Search in Community:
Topics: 48
Kudos: 530
Solutions: 492

Huawei HG658c Software Update

[ Edited ]

A new firmware is available for the Vodafone Huawei HG658c modem - follow these steps to download and install this update.
Please note that in most cases the update will be remotely installed by Vodafone when it becomes available - the guide below is for folks who would like to do this manually.

Step 1.

Click on this link http://192.168.1.1 to open the configuration page for your modem.

Step 2.

When prompted, use the following details to log in:

• Username: admin
  • Password: admin1234

Step 3.

The Device information table will be shown on screen.

deviceinformation.png

• If the ‘Software Version’ ends in B214 (or a higher number) then your modem is up to date and you do not need to take any further action.
  • However if the ‘Software Version’ ends in B211 or B211SP10, then click here to download the latest firmware file.
  • On the popup dialog box click Save and choose a location to save the ZIP folder to.
  • Open the ZIP folder and move the BIN file to a convenient location such as your desktop; you will need to locate this file later on.

Step 4.

Return to your modem’s configuration page

configpage.jpg

A) From the left hand menu select Maintenance.

B) Then click Device.

C) Click on the Firmware Upgrade tab.

D) Click on the Browse... button and locate the BIN file you extracted earlier from the ZIP folder, then click Open.

E) Click the Software Upgrade button.

Do NOT power off your modem while the software update is in progress!

It will take about two minutes for the update to be applied, after which the modem will automatically restart itself.

Step 5.

It is now recommended to restore the modem’s default settings.

• Log back into the modem’s configuration page.
  • From the left hand menu click on Maintenance then Device.
  • Finally click on the Restore Default Settings button.
Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 47 (84,859 Views)
Frequent Poster

Re: Huawei HG658c Software Update

Thank you for a very useful and timely post.  Much appreciated.  Out of interest why would I do a restore?  Wont that delete all my lan settings,  ports open etc!!  Means I would have to start again!!

Message 2 of 47 (84,783 Views)

Hiya,
Mainly to clear any old settings that may not function as you'd like with the new functionality - it's recommended, but not required.

Thanks,

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 3 of 47 (84,625 Views)
Frequent Poster

Just out of interest..

I just got a new modem sent out. It has the latest firmware, but in : maintenance> device there's no 'firmware upgrade', or 'configuration file' tabs, only reset. Will these options appear if a new firmware is available? Or is there some advanced option to open them up?

I'm thinking the tabs SHOULD be there regardless, so as to reinstall the firmware if needed .. or to revert to an older firmware etc..

Any thoughts?

Message 4 of 47 (84,507 Views)
mjf
Poster

Hi Gi Joe,

Are you connecting with standard 'vodafone' user or with the 'admin' user? You'll need to use the 'admin' user to have the upgrade options.

Message 5 of 47 (84,457 Views)

Hiya,
I'll ask the developers on this one...

Thanks,

Message 6 of 47 (84,455 Views)
Frequent Poster

Ah yes.. I was wondering why the username & password was different above. Never linked the two.. duh like!! Sorted now nice one!!
Message 7 of 47 (84,447 Views)
Poster

hi,

How i can change WAN user name and pasword i want try vodafone moden on another provider fibre. when i login as admin i cant change hi anyway.

Thanks

Message 8 of 47 (80,186 Views)
Frequent Poster

Depends who the other provider is.. If you were going the opposite way it would be something like this: https://support.vodafone.ie/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1003&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=VIEW...

Try googling: 'use vodafone modem with (insert other provider)' and it should take you to their webpage with their settings..

Message 9 of 47 (80,152 Views)
Poster

[ Edited ]

Hi

I have this modem and recently bought a new Samsung Smart TV 2014 and a Galaxy S5, I am having trouble with the streaming alot of buffering and loosing of connection in particular with the tv, lots of lag etc , i have had both the tv and phone checked no problem there,  a friend of mine has problems connecting his s5 to my router too loosing of connection etc,

someone has suggested that I need to change router settings can you help me with this please, the problem is mostly with streaming from my laptop to tv or phone to tv , as these are all pretty up to date and expensive pieces of equipment i should be able to stream no bother without hassle, my tv tends to fall in and out of connection with the router, we fall in and out of connection with netflix and also with the xbox, need help please very frustrating.  Also when I tried to get into my modem homepage with username: vodafone and password: vodafone it wouldn't accept these details, these are the details on the back of my modem, so I couldn't even get to the homepage to try anything myself.  Somebody suggested changing Qos settings.

