is acceptable?

Even though I only paid €90 for the phone I still expect it to allow me to make and receive calls.

So far I would estimate that my time, the sales advisor's time, the replacement parts, engineers' time etc. have amounted to well over the value of the phone.

At what point does common sense kick in in this process?

Thanks,

Message 14 of 18 (1,805 Views)

Exactly so - a fault that returns may be repaired again, as there is is no outright stipulation that a second repair cannot be offered.

As we follow the manufacturers guidelines in the warranty process, it would be up to them to agree a different outcome.

Thanks,

Message 15 of 18 (1,778 Views)
Poster

Posted from Motorola Moto G (4)
Nor is there an outright stipulation that a 257th repair cannot be offered, but at some point common sense has to kick in. The phone cost €90. The cost of repairs to this point has exceeded this. Can Vodafone employees not go off script and use their common sense to benefit their company and their customers?
Message 16 of 18 (1,659 Views)

Hi there,

As Daz has previously pointed out, we are unable to provide you with an alternative option with the repair of your handset as we follow manufacturer guidelines in the warranty process.  If you have been advised the handset will need to be sent away for repairs this will be the course of action Vodafone will have adhere to.

Thanks,

Message 17 of 18 (1,646 Views)
Poster

[ Edited ]
Posted from Apple iPhone

Please don't post the same thing in multiple locations. It causes confusion and delays responses. It is also against forum rules. Stick to one location:

https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Other-Devices/Logic-board/m-p/218763

Message 18 of 18 (531 Views)