Search in Community:
Poster

No Vodafone 4G in Kilcar

Vodafone called to offer me a broadband package, which I turned down.  My phone line can only get a slow DSL connection and Vodafone only has 3G in my area, ruling out their mobile broadband service.  Going by the National Broadband Plan map, we are several houses from the last FTTH blue dot.  Smiley Frustrated

Three has 4G here since 2015 and I was getting great speed, often hitting 50Mbps.  Unfortunately, their speed dwindled away and I was lucky to get 2Mbps after 8pm by the end of 2016.  I recently tested Three again with a prepay SIM and got about 1Mbps at 8pm despite a good 4G signal. 

I already checked Meteor, but they have no intention of offering 4G here.  I was with a fixed wireless broadband provider (Bluebox) until two years ago, but like Three its network dropped to a snail's crawl each evening.

Does Vodafone have any plan on bringing 4G to Kilcar (Co. Donegal)?  I would consider switching to Vodafone’s 4G broadband if it offered 4G here as FTTH will be years away.  

With the severe contention on Three, I’m sure I’m not the only one that would welcome 4G from another network. Smiley Wink

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 3 (129 Views)

Re: No Vodafone 4G in Kilcar

Hi there,

I have checked this with our network crew and unfortunately there are no existing plans to roll out 4G in the Kilcar area, however this may be something we look into in the future. As we do support good 3G service in this area, I may suggest our 3G device, this bill pay package comes with 15GB of data for €15 per month, if you would like more info on this bundle, please contact our sales team on 1907.

Thanks,

Ashling

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 2 of 3 (127 Views)
Highlighted
Poster

Re: No Vodafone 4G in Kilcar

I recently checked with a prepay Vodafone SIM and while I get a good 3G signal outside the house, unfotunately the speed test measured around 3Mbps in the evening.  While that is faster than the 4G speed I get on Three, it is no faster than my DSL connection.

Thanks for checking and coming back to me. Cat Happy 

Message 3 of 3 (124 Views)