Support:

Fixed Service Packages & Plans

Search in Community:
Poster

switching to another isp... procedure

Hi there. Following the new price hikes, I have shopped around and decided I want to switch provider, Eir to be specific. I am out of contract for the last fcouple of months with Vodafone.

My vodafone bill is due on 8 December, which covers broadband usage for peiod 1 to 31 december. If I switch to Eir, and they connect me up on for example, the 10th of December, do I forfeit 20 odd days of vodafone broadband usage that I have prepaid for?

Is there a specific time of the month I should change provider?

I'm not sure if this makes any sense as it's tricky to explain.

regards

pat.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...
Message 1 of 14 (119 Views)

Re: switching to another isp... procedure

Hi Pat,

I'm sorry to hear you're looking to switch providers, I can confirm if you would like to cancel your existing service completely or if you would prefer to have your existing service switched over to the Eir network?

Thanks,

Ashling

Learn all about our new forum, right here .
To send me a private message, simply click here
Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 2 of 14 (101 Views)
Poster

Hi Ashling,

Thanks for your reply. I'd like to switch over to Eir network with as little downtime as possible, but I'm just curious about my last bill and how it will be calculated. 

Pat.

Message 3 of 14 (98 Views)

As you are required to provide Vodafone with 30 days’ notice if you wish to cancel your service, If you request to have your existing service moved over to Eir, Eir would need to submit this request on your behalf, once submitted, Vodafone will be alerted that you're leaving the network and will proceed with issuing you with your final bill 30 days later. As you pay in advance for the cost of your monthly package plan, if you begin a new billing period while this notice period is pending, you will receive one final bill for the full cost of your monthly package plus any additional usage charges for the month previous.

Thanks,

Please include a link to your thread when sending these over - due to the volume of queries, PMs without a thread link will not be answered.
Message 4 of 14 (94 Views)
Poster

Wow, 30 days notice.

So I call Eir now 1st December,they'll go through their ordeal, probably contact vodafone in the next few days, say the 3rd December. 30 days notice from then brings me into January. Meanwhile I am moved to Eir mid December at the latest.

So effectively I'll pay;

Vodafone €50 on 8 december (for 1 dec to 31 dec)

Eir €35 today (for month of december presumably)

Vodafone €50 again on 8 January (because 30 days will run into next billing period, January)

Eir €35 in January (for month of January).

I have to pay both ISPs for 2 months?

Hopefully, I'm calculating this incorrectly.

Message 5 of 14 (89 Views)

I'm afraid that I only confirm the expected billing on your Vdafone account, once Eir have requested that Vodafone release your line so this can switched to their network, this will be viewed as official notice that you wish to cancel your Vodafone at Home account and will begin your 30 day cancellation notice period. At the end of this notice period, your Vodafone at Home account will be fully disconnected and your final bill will be issued.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 14 (82 Views)
Topics: 54
Kudos: 1,002
Solutions: 182

Posted from Android 2.0
You can cancel with Vodafone, wait 30 days then sign up to eir.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S8 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
Message 7 of 14 (81 Views)
Poster

Yes I think this is probably what I will do. But the window in which to do this is around 27-29 of a month, otherwise the 30 days will run into a new month and from what I understand once you do that you will be billed for that whole month.

I could take a chance and do it today, 1 December, contract should then cease on 31 December, but I'd rather allow a couple of days in case the 30 days happens (due to unforeseen circumstances) to run into January.
It'll also mean a period in between where I will have no service while new ISP hooks me up, but I'll suffer that if I have to.
Message 8 of 14 (79 Views)
Poster

Sorry now to drag this up again, but just need to get it clear in my head. If I ring the cancellation section of Vodafone today, 4 December, and ask them to cancel my contract, because they require 30 days notice, I'll be billed €50 for the whole of this month, and €50 for the whole of January?

Message 9 of 14 (55 Views)

Hi there,

If you give notice today that you would like to close your Vodafone at Home account, your 30 day notice period would begin and your service would then be cancelled on the 3rd of January. As you will be entering into a new billing period while you serve your 30 days’ notice, you will receive one final bill for the cost of your monthly bundle. If you would like to discuss this in further detail, I would recommend that you get in touch with our cancellations team on 1907.

Thanks,

Ashling

Message 10 of 14 (54 Views)
Poster

okay I will ring them. Seems a bit much, that even though I am out of contract that I will still have to pay €100 to vodafone if I want to move to another service provider.
Message 11 of 14 (49 Views)

Posted from Android 2.0
Why? You can cancel the day before your bill cycles. See out the 30 days, Pay no more line rental and then join eir.
Cookie
Vodafone Community Expert (or so I'm told) and S8 owner. I don't work for Vodafone
Message 12 of 14 (43 Views)
Poster

Well okay, that means I'll have to wait till 28/29 December approx which is quite awkward with the Christmas break, then try and organise Eir to connect me up on 27/28 January exactly to minimise downtime.

No problem, the process will only take 2 months, (considering I decided to do this a few days ago) and that's if everything goes according to plan.

I'm not trying to be smart or anything, as the other thing that puts me off is I'll probably have the same ordeal in 12 months time when I want to leave Eir.

Message 13 of 14 (31 Views)
Highlighted

You will have to compromise. The reason for the 30days notice is that you pay in advance for line rental and in arrears for items outside of your plan allowance.

It is too messy for companies to set up systems to manage part refunds of people leaving at varying periods during their billing cycle. It's not complicated but it requires planning and compromise.

Remember it could take eir a number of weeks to activate your broadband so if you've left vodafone you may not have any service for a period.
Cookie
Message 14 of 14 (29 Views)