Evelyn

Message 10 of 47 (79,428 Views)
Frequent Poster

The vodafone, vodafone should work alright to login to the modem.. I assume you're using the http://192.168.1.1/ to log in to.. yea or http://192.168.1.2 depending on the router? I tried messing with the Qos before but it didn't make much difference to anything. it seems the auto settings for Qos are good from the start. 

Here's my 2cents..

Make sure there's nothing blocking the router... walls etc.. microwaves and some electrical equipment sometimes affect routers.

Make sure the router isin't too far away.

The S5 takes very large videos! if you're streaming a video it might be a few GB in size even if its a short video especially HD videos.

Make sure you're not using too many devices at the same time.

Try the software update mentioned in this article, might help.

Message 11 of 47 (79,411 Views)
Poster

[ Edited ]

Thanks, I have moved the router into the same room, no obstructions, it is supposedly able to support 32 connections, at any one time in the house there might be five or six people connecting, laptop, one HTC M8, one Iphone 4, samsung smart tv is all that is connected most days, the files would be big enought most video files would be over a gig as anything much lower on the TV is a waste,  I was using 192.168.1.1 login but its not working, i get to the login page it just won't accept username: vodafone or password: vodafone

I have even tried turning off everything all connections to the router, except my laptop and tv and I have attempted to stream from laptop to tv using samsung view, but it just lags, stops and says loading, plays a bit then stops, loading etc etc Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 47 (79,405 Views)
Frequent Poster

Ah right, the modems wireless speed is more than likely 150Mbps, which is ~18 MegaBytes per second, and modems rarely hit that full value so the max transfer speed is probably ~15MB per second. The phones wireless transfer speed is probably less than that so that may be your problem.

Might be better off connecting using an ethernet cable for the TV and a USB for the phones if you're doing anything with large files. When I transfer files wirelessy from phone to PC it takes a lot longer to do it than with a cable.

P.S. Its vodafone for name AND password.. (just in case you weren't using it for both)

Message 13 of 47 (79,392 Views)
Frequent Poster

if that fails try

• Username: admin
  • Password: admin1234

for the router, to enter the administrator account..

Message 14 of 47 (79,389 Views)
Poster

[ Edited ]

Thanks again, I was hoping when I bought my fancy Samsung smart tv that I would be able to stream without a hitch from my laptop to the tv without the necessity for cables.

My phone actually streams better to the tv, it has lag and not too many people can be connected but it does work.  However the problem is streaming from laptop to tv, just doesn't work, was just hoping there was something in the router I could change, was thinking of purchasing another router, maybe I'm just clutching at straws, really do not want to be running cables to everything again as I don't use TV just internet etc.  will give all of the above ago hopefully it will work, thanks again.

Message 15 of 47 (79,387 Views)
Frequent Poster

Ah right, Then it may be the laptops wifi is slower..  if the laptop is a few years old  that could be the problem. If the laptop has an 802.11n (54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/s) wifi card installed you should be ok.

But if its 802.11a (1.5 to 54Mbit/s)  older laptops

or

802.11b (11 Mbit/s) Thats probably the problem alright then..

Phones nowadays usually have 802.11n..

If thats the case, and you want the laptop streaming badly enough, an 'n' wifi card is cheap enough to buy online and easy enough to install too.. just open the back and slot it in..

Message 16 of 47 (79,375 Views)
Poster

Is the firmware listed in the first thread still the most recent firmware for the HG658c?

Message 17 of 47 (68,356 Views)
Frequent Poster

I don't know what the latest is but when I got mine it had the b218 firmware already on it about 9 months ago. It's hard to find any firmware for Huawei modems online.. This is the full version in case you want to google it: V100R001C172B218

Message 18 of 47 (68,332 Views)

Hi there,
Yes, the links in the initial post are updated when a new firmware version is released, so this is the current release (putting non standard firmware onto the device may cause operational issues and void the warranty, so be cautious when doing this).

Thanks,

Message 19 of 47 (68,235 Views)
Regular

Is V100R001C172B218 the latest firmware?

Message 20 of 47 (66,104 Views)